Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 07:46

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 81  Next
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 20:27 

I don't see the issue.

If the game was developed 16:9 (which I'm sure it was), then the shipping 16:9 FOV is what they intended, and the 4:3 version is simply "vert+", in the nomenclature of this forum. It's not unlike Super35 in film, where the 4:3 version often has more information on the top an bottom than the 1.85:1 version does.

Doing comparisons between the two versions isn't really meaningful. If the 16:9 FOV isn't to your liking, then that's your issue. What Irrational (sorry, 2K Boston, ugh) decided to do for the 4:3 version is pretty immaterial, right?

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 20:27 

It's on Shacknews too

Paddy's screenshot overlay pic is becoming famous :lol:

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 20:29 
Insiders
Insiders

Did anyone tried to adjust the following setting in ConfigINI.IBF?

; The FOV and sight distance.
FOV=60.0
SightDistance=1000.0

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 20:32 

Did anyone tried to adjust the following setting in ConfigINI.IBF?

; The FOV and sight distance.
FOV=60.0
SightDistance=1000.0

Editing anything in ConfigINI.IBF appears to make the game not start. Il try and edit this post with my findings though.

Edit: Yep Changing FOV=60.0 to FOV=70.0 makes the game crash before it starts.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 20:42 
Editors
Editors

It's on Shacknews too

Paddy's screenshot overlay pic is becoming famous :lol:

Would have been nice if they credited WSGF and Paddy for the screenshot though......

And I'm pretty sure there will be a fix after all this.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 21:03 

Hey guys, I just registered (got the link from digg)

Anywho, alot of people are complaining that if we get to see more that the 4:3 people get screwed over. I, and I think that most of you guys would agree, don't really care that we get to see more, it's all really about a realistic FOV.

True, I didn't realize that the screen was cropped until I read this thread, but I knew that something was wrong. I have a nice 32 in widescreen samsung monitor and I kept noticing that I was leaning back in my chair, trying to kind of 'zoom out'. The whole demo felt cramped, and I died twice because I couldn't identify where the enemies were that were hitting me. After I played it I had a headache (I just attributed it to lack of caffeine and downed some bawls) but now, I think it might have been because of the weird FOV of the demo.

I think that this weird 'cramped' feeling can only be appreciated by people who have actually spent time playing games on a widescreen monitor. All of those people saying that we're just whining because we don't get to see more on the sides are probably using 4:3 monitors.

(but seriously, you guys with the three monitors and the crazy 3x resolution can go fly a kite, my jealousy for you knows no bounds :lol: )

edit: that being said, in about three minutes when it releases on STEAM, I'm still going to play it. I'll just have to make sure to take breaks every half an hour or so.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 21:08 
Editors
Editors

Yawgmoth ... welcome to the WSGF ... 8)

Crazy eh ... Ok maybe ... but ... we need is a fix for this FOV so I can play across three screens ... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 21:09 

Yawgmoth ... welcome to the WSGF ... 8)

Crazy eh ... Ok maybe ... but ... we need is a fix for this FOV so I can play across three screens ... :mrgreen:

loan me some money so i can get 2 more monitors.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 21:09 

Hi guys,

I shopped up and posted this image earlier today on the 2K forums to try to clear up a lot of the apparent confusion about just how the widescreen output is "zoomed" or "cropped" and how it relates to the fullscreen output, but I'm afraid it's pretty much been lost in a thread that's now seemingly degenerated into a flame war slash troll paradise.

I think looking at the original (and as mentioned, now famous) screenshot, some people don't quite get how slicing off the top and bottom of an image produces that claustrophobic "zoomed" effect. Hopefully for anybody who sees it, this visual aid will help.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 21:12 
Editors
Editors

Thanks randomhajile ... I saw that ... it helps a lot ... but there are still a few that just don't get it ... :roll:

Anyway welcome to the WSGF ... 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 81  Next