Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 15:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2005, 22:23 
Editors
Editors

Stonekeep for DOS/Windows 95 was my very first PC game that I still love to this day (too bad I have to dual boot XP Pro with windows 98se just to play it).

I know the feeling. Final Fantasy VII and VIII are distinctly allergic to Windows 2000/XP. :cry: They're also happiest on a Voodoo card...

I'm a relative youngin', but have played more than my fair share of old games thanks to friends and family who don't throw things away when they're "obsolete", but just put them in the loft. :D

I didn't own a PC until '96, and didn't own a console until... oooh... 2001? Something like that. I bought a PS2 for Final Fantasy X. :D

I prefer PCs in general for gaming (Planescape Torment, greatest PCRPG ever!), but there is something to be said for Japanese RPGs. 8) (To be fair, RPGs are the only games that really hold my attention aside from the Civ games...)

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2005, 03:23 

Adventure (the 350 point version) on a PDP 11/70.

Cue the guy that played Spacewar on a PDP-1 at MIT....

;-)

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2005, 15:45 

I'm with Fortran Dragon, though I don't remember the hardware it was running on because I was (really) 5, this was in 1975. My grandfather was president of a local construction company and would drop me off with the sysadmin while he was in meetings. Adventure, and some Star Trek game with ASCII graphics.

Then pong, atari, trs80, c64 (long break while I lived as a gypsy with my rock band) 486, pentium, p2, athlon tbird, athlon xp.

I prefer pc gaming by far, on my home theater, though I also own a GC and Xbox.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2005, 02:57 

I don't think we had Pong on our TV.

But I did at one time own a Apple IIe, Apple IIc, Colecovision, Atari 2600, Commodore Vic-20, and an NES. (gotta love the green screens from the old Apples)

When I had the Apple computers, I totally enjoyed adventure games. I loved the original King's Quest game, Oldorf's Revenge (if any of you can remember that badboy), and ALL of the Infocom line of text adventure games. Those were my all-time favorites.

Back when I was a kid I did enjoy consoles. My sister and I saved our newspaper job money and bought the CollecoVision and we had our share of games too. We liked Smurfs Adventure- because the graphics were just pimp compared to Atari's 2600. Years later we got the Nintendo and of course the Playstation1. And at the same time loving the good old 25cent arcades with games like Space Invaders, Galaxian and Donkey Kong. Any of you remember Crazy Climber? Man I loved that one.

But still my heart was in computer games. Stonekeep! Yes I remember that one!! First person shooters- Quake, Doom, Duke Nukem!! Adventure games were the shizzle in my nizzle. I never cared too much for RPG's though. My all time favorite PC FPS is easily Half Life 1.

I wouldn't say that i'm an extreme gamer like I used to be but I still buy PCGamer, Play Magazine and Computer Gaming magazines to check out whats new and whats coming.

With the way games have evolved I look forward to seeing what games look like in 10 years.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2005, 15:34 

(gotta love the green screens from the old Apples)

I use a black background with green text (terminal system font, natch) for my terminal windows in Mac OSX. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2005, 17:00 

I'm 30 (as well), so the previous posts concerning Atari and commodre 64 apply ;). Then once PCs became affordable early in the 1990s I grabbed hold of gaming. Doom, Duke Nukem, Quake (which was a revolutionary FPS in its day), Myst, Sim City, M$ Flight Simulator, Wolfenstein 3d, etc... then UT came along and redefined FPS all over again. Not much of a RTS player, and I only dabbled in Everquest, EQ2, CoH, and Asheron's Call briefly. MMORPG leveling bores me.

I owned a nintendo and original playstation as well. The playstation was a wonderful console. Lots of sports titles to play head to head with friends.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2005, 20:24 

I use a black background with green text (terminal system font, natch) for my terminal windows in Mac OSX. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

I'm with you on the green text on the black background for the terminal window in OS X. I make make one concession to the gui world and have the terminal window be partly transparent. :)

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2005, 20:00 

Commodore 64 was my introduction to gaming when I was a wee lad. My grandpa had one. I would go over to this house just to play. I can't remember what it was called, but there was some game where you walked around in a little 2D house and could make a guy do random things. It was the first sims! I also played some F1 racing game, but I forget what that was called as well. When I was a little older I got an Atari for Christmas. My first real gaming experiences were on that Atari playing Moonpatrol. I dunno how that game never got old, but maybe it was because I was young haha.

After I got my NES I became an RPG fantatic. Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy I were my best friends. My friend and I would even call each other and sit on the phone for hours while we played, giving each other tips and talking about what we were experiencing. I remember killing some gold golem things for like an entire day to save up the gold needed for some item I wanted. Good times.

It's pretty crazy looking back, but things haven't really changed much. This year I spent hours sitting on WoW trying to kill things for gold just like back in the day lol.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2005, 15:35 

I can't remember what it was called, but there was some game where you walked around in a little 2D house and could make a guy do random things.

Little Computer People
*knock knock*

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2006, 03:28 

Prefered platform: The ultimate gaming machine.... the PC.

Started with the atari 2600 for me, but once IBM compatible 8086 clones were available in the mid 80's, I started playing Infocom text adventure games. Started with the 4.77 mhz 640K Ram 2x 5.25 floppy 8086 and graduated to the IBM XT 10mhz (Turbo button!) and I finally got my own PC for college in 1991 (386DX 25Mhz, 2 MB Ram w/ 20MB HDD. I fell out of gaming when I discovered college parties. :D

Then in 1995, Doom was released and I rediscovered my love of PC Gaming and simply had to buy a new PC. Bought a AMD 5x86 133Mhz CPU (pentium 70 equivalent), and got my first 1 GB HDD. From there it has been a steady upgrade path to what I have today.

Sure, I have consoles (PS2, Xbox and a Gamecube) but none of them give me the gaming goodness of my trusty PCs.

PC Gaming Forever!