Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 15:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Lord of the Rings Online
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2007, 07:38 

I just got this massive online game and the environment is simply stunning, gorgeous. Combat not as tight and solid like World of Warcraft but it's okay. But the graphics, my god it's amazing. This is the best visual experience I ever had in a PC game. Better than EQ 2, WoW, Oblivion, or Dark Age of Camelot or Vanguard.

LOTR uses the standard World of Warcraft game model but the interface is not as good as WoW's, but I am sure they will improve. Highly recommend this game if you are a LOTR fan

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2007, 08:25 
Editors
Editors

WoW's models and stuff were ok, but not super special, the enviroments were just so well designed I love areas like Ashenvale or the Dark Shore. The graphics themselves were not so great it was just the design and colors and the whole atmosphere.

I noticed you didnt name FFXI as a title to compare it against. I think FFXI has great graphics, when I used to play unfortunatly I couldnt turn the settings up too high or id lag the weather effects were definitly the most impressive and realistic I have seen in any game to date aswell. They added some weather effects to WoW but I quit playing just before that patch hit so I cant say how nice they are.

PostPosted: 06 May 2007, 19:41 

I've got a level 24 hobbit hunter on Nimrodel and I love the game. Best MMO I've ever played. And, yes, the graphics are gorgeous.

PostPosted: 14 May 2007, 20:25 

This is Pay2Play only?
Is there a trial period or anything?

PostPosted: 15 May 2007, 04:52 

I've got a level 24 hobbit hunter on Nimrodel and I love the game. Best MMO I've ever played. And, yes, the graphics are gorgeous.

John,

I've heard some good shit about this game too. Best MMO you say. Alot of people say the same thing about Vanguard.

I want to start up playing an MMO again something totally new. I'm kind of on the fence on LotR's and Vanguard.

So John and JetSonic. Tell us about this MMO of yours, please. MORE MORE MORE :)

Funch
(your non-haole haole)

PostPosted: 16 May 2007, 14:59 

Went ahead and bought it.

Its pretty cool looking I must say. Runs way better than I expected. However I haven't come across very many players or 'game crowds' yet so I don't know about lag or drops in FPS yet.

I plan to play at 11pm-4am Hawaii time and I'm on the Firefoot server under the names of Meche and 'Flounder' (any of you oldschoolers watch Animal House?).

Anyway, so far the game is pretty good. Fighting ain't all that just yet but then again i'm in the intro levels and I haven't trained to learn new shit.

The Funcher
aka Hayden's Daddy!

PostPosted: 23 May 2007, 11:34 

This game is just the closest I ever seen anyone come to a real environment for you to run around in and explore. It's so real you don't want to leave. The water in the streams and rivers, omg you can see the wind blowing on the water and rippling in a certain direction. Best water effects I have ever seen except nobody still cannot make water falling over a cliff realistic. Even in this game it just looks cheesy. Nobody is able to do this with any realistic effect yet, must be impossible to code

This is the first PC game I have ever played where it made me stop and pause and think to myself, while I was playing... my eyes are having trouble distinguishing what I was seeing in this game to a actual real world video of nature. It's that real. The terrain in this game is perfect. It's like finally my video card has woken up and is alive. Video PC gaming has reached a point where it is getting scary how real it is getting.

There isn't just one moment in this game where you go "wow look at that"... it's many many moments in this game where you just stand there and are amazed at what you are seeing. Every map or every new zone you travel to you are greeted with more incredible visuals.

There is one area in the game that has to be seen to be believed. It's the map o Ered Luin and the city of Duillond where the elfs are. Words cannot describe what awaits you when you visit this place. Stunning, unbelieveable, incredible... do no justice. Man it's just magnificent! I spent 30 minutes there just gazing at the incredible views. Crazy isn't it? It's just pixels yet man they are getting really really close to reality.

PostPosted: 23 May 2007, 12:59 
Editors
Editors

This game is just the closest I ever seen anyone come to a real environment for you to run around in and explore......[etc]

Agree with your whole post. It's gorgeous. My images from the beta are still up here, click on the images for full size.
I miss it a bit, just for exploring. Nothing's close to it in terms of "adventure" in my opinion!

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 23 May 2007, 13:25 

I'd love to try this game but I haven't read any lord of the rings or watched any of the movies, probably a better idea to familiarise myself with the whole game universe before playing the game methinks :?

PostPosted: 23 May 2007, 18:53 
Editors
Editors

Im scared to get into another mmorpg...

WoW and FFXI both did a number on me :P

too addicting.