Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 19:05

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Battlefield 3 at E3
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2011, 22:32 

So DICE and EA presented BF3 at E3... and my goodness does it look awesome. Those who played Bad Company 2 may not see a whole lot of difference. But they will see enough to notice the changes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pNOxynC1Dc -- Frostbite 2.0 Features trailer using BF3 assets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPu7-LtLKmU -- Operation Metro Multiplayer trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHZSVS2muhY -- "Thunder Run" trailer from the single player campaign

Also noted from BF3 gameplay, a couple of things copied straight out of Call of Duty (but interesting nonetheless, correct me if I am wrong otherwise) -- holding breath for steadier aim w/ sniper rifles, bipod mountings for LMGs. I remember playing CoDWaW w/ the bipod before the a-holes killed floor-mounting. It was so bad-ass. It was one of my favorite things to do with a LMG when I played defense.

October 25th is the date in US. Forgot when internationally if different. But still, this game is gonna be gooooood.

Post subject: Re: Battlefield 3 at E3
PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011, 02:43 
Insiders
Insiders

Are you implying that Call of Duty pioneered holding your breath and mounting LMGs?

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011, 02:48 
Insiders
Insiders

No matter, they're both good features. Makes me wonder if that means that anyone will be able to use prone, or just while using a bipod-equipped weapons...

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011, 07:13 

as I said in ()s, correct me if I'm wrong on them. I do not know any other games that enables holding breath for steadier aim during a sniper shot other than CoD4 and beyond. I know CoDWaW featured bipod mounting while prone in the early days, for which the dumbasses at Treyarch silently killed in an update. Bipod mounting was VERY good when set up on the ground. I would set up a BAR w/ the bipod and it would just maul people walking into my line of sight.

I dunno who started with either. But those are the only two that I can think of off the top of my head. If you know a game that precedes CoD4 for holding breath for a sniper shot, then by all means mention it. Same for bipod mounting for games prior to CoDWaW. I'll take any corrections you have if it means having accurate info.

And I'm with Abram... they're both good features. It'll make long range shots even better if you're sniping or counter-sniping. Bipod mounting for LMG means I can set up defensive positions and lay down suppressive fire, something that is missing a lot in BC2. Prone mounting is a must for me. Some may complain that it makes the LMG too powerful or accurate... but it only means you're going to remain stationary and you're open to a variety of methods to be killed by -- a backstab, a bounced grenade, rocketed, killed by the grenade launcher, or flanked and gunned down. I say the downsides of prone bipod mounting is good enough to offset the benefits of those using it.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011, 07:40 
Insiders
Insiders

Yes i think balancing it with long setup/removal times and narrow horizontal firing angles would work just fine. OF course, this is still speculative... But I sure was surprised to see BC2 had no prone.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2011, 06:37 

cod 2 and original crysis had hold breath also if I remember right.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2011, 07:55 

Pretty sure BF2142 had holding your breath as a sniper...

BF2142 released in 2006
COD:MW released in 2007

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2011, 02:30 

Nice links, thanks. Next upgrade here we come.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2011, 23:05 

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06/13/boycott-against-battlefield-3-is-underway/

I wasn't planning on buying it right away but I hate DLC like this. Absolutely disgusting.

When I make a movie, it will have different exclusive scenes added to it depending on what cinema you go to. #subtle

Edit: I always see these Ally bank commercials when ever I watch T.V.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2011, 21:56 

the Back to Karkand is something I don't mind. I'm going to preorder the game anyway at some point. However, the Physical Warfare Pack that was announced early for a couple of European stores, that confused me a bit. However, one has to look at it from a different perspective.

Bad Company 2 preorders or the "Limited Edition" came bundled with a handful of unlocks, all of which can be acquired anyway through normal play for those who didn't get it. It didn't do much for gameplay. Then again, the early days you could fire off 7 rounds from your M1911 pistol very fast, and was one of the best "panic mode" weapon when you're out of ammo.

The folks at DICE responded to the Physical Warfare Pack, saying that they plan to work with other retailers with regards to the PWP. It's not entirely exclusive to the Europeans. Since DICE is based in Sweden, it seems natural that big gaming stores in Europe get first dibs in pre-order or store-specific contents. If these weapons are mere unlocks, then I'm fine with it. I don't need it right away and I can always earn those unlocks as I play the game.

I think it's still a bit too early to say if they're trying to screw us over. But companies screwing us over, I could say the same about every other developers and publishers... *cough*Infinity Ward,Treyarch,Activision*cough*