Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Jun 2024, 15:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2009, 04:43 

[quote]Long shot question here I know. Is there a solution or a way to hack Widescreen Support for the MAC version of KOTOR? Thanks!

This should really go in the Request/Disucss Solutions forum, but then again so should the last 11 pages, so might as well...

The edited HUD and background files should presumably work without modification (though meaningless of course if you can't hack in the widescreen to being with) However, UniWS will not.

Your best bet would be to get a Mac hex editor (just search, there are several free ones available) and follow the hex editing guide on the first page of this thread. More than likely the Mac version code is different enough that you unfortunately won't be able to match the hex strings, but you never know, it's worth a shot.

Awesome post, thanks for the kind reply. Yeah I am not much into hex editing so I doubt I cold figure it out. I know it was a long shot but figured I'd try :)

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2009, 06:01 

Neither the UniWS patcher or the hex method work for me.

For UniWS, I get the following error:
Unable to write to SWKOTOR.EXE for patch #x! Close all programs/games before patching.

It repeats six times with x changing from 6 down to 1.

For the hex method, it simply gives me an "access denied" error when I try to save the file.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2009, 15:34 

Neither the UniWS patcher or the hex method work for me.

Unable to write to SWKOTOR.EXE for patch #x! Close all programs/games before patching.

For the hex method, it simply gives me an "access denied" error when I try to save the file.

that means your file is locked by an application or windows explorer itself (which happens)
try to reboot your computer and modify the file right away
if that doesn't work reboot in safe mode and modify the file right away

alternatively most games don't care about the main executable filename so you might try to save it as a different name and start the game from this particular executable.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2009, 04:07 

[quote]Neither the UniWS patcher or the hex method work for me.

that means your file is locked by an application or windows explorer itself (which happens)
try to reboot your computer and modify the file right away
if that doesn't work reboot in safe mode and modify the file right away

alternatively most games don't care about the main executable filename so you might try to save it as a different name and start the game from this particular executable.
Thanks for your suggestions; however, none of them worked. Same patching and access errors. Is it possible that the UAC is interfering?

Edit: Ruled out the UAC.

Also, I tried moving the EXE to another folder outside the Program Files and it still wouldn't work.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2009, 21:27 

Thanks for your suggestions; however, none of them worked. Same patching and access errors. Is it possible that the UAC is interfering?

Also, I tried moving the EXE to another folder outside the Program Files and it still wouldn't work.

it's rather strange that you can't save the file to another name !!
moreso if even in safe mode it doesn't work...
hum did you think about disabling "read-only" ?

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2009, 22:11 

[quote]

it's rather strange that you can't save the file to another name !!
moreso if even in safe mode it doesn't work...
hum did you think about disabling "read-only" ?
Well, if I change the name, then UniWS can't find the EXE.

Edit: omg! Unchecking "Read Only" worked! UniWS was able to patch it! Thank you soooo much!

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2009, 01:20 

Well, if I change the name, then UniWS can't find the EXE.

Edit: omg! Unchecking "Read Only" worked! UniWS was able to patch it! Thank you soooo much!

hahaha :lol:
you know when I suggested to save under a different name of course it was for manual modification not for UniWS.

of course if you rename the file UniWS wants it won't find it :roll:

Post subject: It hurts, it hurts
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2009, 19:12 

Hello all, I have tried reading the advice but I am still having problems.

I am using uniws.exe to try to patch kotor and I was able to patch my copy of KotoR 2 with little problem following the guides that are available.

However I am having major problems with patching KotoR. Summary of what I have done:

- I installed the game
- I used automatic update to get game to version 1.03b
- I tried using uniws.exe to get it to 1280 x 800 which worked fine for kotor 2 but does for kotor, it complains about not being to do patch #2 or something.
- I read that 1280 x 800 simply doesn't work for kotor I didn't want to except this so I tried hex editing and downloading a no-cd version of the exe and that didn't work for various reasons. So I accept it doesn't work.
- I tried using uniws.exe to get it to 1440 x 900 which again doesn't work on the updated exe or the no-cd version.
- So I tried hex editing that file however the HUD is a complete mess despite attempting using the WSGF HUD Hacks.

So now I am pulling my hair out, can anyone help please?

I have Windows 7 64-bit with nvidia drivers 186.03 and kotor 2 works just fine with a lovely HUD.

Post subject: Fixed my own problem
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2009, 22:58 

Separate post as it solves problem above... kinda.

To patch the exe I moved it out of it's existing folder, into another directory. Which leads me to believe that the nvidia driver is always modifying / interfering with that exe. I couldn't modify the no-CD version but that isn't a problem. I can patch to any resolution I like now.

Reading another post by badock and Suikotsu on another forum I set the resolution to 1281x801 which allows the game to work fine, only problem is with the GUI. It's at 1024x768. However it doesn't look to bad, I wonder if anyone knows how I can get the GUI to fit now.

Thank you.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2009, 03:28 

I remember needing the DVD for KotOR because the widescreen solution didn't work on the no-disc crack... sucked. Glad you got it working though, despite your UI problems. I can't really help past the info already provided in the DR.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 32  Next