Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2019, 17:53 

This site launched 16 years ago when 4:3 was the norm, and was a valuable asset as games and monitors transitioned to widescreen. It still provides that essential service for Ultra-wide and Multi-monitor users (and as a multi-monitor user, I am eternally grateful!).

But now that 16:9 has become the default aspect ratio for games, should we rethink how reports and grading are handled, and update them to better reflect the modern landscape?

For example, take Far Cry 5 (and New Dawn): http://www.wsgf.org/dr/far-cry-5/en

Looking at the screenshots, the game is obviously Vert- going from 4:3 to 16:9, which would automatically get it a Limited Widescreen Support grade and Limited Multi-Monitor Support grade. But that seems inherently wrong for a game that was no doubt designed for a 16:9 aspect ratio, and thus should probably be viewed instead as Vert+ with regard to the increasingly niche 16:10 and 4:3 aspect ratios.

Edit: I just saw that you had a similar discussion about this 6 years ago: http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 3&start=10
I guess you decided to use Vert+ as the designation for such modern games instead? Should that be moved up the option list, next to or above Hor+, instead of listed at the bottom? And should we update the Terms page to include it?