Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 07:04

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2007, 03:21 

I almost bought this today...but the customer support and closed minded company set has made me decide that they do not deserve my money. I'll help the hackers. (we are really close too btw)

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2007, 03:34 
Insiders
Insiders

You're not improving the situation by "helping" the hackers. If you want to stick it to 2K, the only correct action is to simply not buy the game and leave it like that. Piracy only sends the message that more protection is necessary. A boycott sends the message that you don't want the game given the current state of everything.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2007, 05:02 

You're not improving the situation by "helping" the hackers. If you want to stick it to 2K, the only correct action is to simply not buy the game and leave it like that. Piracy only sends the message that more protection is necessary. A boycott sends the message that you don't want the game given the current state of everything.

to be honest. Its more like I'm a fan. I can't program myself out of a box. so I'm useless. Piracy might give more strict protection but right its just their latest challenge.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2007, 07:09 

Just for the sake of comparison, this is how Ken Levine talks to the community.

Granted, he doesn't address the walk issue in that thread, but I think we can surmise what sort of tone he would adopt in talking about it.

If a 2K mod's behavior is inappropriate and rude, it should be brought to the attention of their boss (2K Elizabeth). They are company representatives, and should be minding their tone, as they do reflect upon 2K. Liz can't monitor everything they do, but we can step in and point to things she needs to see.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2007, 07:49 

Just posted in that thread linked above this post. And it does appear they went out of their way to piss of the PC lot for no good reason.

------- quoted here because I like the sound of my own voice -------

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8531&page=9

I will say congrats on one thing 2k did right compared to some other game devs.

They included a full, nicely info packed manual with the retail version of the game (Unlike HL2 which gave us a stupid quick ref sheet). At least we still retained that retail benefit.

.... that's about all I can think of now though

Ken, can you, hand on heart, deny that the dual development of an Xbox360 version and a PC version hasn't affected the PC release for the worse?

Here i'm talking about the many minor issues that you are now having to write off to 'as intended' like the mouse control and the lack of pacing control (Walk key in this case). I mean it's not like you DON'T know how it should work cos you were the guys behind one of the best PC games ever (SS2) so the only difference I can see is that this time development was primarily led on the Xbox360. And that also applies to a general lack of focus on PC gamers issues which have all been mentioned enough times in this thread.

The point is many of us have 360's and top PCs and we chose to buy the PC version because a lot of us long term players also believe the PC brings benefits to the FPS genre (brilliant mouse/kb control, flexibility of display, modding possibilities) yet these all seem to have gone out of the window on Bioschock. The only other games that also have done that have co-incendetally also been ports from Consoles.

Had we been told that the PC version was taking a 'back seat' then a lot of us would have put up with the dual sticks and grabbed it for the Xbox instead (of course only those that had that choice).

Basically has this been the typical Console to PC port from the likes of Capcom (an otherwise amazing game company on console) then it would be understandable, but coming from 'irrational' (forget '2k' your previous name carried a weight of confidence amongst PC gamers) we never thought for one minute that all the basics of PC gaming would be so blatantly ignored.

It's good that you are looking into helping out the PC gamers and that you show your face in here (which is a rarity in other developers forums) and face the flak, but the main reason i'm pissed about all of this is that we were given ample reasons to complain when the majority of us never wanted to, we wanted to lover your game no questions and we didn't want to give publishers and developers yet another reason to avoid making PC games in the future and by releasing the game with these 'annoying quirks' and the customers having to highlight them (so it looks like we are a buch of 'whining geeks') just serves to hurt future game releases on PC.

Another month of polishing/testing and this game could have been ergonomically perfect on PC and we would all be talking about the game/gameplay instead of banging on about small issues that we took for granted woudn't be in there in a PC game in 2007.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2007, 11:34 
Editors
Editors

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel deeply insulted by Ken Levine's attitude in that thread (particularly the widescreen bullet point (WHY THE etc etc...DICKHEAD))... I read a lot of those widescreen threads, and the only people I could see slinging around abusive language were those who were actively against widescreen. None of the people requesting widescreen were actively rude, as far as I can recall.

I don't care one way or t'other any more, if I'm brutally honest. "Irrational" (which they certainly seem to be!) or "2K Boston" or whatever they want to call themselves can do whatever they want as far as I'm concerned. I was already on the fence with respect to this game because of activation... when I found out just how Draconian that activation was, and the widescreen issue... the possibility of my purchasing Bioshock reached zero.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2007, 13:45 

Thanks Greylantern, added my post to the thread as linked above. (Link)

Below was the post.

-----------------------------

Not sure if Mr Levine is looking into question in this thread or not but I was just wondering about the lack of the ability to walk rather than the “sprint at all timesâ€

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2007, 15:24 

Maybe this has all got something to do with 'expectations'... I think that because all previous titles (-The Lost) from Irrational were PC only, (System Shock 2 most notably), we were all expecting first and foremost a PC game, and that's clearly not what BioShock is.... its an XBox 360 game.

Now if I see a game that is being co-developed for the PC and a Console I immediately know to steer well clear, as currently consoles get preferential treatment. However with BioShock I thought it would be the other way around becasue Irrational seemed to be PC enthusiasts... boy was I wrong!

I'm not saying that any of the problems encountered with the PC version are acceptable, (god GOD no!) they should have taken out a few extra months to polish the PC release... but I think this is a valuable lesson that at least for this generation of games, we should always expect a crap console port...

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2007, 19:50 

That 2K thread got snipped. The plot thickens...

Maybe they do enjoy pissing off the community. :?

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2007, 20:25 

You know it's hard for me to pick any nits with the game anymore, because it's just so damn good.

Seriously, I was right there with all you guys on all the issues, but I started really playing the game last night and in my mind pretty much all is forgiven except the tiny FOV, but luckily Racer_S took care of that. Honestly, I know the game's got issues, but avoiding the game for them would be a mistake.

In any case, I never use the walk function in FPSs anyway, so this isn't a big deal to me. The default movement speed does not seem that fast to me. It feels slower than the default speed in HL2 (which doesn't really have a walk - it's got run and run faster). Although I imagine if you're using the default FOV it would make things seem faster.