Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jun 2024, 00:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dragon Age 2
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2011, 19:47 
Insiders
Insiders

A dev responded that there was a mixup when they went gold and the "auto attack file" wasn't included on the master.

I can pretty much promise you there is no such thing as an "auto attack file." And even if there was, forgetting to include files that provide functionality won't result in a game lacking said functionality. It would result in the game not working.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2011, 20:55 
Insiders
Insiders

Here is the relevant thread:
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6395493&lf=8

From what I've been reading there is NO auto-attack option in Console DA2? Is this true? If so, why would BW lie?

OK: Here is the story.

Auto-attack option for consoles was added in to the games late in the development cycle after the initial certification build was sent. The auto-attack functionality was sent to be added to the game for testing and approval. This was why staff said it was in game.

Due to an error during mastering, the auto-attack file was omitted during manufacture.

We apologize for this. It was meant to be in game, but it is not currently in the console versions. We are working on how best to distribute this to console users. When we have information, we will let everyone know.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2011, 21:48 

My understanding is that the auto-attack is in there; the menu option to enable it, however, was simply not included in the RTM.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2011, 01:46 
Insiders
Insiders

Then I'm presuming rather than "we forgot the auto-attack file," what they really mean is "we forgot to update the option menus."

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2011, 03:00 

What is the auto-attack exactly?

Is it where the selected character will still use tactics?

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2011, 03:07 

In the console versions you have to keep pressing the 'X' (PS3) or 'A' (X360) button to keep attacking, it's not like the PC where you click on an enemy and your character keeps attacking. That's why people kept calling it a button masher when the demo was released.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2011, 03:11 

I loved Origins, but early on the change in art style was disappointing but I was reserving final judgment until real reviews could circulate or I could try the game. I played the demo and have exactly zero interest in picking up Dragon Age 2 right away.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2011, 10:12 
Insiders
Insiders

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6522710&lf=8

Sharkey1337 wrote...

So I was curious at the sheer bipolar effect Dragon Age 2 has caused on this forum. Just how split was the community on the game? I made several polls and found some interesting results. Now granted I'm no professional statician, I'm a lab scientist, but I do understand the scientific method and realize my method isn't solid. HOWEVER, these numbers match up pretty well to each other and clearly matches the forum's enviroment from what I've seen. So let's take a look at some of these numbers.

My first poll was a simple Yay! or Nay! response on an overall opinion of Dragon Age 2. Out of a current number of 417 voters, 215 (52%) responded with Nay! while 202 (48%) responded with Yay! The community is perfectly split on their opinion of the game, 1:2 people either like it or hate it. Seems pretty consistent with the type of threads we've been seeing. poll link: social.bioware.com/956165/polls/16602/

Seeing such a split in opinions for DA2, I created a second Yay!/Nay! poll for Dragon Age: Origins. Only 172 responded on this one, however the smaller pool gives a pretty accurate picture. In terms of DAO, there were 148 (86%) Yays!, greatly outnumbering the 24 (14%) Nays! Makes sense as being a fan of the first game obviously means you're here on the DA2 forum for liking the series so far.
poll link: social.bioware.com/956165/polls/16646/

In seeing that 14% not liking DA:O I figured it was time to see opinions on both games in comparison to each other. Here I gave voters the option of choosing preferance to DAO, DA2, liking both equally, or disliking both. This is where it got rather interesting to me in some of the results. Out of 170 voters, 101 (59%) prefered DAO, 24 (14%) prefered DA2, 42 (25%) liked both games equally, and a whopping 3 (2%) disliked both games.
poll link: social.bioware.com/956165/polls/16696/

In conclusion these polls tell me several things:
[list=1][*]Only half the community likes DA2, a severe drop from the first game.[/*:m][*]Only a third of DAO fans actually like DA2.[/*:m][*]Those that disliked DAO seem to have been won over by DA2.[/*:m][*]2% of us are trolls, lol.[/*:m][/list:o]Overall, it's pretty clear that Bioware has a lot of feedback to listen to on DA2. They've accomplished in winning over people that didn't like DAO, however they disappointed twice that number of fans of the first game. Not exactly the progress I'm sure they were hoping to make.

So fellow community members, discuss!

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2011, 21:20 
Insiders
Insiders

Highest rated Metacritic review by Bioware employee (with zero disclosure)
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/g3td7/dragon_age_2_conspiracy_highest_rated_metacritic/

Say what you will about the game, I'll admit that the release period has been interesting at the very least :P

Edit: and another... the Russian Bioware Social site is encouraging users to post 10's on metacritic to counteract the "flash mob" unfair low reviews.

What an odd launch :nudgenudge

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2011, 22:40 

All reviews are subjective by their very nature, so how can user reviews be unfair? Are they unfair because they can't be bought with advertising dollars like the magazine and website publishers? That's where it seems their train of thought is running to.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next