Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 15:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bioshock wow
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2008, 01:00 

Been playing this the last couple days at work while I take a break from World of Warcraft.

WOWIE. Bioshock is tons better than i thought. Freakin creepy though they need a bit more zombie types. (gets old after awhile)

Graphically it runs like ass on my Dell 9300 pos, but soon oh oo soon it will fly hopefully on my HP HDX9000 Dragon.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2008, 14:53 
Editors
Editors

You running it patched and the FOV issue sorted? Or the 'visionary' (aka: crippled) version? ;)

My biggest complaints about Bioshock were utter lack of replay value, non-existant RPG elements and uninspired gameplay. (I got bored after about 30 minutes when playing it round a friends'...)

Post subject: Re: Bioshock wow
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2008, 15:57 

Been playing this the last couple days at work while I take a break from World of Warcraft.

Wha...bu...I...you..........what.....??????

Can I have your job?

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2008, 16:11 

My biggest complaints about Bioshock were utter lack of replay value, non-existant RPG elements and uninspired gameplay. (I got bored after about 30 minutes when playing it round a friends'...)

Same, except that I bought the game and I managed to play it for more than 30 minutes. After the masterpiece that was System Shock 2, Bioshock was an unfortunate let down for me. Not only do I miss the RPG elements, but I also miss the atmosphere and tense feeling of wandering along the corridors of the von Braun (Bioshock wasn't the least bit scary for me). I abandoned the game half-way through in favour of playing through Gears of War, I'm unsure at this point whether I'll bother resuming the game.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2008, 16:19 
Editors
Editors

Mergatroid - I know the feeling. :lol: But even if I did get the same job as funch, in the UK I'd probably get fired for playing games.

NightBlade - Aye. After System Shock 2, Bioshock was a let-down on all fronts. And it wasn't a matter of '30 minutes was all I could get to play' but more a case of '30 minutes was all I could stand to play'. ;)

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2008, 00:29 
Insiders
Insiders

My feelings on Bioshock is that it might be just a dumbed-down System Shock 2, but System Shock 2 is so awesome that you can dumb it down and there's still enough greatness left over to make it the best game of the year.

On the other hand, it's still very disappointing whenever a game doesn't live up to its potential. BioShock *should* have been up there with System Shock 2 and Deus Ex, but instead it's more up there with FEAR and Red Faction (but still several dozen rungs above the abysmal Deus Ex Invisible War)

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2008, 02:24 

but still several dozen rungs above the abysmal Deus Ex Invisible War

It was not that bad. It had a tough act to follow.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2008, 03:01 

Most people bash deus ex 2 based on what they remember of the original. like many sequels though if you play the 'older better one' you find they're quite similar.

Same thing happened between nwn1 and 2.

Deus Ex 1&2 and nwn1&2 all were fairly enjoyable games.

Of course it all depends on your personnal preferences, I would substitute bioshock in your abysmal sentence ...

I couldn't care less for yet another survival horror fest. It's been done already, same as WWII shooters.

Some people say PC Gaming is dying, not true, what is true is that PC Gaming 'creativity' is getting severely rare.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2008, 04:38 
Insiders
Insiders

I'm sure it's because i never played Deus Ex, but i found DX:IW to be pretty fun...

Same with Bioshock i guess, I reawlly enjoyed it - but then again I haven't played teh prequel games..

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2008, 16:17 
Editors
Editors

Interestingly, when it comes to Deus Ex and DX:IW, my only real dislike of IW comes from the fact that on the PC it played like it was designed from the ground up for console 'tards. Because it was. And it showed. It had none of the complexity with respect to Augmentations or Inventory that the original had... and tried to cover that by making the multi-path storyline more solid. Unfortunately, that mostly failed because you got onto one of the 'rails' pretty fast in the game, and from then on were pretty much stuck.

Bioshock was a standalone. It wasn't a 'sequel' to anything, as System Shock 1&2 were cyberpunk and Bioshock was steampunk. It was the "spiritual successor" which is basically a polite way of saying the same bloke who worked on the other two will use ideas that worked (along with some new ones) to make the new game. But I'm not gonna continue on about Bioshock too much because it was, IMO - if no one elses' - a total and complete flop with only graphics and an initial 'wow' factor to make it worthwhile looking at. So in that respect, it fails along with so many other modern games.

As for equating Bioshock to Red Faction and F.E.A.R... hm. I'd say Red Faction rated more for me because it tried to actually do something different, even if the technology at the time wasn't really enough to do it justice. FEAR... FEAR is a tough one. The graphics are obviously standout. The AI was, I thought, pretty good... way better than any of the splicers in Bioshock. I'd put Bioshock below all of them - probably even DX:IW. And that is saying something.