Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 18:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: 27 Aug 2007, 00:10 
Editors
Editors

That is why I mentioned ...

For example ... in MoHA ... I have been able to change the size of the player and his weapon quite easily in the configs ... I got him so he was small in the center of my TripleHead setup ... but the FOV doesn't change ...

It is possible for them to separate the FOV and the player model/weapon and make them both user editable/customizable.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2007, 00:19 

That is why I mentioned ...

For example ... in MoHA ... I have been able to change the size of the player and his weapon quite easily in the configs ... I got him so he was small in the center of my TripleHead setup ... but the FOV doesn't change ...

It is possible for them to separate the FOV and the player model/weapon and make them both user editable/customizable.

D'oh! I glossed over that. That bodes well; now if developers just stick with making the FOVs editable instead of locking them off like 2K we should be good even if they don't use hor+ by default.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2007, 07:35 

I just tested Gears of War on the 360...... Its Vert-!

Using VGA, I tried it in 1920x1080(1080p) then in 640x480(480p) normal mode(4:3).

It was definately Vert-, you can see more of Marcus in 4:3. I also lined up some stuff when entering a level without moving. Exactly the same Horizontal FOV in both 4:3 and 16:9.

Unreal engine 3... is it time to worry?

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2007, 07:51 

As the racer guy here has already proven, it is not an issue with Unreal 3 engine. It is an issue with lazy useless programmers that take one code and just copy and paste it. (simplification, but you get it).
Don't blame the engine, blame the programmers/developers of the games. The engine CAN do it, the developers CAN'T.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2007, 07:56 

Yeah, having played gears through 3 times on the 360 I can say all of this could stem from trying to be more 'cinematic'. While I think Gears manages to get away with it (because the camera is following you rather than 'being' you) when it's in a first person shooter it's more than apparent because you are the camera.

And I can only assume if it does that in Gears then Epic intended it to do that (after all this is EPIC we are talking about).

That doesn't excuse, however, that other devs should take it for granted that any game regardless of genre can just lazily switch aspect ratio without considering the problems to the end users. Especially in a first person shooter.

The fact that Racer_s could find the locations of the FOV/Projection Matrix variables and change them on the fly shows it's not a technical problem. In some cases it' may be a valid choice but in most cases it will be a poor design decision or an oversight.

Either way that crap doesn't belong on PC games because we are not sitting 4 - 10 feet away from our displays!

Any news from Epic on this? They must know about what went down with Bioshock by now and have some opinion to offer.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2007, 08:39 
Editors
Editors

@ Apple ... any chance of a couple of comparison photos of your 360 showing the Vert -

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2007, 13:49 

I used a WS hack prog for STALKER once when making some WS videos on my 4:3 CRT in 16:10. STALKER doesn't seem to support it properly either. ALL the FOV hack did was make the view farther away though, I could see more laterally, but at the expense of everything not appearing as close. As far as I know, this method of supporting WS FOV is not correct either right?

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2007, 13:59 
Editors
Editors

ALL the FOV hack did was make the view farther way though.i could see more laterally, but at the expense of everything not appearing as close.
I don't think you could have set it up properly ... everything is the same distance for me using the hack ... :wink:

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2007, 14:19 
Founder
Founder

I just tested Gears of War on the 360...... Its Vert-!

Using VGA, I tried it in 1920x1080(1080p) then in 640x480(480p) normal mode(4:3).

It was definately Vert-, you can see more of Marcus in 4:3. I also lined up some stuff when entering a level without moving. Exactly the same Horizontal FOV in both 4:3 and 16:9.

Unreal engine 3... is it time to worry?

PLEASE break out a digital camera, and take a couple of pictures.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2007, 16:00 

PLEASE break out a digital camera, and take a couple of pictures.

On it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next