Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 17:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Crysis leaked
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2007, 16:38 
Insiders
Insiders

Doesn't this topic i just inform some that it's out?

"Hey, Crysis os out on p2p already? Sweet, i'm not gonna buy it now that i can get it 4 days early!"

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2007, 16:53 
Editors
Editors

Bioshock's protection probably helped it alot, but what happens is that protection can only help that game, They will go on to slap that SHIT protection on many other games, when it has allready been cracked, they know how to crack it again, the next game that uses that protection will be cracked in less then a day, not a week like bioshock.

Yup - that's the problem. I'm adverse to copy protection that treats me like a criminal, as I'm not. It's like the fact that 'innocent until proven guilty' has been turned into 'guilty and who cares if they're innocent?' But I won't get onto that particular soapbox of mine now. ;)

SecuROM 7 was new. It took the crackers a little while to get around it, but now that they know what to do, any game using it'll be cracked just as fast as any other copy-protection system.

Doesn't this topic i just inform some that it's out?

"Hey, Crysis os out on p2p already? Sweet, i'm not gonna buy it now that i can get it 4 days early!"

That was rather what I thought, but equally, to those that are gonna download it, they probably will have found it on the torrent sites already, so in real terms it's not gonna make much difference.

At least this thread hasn't totally devolved into a pro/anti-piracy war. Which is what I expected it to do...

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2007, 18:51 

If those who bought the game can not freely talk about it being available on torrents, where is the freedom? Those who download it for any reason should think about what they are doing, not those who promptly inform others about the leakage. The problem is not in informing others about anything that truly happened. The problem may be only in the decision, in downloading it, or in interferencing the truth. We deserve the freedom of information no matter how many millions of USD is involved or who is the moderator. There is nothing wrong on knowing / sharing truthfull information. The problem arises with hypocrisy of not allowing others to speak or express opinions freely. I do not have any problem with this topis Paradigm. :P

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2007, 19:50 
Editors
Editors

I was, for the most part, agreeing with you. Which is why this thread is still here. ;)

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2007, 19:57 

:D

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2007, 01:20 

Crysis should be bought. Crytek needs the financial reward that that POS Bioshock cheated out of customers. It's just not fair that BS gets rewarded by using it's draconian DRM while Crytek go easier on PC gamers and make a MUCH superior/PC centric game and then may loose sales because of the EA store version... if that's the case that it came from that source.

Anyway, all i'm saying is for the good of PC gaming a game like crysis and a company like Crytek needs rewarding for this game more than most developers, it's bad enough that EA are probably taking most of their profit already ;)

Otherwise, Crysis 2? Expect harsher DRM. (and yes I know it would still end up cracked but if they look at 2k and how it bought them time on bioshock to 'clean up' then they may be forced into it next time) and you can't tell me Crysis didn't have at leat 5 times the work put into it (I mean they had to build the engine too not just buy some middleware, albeit expensive)

Of course there's nothing to be done about it really, the masses don't care but I would gladly pay for two copies of the game because I believe in the product and I believe Crytek have tried to push the envelope and they have at least got great controls and proper fkin widescreen in which every other PC game this year seems to have trouble doing (btw reports in say UT3 also is just like beta but you can go up to 120 on the FOV but no more, and it STILL resets each time you die.. not sure if there is an in menu FOV adjuster as we'd expect from UT but it doesn't sound like).

Blame money, blame the cross platform nature, blame the PC for earning it's bad rep for piracy. :(

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2007, 02:10 

Blame the people that pirate and download the games?

OR do what Bethesda did dont use any copy protection and make a kick ass games and have HUGE sales

Compared to how many times a pirated version has been downloaded? Which figure is higher I wonder?

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2007, 02:49 

Does it matter? really does it at all?

Let's put aside the legal/ethics part of this for a moment and consider that:

Those people who download for free most likely wouldn't buy it even without the option to download it at all.

Hence download or not, you'll get a mega-hit or a flop purely based on how good a game is.

I've bought games that had me blacklist publisher and/or developper, purely out of annoyance over the draconian rules they put in to use their code. Bethesa, 2k games and EA are on that list.

Hint to publishers/developpers/whoever has a word in it. Drop drm, drop cd-checks, stop wasting ressources protecting something that'll get taken by disrespectful cheap (censored) anyhow. Give your true fans and loyal customers a block free, check free, stable and fun game, and they'll come back for more every single time.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2007, 04:09 

Blame the people that pirate and download the games?

OR do what Bethesda did dont use any copy protection and make a kick ass games and have HUGE sales

Compared to how many times a pirated version has been downloaded? Which figure is higher I wonder?

ether way Oblivion is one of the best selling PC games EVER so id say it did damn well and proves you dont need copy protection to make your money

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2007, 04:19 

Tell that to all the small development companies that made good games but got bought up or dissolved by a big publisher.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next