Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jun 2024, 13:05

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2011, 12:34 

Well.. topic says it all really.
just trying to find someone that can tell me about the game really.

maybe even someone has a spare buddy-key if im lucky :)

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2011, 17:44 

I played the beta a bit and am playing it on a buddy key right now.

What did you want to know about it?

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2011, 18:09 

well, is it good?
pros and cons?
can it be compared to any other mmo, and if so how is it by comparison?
is it very pvp focused or pve focused?
can you mix between different classes?
how are the classes?
i heard its very console influenced, is that true? if so, does it fuck the entire game like any other console influenced/ported game?
is it fun?
this one might be hard for you to answer, but im trying to decide between this and rift, so is it worth the money? (i suspect rift has more depth in the long run as fantasy based games don't have the same limitations..)

and anything else you can tell me would be nice.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2011, 18:15 

well, is it good?
pros and cons?
can it be compared to any other mmo, and if so how is it by comparison?
is it very pvp focused or pve focused?
can you mix between different classes?
how are the classes?
i heard its very console influenced, is that true? if so, does it fuck the entire game like any other console influenced/ported game?
is it fun?
this one might be hard for you to answer, but im trying to decide between this and rift, so is it worth the money? (i suspect rift has more depth in the long run as fantasy based games don't have the same limitations..)

and anything else you can tell me would be nice.

The game being good or bad is pretty subjective. Personally I find it to be so-so, nothing I would drop $50+$15 a month on and I am an MMO junkie. The PC version is a bonafide port of the console version. Mostly what it has going for it is the DC name and the combat.

It is pretty much like other superhero MMO's, but with a more action/console based combat setup, less customization of the character and less launch content. The character models are crap looking, there is far less starting customization available for your character look than the other superhero MMO's. For instance in Champions Online, I could make a character that looked like a man sized walking dragon. In DCUO, the closest you could get to that design is a man with scaly skin. Again, I can't get over how bad the character models look, very bad for a next gen game. The weapins in the game are kind of ugly looking as well. Voice overs and facial animiations for voice overs are also HORRIBLE.

The game environments of Metropolis and Gotham City are decent enough and good looking, but the city envrionments get tiresome and stale after a bit and honestly they lack that really iconic feel to them I thought they would have. The graphics are good, but nothing really blew me away.

The game is really a mix of PvE and PvP, with quests, instances, PvP instances and occassional world PvP events (called ring events they take place in certain areas of the open world) The quests are not really all that unique or intersting, same ole same ole. Quest lines typically follow the same pattern of kill 'x' amount, gather 'x' amount and/or interact with 'x' amount ending with a boss quest instance. Nothing too new or unique.

The combat is at first the intersting part, but I found it got just as stale and boring as reagular MMO combat. It is action oriented/console based combat relying to two buttons to perform attacks and also using up to 6 hotkey buttons for powers/skills. There are combos tied to the different powers and abilities, but not anything to complex or involving. Largely it feels more like button mashing and occasionally holding shift to block and/or break being stunned. Holding shift and moving causes you to roll in a dodge type movement. The combat is more fast paced and hectic than standard MMO combat, also because spawn rates are super quick in most areas, almost too quick, it makes the PvE unnecessarily difficult.

You can pick one power set and one skill set for your character. Powers include Fire, Ice, Gadgets, Nature, Mental and Sorcery, plus one or two other I think. Skills include a variety of weapon styles, martial arts, hand blasts, pistols and rifle. The ranged stuff seems overpowered compared to the melee stuff, most notably in PvP. The lack of some iconic powers like electricity is a design flaw. You can shoose from one of three special movement types: flying, super acorbatics or superspeed. Each movement type has its own spec tree like the powers and skills. The special movement systems are nice, I really like the flying. You can't mix between classes, you can choose your own mix of one power set and one skill set, but other than that it is alt city.

I found the game to be midly fun , but seems to be severly lacking in significant content. The levl cap is 30 ffs, which is piss poor for in terms of MMO's. I won't be buying it once my 10 day buddy key ends.

Interesting that you asked about Rift, because that one I am picking up when it releases, already got it preordered. It is not revolutionary by any means, but I am finding it to be fun with plenty to do and some failry interesting dynamic kind of content with the rifts and invasions.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2011, 22:01 

TYVM for a very good reply mate.

I'd still like to get my hands on a buddy key just to try it out myself, but from what im reading i wont be buying it.. unless i get to try it and it manages to change my mind. Maybe ill run into you in rift ;)