Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 15:59

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81  Next
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2007, 01:16 
Editors
Editors

Maybe a thread title change would be in order now? 8)

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2007, 04:32 

How about "Bio-shocker! Official patch released!"

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2007, 10:26 
Editors
Editors

Done ... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2007, 17:07 

When this issue came to light for BioShock, all the game sites I read treated the whole situation with sarcasm and contempt. Only now that 2K have fixed the problem people can see 'what all the fuss was about'.

Though I disagree with the above statement that the game is the most immersive in 2007 (probably in 2002), at least the person agreeing with us is in a position to recognise the problem in future releases.

I agree on both paragraphs, the game wasn't anything special, possibly more able to see through the slew of flaws and the widescreen issue. If you went in with 'zero problems' then i'm sure the game felt a whole lot better, to me it just leaves me feeling bitter/angry everytime I look at it now (it reminds me of the trolls on 2ks forum and the news/games sites posting sarcastic posts calling us whingers when it was them who didn't understand the issue).

And all we wanted was the option, best of both worlds and good for everyone.

I would find it hard to believe that now even on 360 that any previous player would CHOOSE to use the original borked FOV over the new one, will they admit it and appologise to us? nah. Just like 2k they are full of it.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2007, 18:37 
Editors
Editors

[quote]Maybe a thread title change would be in order now? 8)
Done ... :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I don't think Ken Levine would like it though ... ROFL!

Edit:

Today's BioShock update includes a new true widescreen mode, rather than the previous cropped 4:3 mode that shipped with the game. From the pause menu players now have the option to set the Horizontal FOV to 'on' or 'off'.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/04-12-2007-7028.html

This guy got it! 8)

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2007, 19:36 

...it just leaves me feeling bitter/angry everytime I look at it now (it reminds me of the trolls on 2ks forum and the news/games sites posting sarcastic posts calling us whingers when it was them who didn't understand the issue).

And all we wanted was the option, best of both worlds and good for everyone.

I would find it hard to believe that now even on 360 that any previous player would CHOOSE to use the original borked FOV over the new one, will they admit it and appologise to us? nah. Just like 2k they are full of it.

I feel EXACTLY the same greylantern. Though I think I'm party to blame, I fell for the hype :( The screenshots looked too good to be true, I was hooked. Awe and wonder soon changed to disappointment and anger though lol!

A little off-topic but... Did you like S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? That had a pretty shaky release too, it didn't work on my PC as I have Vista. However, the community were helpful and really pretty decent - even if people were mad that they couldn't get their game to work... I think it says a lot for console gamers and PC gamers as communities, the two just don't mix.

Also, I think we [PC gamers] are used to games not working 100% of the time. So troubleshooting and technical issues are par for the course when a PC game is released.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2007, 20:22 
Editors
Editors

A little off-topic but... Did you like S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? That had a pretty shaky release too, it didn't work on my PC as I have Vista. However, the community were helpful and really pretty decent - even if people were mad that they couldn't get their game to work... I think it says a lot for console gamers and PC gamers as communities, the two just don't mix.

Also, I think we [PC gamers] are used to games not working 100% of the time. So troubleshooting and technical issues are par for the course when a PC game is released.

It's not just that, though - the STALKER devs seemed to want to work to fix issues that people were having. 2K didn't seem to give a fook. Eh. Well, whatever.

Now all I need to arrive before I'm prepared to buy Bioshock rather than play it for an hour round a mates' house is the removal of that horrible Copy Protection strategy...

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2007, 08:34 

I picked up S.T.A.L.K.E.R quite late and still haven't played as much as I should, it had some quirks for sure but I ended up playing the other stuff first (bioshock was one of them unfortunately) and more recently Crysis. I never had any ill feeling towards S.T.A.L.K.E.R though because even though it did have problems they were understandable (inc the intial widescreen thing) the game just didn't 'annoy' me in the same way that BS does, something about that game (BS) and the hype it got (and yes, hype I couldn't help but believe because I had been looking forward to it for ages) made me more critical of it. It was still only mild negativity towards it until 2k released that PR about 'artistic vision' and ken levine was quoted as laughing at people who wanted it sorted out because *he* couldn't understand the problem, mix that in with 2k's generally inept forum tech guys who just ask the same basic questions over and over and add a sprinkling of fanboys on top and I just viewed the game in a more negative light than I should have.

