Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 15:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2007, 03:23 

Gamespot has reviewed UT3:

http://au.gamespot.com/pc/action/unrealtournament2007/review.html?sid=6183271

They picked up on the lack of proper widescreen too:

It supports widescreen resolutions, but playing in widescreen actually gives you a smaller view of the overall action, given that the game appears to cut off the top and bottom of the 4:3 view to fit it onto a wider monitor. UT3 certainly isn't the first PC game to have this problem, but given its highly competitive nature, cutting off parts of the screen seems to be a pretty bad solution.

This might get them moving, hopefully.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2007, 03:49 
Insiders
Insiders

Linky no worky.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2007, 04:24 

Fixed.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2007, 06:00 

Excellent! At at last a big review website taking the issue seriously, hopefully this kind of reviewer attitude can go some way to shutting up all the idiots who said Bioshock was 'perfect just as it was' too. (competitive game or not).

If all reviewers now take off 1 point for bad widescreen I guess the developers will stop being so dismissive of the issue. There is no excuse for it and it's not even hard to do properly.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2007, 12:23 

this kind of reviewer attitude can go some way to shutting up all the idiots who said Bioshock was 'perfect just as it was' too. (competitive game or not).

Problem is, it was the Bioshock developers who said Bioshock was implemented as intended, and to perfection...

I'll continue to vote with my wallet...

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2007, 16:38 

Problem is, it was the Bioshock developers who said Bioshock was implemented as intended, and to perfection...

Ken Levine also said they'd put out a patch to address the issue. How many months ago was that?

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2007, 16:54 
Editors
Editors

[quote]

Ken Levine also said they'd put out a patch to address the issue. How many months ago was that?
About a week after the game was released.

Which was in August.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2007, 03:15 

WOW!

Have you guys seen the patch that EPIC have just dropped for UT3?

The game is not even out in some countries yet and this patch fixes MORE than what we've waited 3+ months for the Bioshock patch to fix.

Widescreen/FOV is said to now be adjustable in the advanced video options menu. Not sure what the upper limit is on that but it's good news nonethelss. (I wonder if it changes the weapon position or not though).

Seriously just check out this changelist and tell me that's not good customer care and comitment (ok so a lot of those issues shouldn't have been in the game in the first place esp after the beta feedback but still..)

http://www.unrealnorth.com/news.php?action=view&id=1470

Anyway, it's not official yet (beta) but damn, the game isn't even available everywhere yet and they've patched up so much stuff, 2k should be ashamed.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2007, 04:41 
Insiders
Insiders

It's still too little, too late. They should have made their engine default to hor + behavior in the first place. That could have removed the need for hacks for Bioshock, Stranglehold, and future games in the first place.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2007, 04:53 

It's still too little, too late. They should have made their engine default to hor + behavior in the first place. That could have removed the need for hacks for Bioshock, Stranglehold, and future games in the first place.

Too late? the game's not even released in Aus, NZ or UK yet (tommorow If memory serves).

I do agree it should do it properly out of the box, and also I hear the FOV is still restricted to 100 (but does now stick at least) so it's not a full fix for sure nor of much use to multi screen users or 16:9.