Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 05:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Known Issue?
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2008, 01:54 

I used the registry hack to change my resolution to 1440x900 (native resolutions of my Samsung 906BW), because it just looks way better under native resolution.

It's worked great for the last year or so. However, since the latest Frozen Throne patch (a couple weeks ago), my display's started to glitch when I play Frozen Throne (I can't be sure that it was the patch's fault, though). I haven't noticed a pattern yet as to when/how/why it happens.

By "glitch" I mean that my display outputs...well, it reminds me of static snow I used to get on my TV as a kid, you know, when I was on a channel with no signal.

Audio's fine, however, and everything still runs, but I can't see anything but the multi-colored "snow." I can still control my computer, e.g. alt-tab, do a blind restart, etc., but all I see is snow. To fix it, I have to Alt-F4 out of warcraft, and then my display goes back to normal.

This is the first time I've EVER seen ANY computer do this, and it only happens for Warcraft. I've been googling and googling this problem with no success, so now I'm actually asking someone for help.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2008, 02:42 

Food for thought, I don't think remotely that's your current problem mind you.

The only time I've seen 'tv-like snow' on an lcd is when I tried to hook up my cable box through my receiver.

The cable box (hdmi) directly to tv worked fine. If I plugged the box to the receiver and receiver to tv however I got snow every 10 seconds or so constantly. All 3 parts are allegedly HDCP compliant yet having all three together brought back analog snow.

I'm mentionning it as a possible hint to help you figure out what's wrong, I doubt very much it's your cause though.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2008, 16:28 

Yeah, no Cable box or anything, just Warcraft. I'm currently playing on the stupid default 1152x864 resolution, and it just looks unbearably awful. Not only is the image distorted and stretched, everything's fuzzy 'cause it's not my screen's native res. I just want to get this display glitch fixed.

"TV snow" is the best descriptiong that I can give. It's not just black and white pixels, though, there's black and brown and green and a medley of other colors. I think I've mostly noticed darker colors though (i.e. no bright pink or yellow or anything).

In the end, I'll try putting in my old video card or something in case it's a hardware problem, but I'm really hoping it's something software can fix.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2008, 17:37 

Hmm, that snow you mention, does it look like lines/pixels of some color or another over the actual image or is there just snow?

I do know at one point one of my dvi cables was on the fritz and especially when coming back from sleep mode I had things like the left side with lots of blue glitches.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2008, 03:37 

It's just the snow. It's not like a scrambled picture, it's just snow. Weird, right?

And I would guess it's a hardware problem, except that Warcraft's the only game/application that has caused it, and only with the widescreen resolution. Shrug, maybe it's still a hardware problem?

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2008, 11:22 

If other apps/games in the same res. don't cause it, then I doubt it can be hardware.

Post subject: Fixed
PostPosted: 24 Aug 2008, 07:55 

I guess it WAS a hardware issue. I just upgraded MoBo, CPU, and Memory, and it doesn't happen anymore....um...yay?

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2010, 12:48 

Hi, i need some help, i changed my resolution in regedit in resheight and reswidth, i set it up to 1280x800 and in decimal, when i open may warcraft III its working good but when i close it and open it again, it goes back to 640x400, and when i open regedit, the decimal changed to hexadecimal again, it automatically changed back, can anyone help me to make it not change back to hexadecimal automatically? thankyou!!

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2011, 05:43 

Hi, i need some help, i changed my resolution in regedit in resheight and reswidth, i set it up to 1280x800 and in decimal, when i open may warcraft III its working good but when i close it and open it again, it goes back to 640x400, and when i open regedit, the decimal changed to hexadecimal again, it automatically changed back, can anyone help me to make it not change back to hexadecimal automatically? thankyou!!

It doesn't change back actually, after you entered the Decimal values in regedit, it's saved. I run 1920 x 1080 (x32 bit color) and it's working (I hate that it's stretched though) but in the game options it displays 640x480x16.
Whatever you do, do not change resolution settings in-game after you changed it in regedit. :doh
I hope it helped...

---

So... there is still no real solution for true widescreen (and in fullscreen) huh?

I registered myself at CodeCall Programming Forum and made a topic about this to maybe solve this problem once and for all, feel free to check it out and help solve the puzzle.

http://forum.codecall.net/general-programming/36593-warcraft-3-wide-screen-aspect-ratio-time-make-real-solution.html

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 23:14 

It seems that yesterday's patch added widescreen support. It only took a few years ;-)

http://www.blizzplanet.com/blog/comments/warcraft-iii-patch-1-25b-is-now-live

(Edit) I checked the newly added support for widescreen resolutions, and it is the same as the existing behaviour (i.e. it stretches). At least now you don't need to use a registry hack.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next