Then as I played the game more, due to my critical stance on it by then, I just noticed the downsides more than upsides, i'm sure the game IS better than I think it is but the total package was a disspointment.

As for Console and PC gamers mixing maybe, but I have a 360 as well but do not like FPS games on it (obv prefer mouse + better gfx of my PC) but I wish i'd bought it for that now instead if anything because I may have just enjoyed it instead of feeling like I was being mugged for buying an unfinished rental game.

Thankfully better games have since been released and 2k can go to hell, i've learned my lesson with them and won't buy anything else from them. My money for pc games will now go exclusively to developers who actually target the PC format with dedication and passion.. (valve, crytek etc).

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2007, 20:15 

It's not just that, though - the STALKER devs seemed to want to work to fix issues that people were having. 2K didn't seem to give a fook. Eh. Well, whatever.

Now all I need to arrive before I'm prepared to buy Bioshock rather than play it for an hour round a mates' house is the removal of that horrible Copy Protection strategy...

Yeah, very true, at least the people at GSC didn't tell us we were wrong, or make up the artistic vision crap... I too really, really wish they'd get rid of that copy protection, I just installed it to check out the patch but remembered the game sucks (LOL) and now I'll need to format (first using the BioShock activation revoke tool!) and re-install windows... :roll:

...mix that in with 2k's generally inept forum tech guys who just ask the same basic questions over and over and add a sprinkling of fanboys on top and I just viewed the game in a more negative light than I should have.

Totally! It seemed to me that it was moderated by die-hard fans who'd obviously begged to be made forum mods... who'd sooner throw back an insult than actually help anyone.

...As for Console and PC gamers mixing maybe, but I have a 360 as well but do not like FPS games on it (obv prefer mouse + better gfx of my PC) but I wish i'd bought it for that now instead if anything because I may have just enjoyed it instead of feeling like I was being mugged for buying an unfinished rental game.

I too have been a huge console fan (until this curent generation that is), as well as PC gamer but if anything, BioShock is a perfect example of why the two should be kept separate when there is a simultaneous platform release, it's almost like mixing PS 3 fans with Xbox 360 fans, you end up with a constant war over trivial nonsense.

...Thankfully better games have since been released and 2k can go to hell, i've learned my lesson with them and won't buy anything else from them. My money for pc games will now go exclusively to developers who actually target the PC format with dedication and passion.. (valve, crytek etc).

Too true, next time I see a game thats on all platforms I'm steering clear. no matter how "&*)$%!# AWESOME" the graphics are...

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2007, 20:29 
Editors
Editors

Yeah, very true, at least the people at GSC didn't tell us we were wrong, or make up the artistic vision crap... I too really, really wish they'd get rid of that copy protection, I just installed it to check out the patch but remembered the game sucks (LOL) and now I'll need to format (first using the BioShock activation revoke tool!) and re-install windows... :roll:

...snip...

Too true, next time I see a game thats on all platforms I'm steering clear. no matter how "&*)$%!# AWESOME" the graphics are...

Yeah, a Copy Protection system like that can go jump off a cliff for all I care. Along with the people who thought it up.

I dunno about the whole 'multi-platform' thing. It can be good, if the games are made with time and focus spent on each of the individual platforms that it'll be on. But if it's a 'one size fits all' approach on the coding and game design... then they'll always suck on the more complex systems. Oni was a game where the PS2 and PC releases were at the same time, and the PC version had some attention paid to it... rather than the modern XBox360 era method, which is code for the console and do a half-arsed port of what could have been a stunning game to the PC.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81  Next