Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 May 2024, 14:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello on a great day
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2015, 13:43 

Good day to you all,

I finally took the plunge on a new monitor having followed developments here for the past 18 months or so. Finally thought I should sign up to the forums having used it as a info resource for so long.

I didn't end up getting my most desirable of a 34" at 1440 lines but instead opted for the budget option of a LG29UM67-P. Really wanted to have freesync and without spending a fortune, the 34" was also only 1080 lines (the one in a deal) which I thought was a bit low for the size and decided I was comfortable in my setup with my 24" monitor with the 29" being basically wider.

Now it's mounted beautifully on my desk next the my additional 23". Plus now no real need to upgrade my R9 290. Very happy.

Give it a year and I'm sure I'll crave more!

Regards,
Martin

Post subject: Re: Hello on a great day
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2015, 03:07 
Editors
Editors

:welcome

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2015, 04:25 

I agonized over this same dilemma of 1080 v 1440. I ended up getting a 3440x1440 34UM95 and I'm super happy with it but I think some of that pixel density is wasted since my 970 can't keep up with intensive games. For now I think 2560x1080 is the way to go for a balance of performance and increased real estate.

Welcome to the 21:9 club!

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2015, 15:27 

Don't make me jealous!

I had a great night of gaming last night, but my biggest satisfaction was with a game that has received terrible press. Last night I went back to Arkham Knight, changed my res to 2560x1080, stuck everything on high and removed the FPS limit for the first time (I never did it before as didn't see the point considering the manageable put fairly regular performance issues). I was blown away, comfortably staying between 100-120 fps with my simple R9 290, the game was beautiful.

My two young sons came in and just watched Batman fly around for 45 minutes. I so glad I'm one of the lucky ones, it looks stunning on a 21:9 monitor. Elite Dangerous is also great for when not using the DK2!