Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Jun 2024, 06:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: 2560x1600 Movies Black
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2009, 03:45 

Hello,

Thanks a lot for all the work you've done.

I recently purchased this from Direct2Drive and the hacked exe works with this and your UniWS program.

I have managed to get the game playing at 2560x1600 but the movies are black, i can hear them but i can't see them.

Is there anything i can do to fix this?

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2009, 03:47 

New poster here. First of all, many thanks to Wogg and Sweetz/Malakaius for all their work, enabling me to play this game in widescreen. My hat's off to them. Being a coder and having known my way around an hex-editor since I was 12 or so, I am perfectly aware of the trouble they had. Thanks to the WGF community in general as well. Now, from the good onto the bad :):

I have the same problem as the above poster, but with the Steam version. I replace the Steam .exe with the one from FairLight (1.03). UniWS detected and correctly patched the game, and it plays in my chosen resolution (1680x1050) fine. I also installed Malakaius' HUD files. However, there are some problems:

1) No image on the fullmotion video sequences. Only sound is heard. The above poster also reports this.
2) The intro videos for the game (LucasArts/etc) do appear, but in 1680x1050 they're zoomed, as if they had been scaled to 1600x1200 instead, apparently (not certain, it just looks to be that way).
3) The game crashes when entering a new area and/or quicksaving (which will, incidentally, wipe the quicksave). I suspect a memory leak introduced somewhere, somehow, because it tends to happen after some playing time.

I've tried other similar resolutions, like 1440x900, 1600x1000, etc, but these problems still pop up. Interestingly enough, anything 1600 or above produces the "zoomed in intro videos" described in point 2 above. Any ideas?

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2009, 05:33 

My intro videos are zoomed as well, I think that is a normal side effect. I think it is setup that way because the in-game videos zoom, but since they were widescreen in 4:3 it makes them anamorphic, in a sense.

As for crashing, my game has not, even when I played it for 4 hours straight the other night, so it is not a widescreen patch issue.

Not sure what to say on the videos not appearing... possibly a codec issue? A friend of mine said his game minimizes when videos show, though I haven't experienced that either.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2009, 22:09 

As for crashing, my game has not, even when I played it for 4 hours straight the other night, so it is not a widescreen patch issue.

Yesterday I removed the patch and played for hours straight without a single CTD. I'll play some more tonight and will keep updating this.

Not sure what to say on the videos not appearing... possibly a codec issue? A friend of mine said his game minimizes when videos show, though I haven't experienced that either.

I just checked, it's definitely patch-related. I put my game back to stock condition, the videos pop up fine. It's also not a problem with using FairLight's no-CD exe because I tried with that one and with the Steam exe and the videos show just fine with either.

I think that possibly some of the Steam version's contents might be different. If anyone has any ideas and/or wants me to make some debugging, just tell me.

PS - Regarding that minimizing behaviour, I've come across it once or twice. I think that the thing is that when a movie pops up, sometimes the game loses focus for whatever reason and you end up invisibly clicking the desktop, thus minimizing the game in the process. I noticed that because once I clicked to skip a movie I was only hearing, then the game minimizes and I had selected an icon on the desktop.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2009, 02:55 

Well, the patch is the same for everyone, and I am using the Steam version, so if it directly caused these issues everyone would be having them.

It could be a conflict with the patch and some driver or codec on your system, though.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2009, 04:02 

I just checked, it's definitely patch-related. I put my game back to stock condition, the videos pop up fine. It's also not a problem with using FairLight's no-CD exe because I tried with that one and with the Steam exe and the videos show just fine with either.

It's possibly a problem with the game's build in Bink player, but I'm pretty sure other people have patched to 1680x1050 and the movies run fine for them.

Regardless there is a way to patch the game without changing movie resolution.

1. Undo any previous patching with UniWS, or start with a fresh copy of the executable.
2. Open the patches.ini file that comes with UniWS in Wordpad.
3. Scroll down to the section labeled: [Star Wars: KOTOR (1024x768 interface)]
4. Delete this entire section:
Code:
;movies edit 1
   p4modfile=swkotor.exe
   p4undofile=swkotorc.undom1
   p4sig=800200007515813DD8D17800E001
   p4sigwild=00000000000000
   p4xoffset=0
   p4yoffset=12
   p4occur=1
   ;movies edit 2
   p5modfile=swkotor.exe
   p5undofile=swkotorc.undom2
   p5sig=80020000C7442410E001
   p5sigwild=0000000000
   p5xoffset=0
   p5yoffset=8
   p5occur=1

5. Save the file and then patch the game with UniWS as normal.

This will make the movies play in the game's normal resolution of 640x480 (by default the game is hardcoded to play movies in this resolution regardless of the selected resolution). If your monitor is slow to do mode switches, the first couple seconds may be black.

-----

Unrelated to the above, for moderators: do you think we should clean up this thread and lock it down? The DR really isn't the right place for all the help requests, but a lot of newcomers seem to post here instead of the proper forum - can't really blame them when there are this many posts already.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2009, 15:37 

Just wanted to say thanks!

The movies are now working again with 2560x1600.

I don't care if they are low resolution as long as i can see them.

I can't confirm the crashing Morphine was talking about as i haven't played the game since i was missing the movies.

:D

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2009, 16:33 

I've confirmed that the crashing does occur in the original game, and it seems at least partially related to ATI's OpenGL drivers. I had two crashes yesterday, one when simply in game, in ATI's OpenGL DLL, and another in the game executable itself (that one blew my quicksave).

JoeBlow: do you have a Nvidia or ATI graphics card?

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2009, 23:35 

Another update: after browsing the Steam forums, it's confirmed: this is a problem with the game and ATI's drivers. Can't tell for sure which but I'm guessing the former since everything else runs just fine. Anyway:

The crashing seems to occur more frequently the higher the resolution is. I'm guessing that it's a memory leak/corruption issue, which would explain the shorter time between crashes when in the higher resolutions.

There were some tentative fixes for this problem in the Steam forum, I've applied one and played for ~1hr without crashing. I still need more time testing, naturally. Sweetz, I modded the INI file as you described because of the movies, and have now reapplied the patch.

Stay tuned for further info.

As a note to the mods: I found this thread via Google, and noticed everyone discussing the widescreen patch and problems/solutions, so I just registered and posted on topic. Apologies if this wasn't the correct thread for this.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2009, 18:46 

Explanation for how to edit the hud-files to get a hud for 1680x945

I did this, and it looks like I did it correctly. Would this be something I should upload somewhere so others can use it too?
I didn't edit the 2D backgrounds though, I don't really know exactly what I need to change with those.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 32  Next