Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 11:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2008, 01:57 

I know my idea is very far from the WSGF idea, but it's not only mine.
It's the idea of all that UT-gamers who buy a new, lange, monitor (altough thy have still a widescreen one) and look for a new FOV to keep the same "feeling" with the images.

I didn't joint his forum just to say "my method (my?) it's better than yours", but only to know how my calculation was too different.
And someone give me the answer (different method)

So I didn't open this topic to say "oh, cranky, U are in wrong", but only 'cause what I read in WSGF Wiki about hor+ and vert- doesn't explain what U wrote (a vert- where U can change the FOV manually to restore the original V-view, becomes a hor+)

That's all. I remain with my idea and absolutely don't want to take other people by my side.

Other U-Game..
The games with U-Engines where are declared vert- here are:
America's army
Gears of war
Red Orchestra.

I don't own the 1st and the 2nd, so I can talk only about the 3rd.
If I remember good, Red Orchestra, when it was free and in the early retail versions had the modifyable FOV in the menu.
But now the FOV can be set only in single player, opening the console and typing.
FOV
or
set engine.playercontroller desiredfov
or modifying the correct entries in the user.ini.

So Red Orchestra can be declared vert- for the common use (MP) and hor+ for the very little users who play this game offline.

If I'll found a way to modify the FOV in multiplayer game, I think I make happy some friends of mine ^^

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2008, 03:00 
Insiders
Insiders

The MGL doesn't just list screen changes. It also lists methods. If the method is not Native, then the screen change column assumes you use the method we describe.

And since Red Orchestra is primarily a multiplayer game, our DR doesn't bother documenting the widescreen support of the singleplayer mode that virtually nobody bothers with.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2008, 10:28 

==Calculated grade: B+
If this game supported widescreen mode like this without making you edit the .ini files, it would have been certified. It just seems so strange that they would make the engine support widescreen so damn well, and not include an easy way of enabling it, and all games that use the UT engine suffer as a result.

hum? UT natively supports WS, you'll just have to select the desired resolution in the game menu. Any WIndows resolution works, i created 720x576 on my laptop, and the game supported it. No ini fiddling! version 436, but even earlier versions support it. Even Unreal 1 did it afaik.

I hate it if games don't support widescreen, even if they're only like 4 years ly, because Unreal over 10 years old, and still supports widescreen. It's no excuse that there were no Widescreen Display, cuz UT already supported it.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2008, 17:33 

The grade's note meant the game does not support widescreen PROPERLY. Yeah, you can probably choose any resolution you have, but you'd need to change your FoV accordingly too.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2008, 18:16 

And since Red Orchestra is primarily a multiplayer game, our DR doesn't bother documenting the widescreen support of the singleplayer mode that virtually nobody bothers with.

Sad but true.
Somebody thinks that Tripware (the RO creatives) locked any fov modification due to avoid differences between players online, other only "to keep RO as real as possible". BAH!

Games like UT or Quake DO need a free FOV, absolutely independent of aspect ratio, resolution and other varibales, just to "fit" the individual habits and skill. I know player that assign one fov-per-weapon: closer for hitscan, wider for spamming.
However I think this is not the place to talk about this way of playing.

Excuse me if my posts don't add news here. Bye all.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 15:45 

There are a couple of other issues that spring up in UT99 in triplehead...

1. The crosshair is 3x too large.
No fix for this yet. I've changed the crosshair to a point to help with aiming.
It might be possible to mod the crosshair texture to make it smaller.

2. First person weapon models are 3x too large.
No fix for this yet. I've had to disable first person weapon models entirely to be able to see anything on my right side.

3. Light flares are 3x too large.
No fix for this yet. Usually not a problem, but some maps are flare-heavy and are made unplayable because the flares are so large.
As with the crosshair, it might be possible to mod the flare texture to make it smaller.

4. The HUD itself is 3x too large.
Easy fix, there's a size slider in the in-game-options that lets you correct this.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2010, 07:28 

I hate it if games don't support widescreen, even if they're only like 4 years ly, because Unreal over 10 years old, and still supports widescreen. It's no excuse that there were no Widescreen Display, cuz UT already supported it.

i agree completely, GoldenEye 007 on Nintendo 64 (1997) supported full 16:9 aspect ratio for widescreen TV's yet i bought WWE Raw vs Smackdown 2010 on PS2 the other day & surprise surprise, no widescreen support, im sure you guys know all too well about this issue with PC games so i wont get started on it but there really is NO excuse for it

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2010, 23:55 

Not sure if anyone else is having this problem. First, I have UT 09' installed with the 4.36 patch and all 4 bonus packs.

Problem: I'm running windows at 1680x1050, and when UT starts up with the resolution set to 1680x1050 it runs massively slow, i.e. 1/100th of the speed it should.

The fix: Run the game at a lower resolution (edit the unrealtournament.ini file), then up the resolution via the preference panel inside the game. For whatever reason, the higher resolutions are already listed there and no hacks are needed.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2012, 02:44 

http://youtu.be/Io1kdDDHCLY

Loving the old school games on the new school hardware 8) 5760 x 1080

Cooler Master Cosmos II | ASUS X99-Deluxe | Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme S | 5930k @ 4.5GHz | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz | SLI GTX 1080 Ti's | Samsung 960 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD | Corsair AX1500i | 3DMark Fire Strike Ultra - 13,780 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Nvidia Surround® 3 x BenQ XL2735 | Samsung CHG90 Auxiliary Monitor

Post subject: Are you guys using the
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2012, 09:39 

Are you guys using the enhanced renderer's

opengl
http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/

D3d 10
http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/