Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 14:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2007, 00:37 
Editors
Editors

lol check the reactions ...

"CVG.co.uk" wrote: New York appalled with GTA IV setting

"Setting Grand Theft Auto in the safest big city in America would be like setting Halo in Disneyland," says Councilman

The New York Daily News reported "Grand Theft Auto is set in a mythical city that bears a striking resemblance to New York." Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly isn't one bit impressed. "It's despicable to glamorize violence in games like these, regardless of how far-fetched the setting may be."

Jason Post, a spokesman for Mayor Bloomberg, put the final nail in GTA IV's coffin: "The mayor does not support any video game where you earn points for injuring or killing police officers."

:roll:

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2007, 06:16 

They should make GTA V: Haole City set in Waikiki.

Actually, a GTA set in Hawaii would be cool. I picked up Test Drive Unlimited and for the most part pretty accurate with major landmarks and the roads. Shiiieeeet. Just add about 200,000 haoles and you have a game. Heheheeeeee.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2007, 09:21 

lol check the reactions ...

[quote]New York appalled with GTA IV setting

"Setting Grand Theft Auto in the safest big city in America would be like setting Halo in Disneyland," says Councilman

The New York Daily News reported "Grand Theft Auto is set in a mythical city that bears a striking resemblance to New York." Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly isn't one bit impressed. "It's despicable to glamorize violence in games like these, regardless of how far-fetched the setting may be."

Jason Post, a spokesman for Mayor Bloomberg, put the final nail in GTA IV's coffin: "The mayor does not support any video game where you earn points for injuring or killing police officers."

Man thats sad really.. the safest city in America!
:? ............. :roll:

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2007, 13:20 
Editors
Editors

A GTA set on the whole of Hawaii would be extremely cool. :D

As for New York's condemnation of GTA... it's good to see that politicians continue to be sheep. :roll: Where would we be without instant political condemnation of computer games?

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2007, 18:24 

I wonder when they are going to get around to condemning Francis Ford Coppola for his "Godfather" trilogy. :roll:

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2007, 01:21 
Insiders
Insiders

The Godfather was condemned *heavily* on its for its violence and for appearing to glamorize mafia life and crime and violence.
The Godfather part II was also condemned on its release for similar reasons.
The Godfather part III was condemned too, but mostly for Sophia Coppola's complete inability to act.

But I really wish these people would stop saying "the player scores point for" so and so to mean "the player has the option of doing" so and so. Dishonesty pisses me off a lot more than whining, especially if being honest doesn't kill their point.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2007, 05:16 

But did the New York City Council condem the flims for being set in their city?

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2007, 23:10 
Insiders
Insiders

Their reasons for condemning GTA4's setting wouldn't apply to The Godfather.

GTA4 = You shoot random people on the streets and murder cops for fun.
The Godfather = The Corleone's kill rival gangsters, rats within their own ranks, a corrupt chief of police, and the prized stallions of uncooperative moguls. But civilians and cops on the public payroll are safe.

I should stress that I don't regard these complains from the councils as anything more than whining, and certainly don't agree with them. I'm just saying that I don't see any double-standards or dishonesty in them.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2007, 10:36 
Insiders
Insiders

Losk sweet, i"m sure it will be as the GTA gmes keep getting better..

I dunno why so many folks crap on San Andreas.. I can see not liking the story elements, like the "gangsta" stuff - but as i mostly ignore the drama and forus on the gameplay, SA is by far and wide the best.

I could get into, but.. meh.

Anyway i'm pretty excited about what GTA IV has in sotre - it looks like large elemetns will be quite different, from what I've read about it.

We'll see..

Oh and of coure i really hope it comes to PC along side PS3 and X360.

I kinda of expect it be anothter 6 months, but with it coming out on BOTH consoles.. i dunno.

Also i'm sure (and hope)( it'll be as easily mod-able as teh others.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2007, 12:54 
Editors
Editors

The game's being released on "10/16/07". I doubt it will slip.

There's a new trailer being released on their website on 6/28/07 as well, so only a week away now. [website]

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next