Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 19:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 22:50 
Insiders
Insiders

Take a look at my site. I have HUNDREDS of game recommendations, sorted year-by-year, genre-by-genre.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2007, 04:45 
Insiders
Insiders

I see that you have Half-Life 2 and a sweet gaming rig.
In this case I have to mods for Half-Life 2 that I highly recommend.

FAKEFACTORY'S CINEMATIC MOD
It's for Half-Life 2 and Episode 1: Get it here (CAUTION big download), if your running Vista then you'll need this.
This mod makes both Half-Life 2 and Episode 1 look a lot better. Seriously, you wont be able to play vanilla HL2 ever again once you've played this mod, or at least thats how it is with me. :^)

SMOD TACTICAL DELTA 4
It's just for HL2: Get it here, and if you think this mod is a bit to hard get this. This mod is amazing. period. It makes the game so much more hectic and intense. LOTS OF FUN THIS IS. >: 0

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2007, 04:52 

I see that you have Half-Life 2 and a sweet gaming rig.
In this case I have to mods for Half-Life 2 that I highly recommend.

FAKEFACTORY'S CINEMATIC MOD
It's for Half-Life 2 and Episode 1: Get it here (CAUTION big download), if your running Vista then you'll need this.
This mod makes both Half-Life 2 and Episode 1 look a lot better. Seriously, you wont be able to play vanilla HL2 ever again once you've played this mod, or at least thats how it is with me. :^)

SMOD TACTICAL DELTA 4
It's just for HL2: Get it here, and if you think this mod is a bit to hard get this. This mod is amazing. period. It makes the game so much more hectic and intense. LOTS OF FUN THIS IS. >: 0
Thanks for the Half Life 2 mod suggestions, but i'm trying to get away from the games I already have and try something fresh, ya know?

I tried the F.E.A.R. demo and liked it a lot, i'm probably goona go check that out.

Other suggestions?

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2007, 08:53 

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines !

Just make sure you download all the official and player patches.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2007, 09:19 
Editors
Editors

I know everybody liked fear, more than once I started playing it and stop just a few levels deep. I just dont like it too much for some reason. Stalker the same I have that and granted I have only beat the first few missions.

I know the next title im trying out, it got top marks and seems like alot of fun. the Riddick game excape from butcher bay. Its supposed to be a great game.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2007, 12:23 

Warcraft 3 & The Frozen Throne: excellent single-player campaign. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't ever done so.

Max Payne (1 & 2): unfortunately they don't have widescreen support, but these are still some of the top single-player shooters.

I didn't like FEAR actually. It's got really bad level design. I can't stand repetition and lack of any architectural reason in levels, especially ones with a realistic setting.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2007, 15:39 
Insiders
Insiders

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay is a great game. I have it and I just reinstalled it to play it through again.

Another really good game that I forgot to mention was Condemned: Criminal Origins. The sound effects in that game really shine. Also they've been mentioned before but Prey and Far Cry are really good. Especially Far Cry, my god I love that game. I can't believe that nobody has mentioned the Hitman series. If you haven't played any of them don't feel obligated to play the first ones, just try out Hitman: Blood Money

Moving away from the shooter genre, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey has a really good story and is worth checking out. Also, check out the demo for Darwinia, which is an awesome game. Also another quirky game is Codename: Gordon which is on STEAM.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2007, 21:39 

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay is a great game. I have it and I just reinstalled it to play it through again.

Another really good game that I forgot to mention was Condemned: Criminal Origins. The sound effects in that game really shine. Also they've been mentioned before but Prey and Far Cry are really good. Especially Far Cry, my god I love that game. I can't believe that nobody has mentioned the Hitman series. If you haven't played any of them don't feel obligated to play the first ones, just try out Hitman: Blood Money

Moving away from the shooter genre, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey has a really good story and is worth checking out. Also, check out the demo for Darwinia, which is an awesome game. Also another quirky game is Codename: Gordon which is on STEAM.
Wow thanks for the advice on Darwinia, lovin it :D

I also downloaded the demo for the newest Command and Conquer which i have to say is GODLY :shock:

And yes i have one or two Hitman games.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2007, 11:07 

I am kind of in the same boat. PCs games have kind of been slow lately.

My recommendations:

FEAR- Great game, very good AI, good story, great effects, I will admit not a lot of variety in the environments. It's a bit strenuous on video cards, but it's not the system killer it once was. It's expansion pack was not as good but still fun.

STALKER- Very immersive also very buggy. Get the first patch before you start playing it. It corrupts the save game files. It has some replay factor to it with multiply ending and story lines.

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey- This is a sequel to The Longest Journey (an point and click style adventure game) that came out in 2000. If you haven't played the original pick it up and play it first. I know its a bit old but gameplay trumps graphics ALWAYS.

Unfortunately Dreamfall's gameplay was dumbed down for the console crowd. But if you like character development, good dialog, great writing, voice acting, and a great story, check it out.

Max Payne 2- Short but sweet, very short but very sweet. Shorter that the original and maybe a bit easier, but as far as I am concerned a better story. Damn good story, and great slow-mo shoot outs to boot.

All I can think of right now (made in the past couple of years anyway).

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2007, 17:48 

If you like arcade games and have a gamepad with dual analog sticks, I would highly recommend Grid Wars 2. This is a fan-made version of 'Geometry Wars Evolved' for the xbox 360. Zero load times, insanely fun and very addictive. You control a small ship that can move in any direction while shooting in any direction. The screen fills up with different shapes (each displaying different movement characteristics) and you have to shoot them. If they touch you, you die. Sounds lame but it gets crazy-intense.

I have FEAR, HL2, Doom3, Quake4, etc and have gotten way more enjoyment out of Grid Wars 2. But that's just me.

It was a real bitch to configure the gamepad, but once I got it working it's been pure gold. I wouldn't recommend playing using anything else, however...keyboard/keyboard+mouse combo's for this game just don't do it justice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next