Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 15:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2008, 21:47 

[quote]If you layer on any difficulty less than veteran, it seems as if you were practically invincible. If you played on veteran, you got screwed over by AI EVERY TIME. I cannot tell you how many hundreds of times I played over the second-to-last mission on veteran because my AI kept pushing me out of my cover.

Agreed, I finshed it on Hardened And it wasnt bad till what I think is the second to last mission. The sniper one By the Farris wheel was stupidly hard. Played it probably 20 times or so, And i ended up having to be rather lame, I hid behind the Bumperkarts and watched as they ran all the way around it and would shoot them as soon as they poped around the corner.The Chernobyl level was fine until the last scene with the ferris wheel, and yes I too hid behind the bumper cars.... What killed me was when the SAS sent three people (you included) to prevent the end of the world, and didn't tell the deactivation codes to those ALREADY IN THE CONTROL ROOM.

Some things make sense, the singleplayer campaign didn't.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2008, 23:35 

...Call of Duty 4 is fine AFAIK, but nobody bothered to write a DR for it....

Hey man, I've been a bit lazier than I should have, I'll get on it.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2008, 00:41 

[quote][quote]If you layer on any difficulty less than veteran, it seems as if you were practically invincible. If you played on veteran, you got screwed over by AI EVERY TIME. I cannot tell you how many hundreds of times I played over the second-to-last mission on veteran because my AI kept pushing me out of my cover.

Agreed, I finshed it on Hardened And it wasnt bad till what I think is the second to last mission. The sniper one By the Farris wheel was stupidly hard. Played it probably 20 times or so, And i ended up having to be rather lame, I hid behind the Bumperkarts and watched as they ran all the way around it and would shoot them as soon as they poped around the corner.The Chernobyl level was fine until the last scene with the ferris wheel, and yes I too hid behind the bumper cars.... What killed me was when the SAS sent three people (you included) to prevent the end of the world, and didn't tell the deactivation codes to those ALREADY IN THE CONTROL ROOM.

Some things make sense, the singleplayer campaign didn't.

I guess I got lucky...I've never had a problem with AI. Played it on both the console and PC through Veteran and it all seemed smooth to me. They might run in front of me from time to time is all.
Don't they tell you the codes shortly before you get to the room? And the other Marines arrive in the control room same time you do, no? I'm a bit fuzzy on the details atm. :S

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2008, 02:24 

Agreed, I finshed it on Hardened And it wasnt bad till what I think is the second to last mission. The sniper one By the Farris wheel was stupidly hard. Played it probably 20 times or so, And i ended up having to be rather lame, I hid behind the Bumperkarts and watched as they ran all the way around it and would shoot them as soon as they poped around the corner.
The Chernobyl level was fine until the last scene with the ferris wheel, and yes I too hid behind the bumper cars....
Oh god that mission was a slut :<
i hid RIGHT at the back (further back then where they spawn) and barely made it into the chopper alive.
I still havent actually finished it , im at the last area-ish with the timelimit to get to the control room and there are these 5 guys that constantly kill me.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2008, 16:25 

Admittedly, that mission is quite a bitch. My only advice is pre-fire and flashes. :(

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2008, 04:19 

Bioshock was awful even disregarding it's horrible widescreen problems, PC at least, it was one of the shoddiest products i've seen in some years for gameplay, bugs and PC centric design. Seriously the mouse doesn't work right, the interface is all wrong for PC the only thing it has going for it is a nice theme, some nice graphics and a deviation from the norm of FPS storylines.

My vote goes to CRYSIS, you need a GOOD system to enjoy it fully it's true but it's stunning in gameplay, physics and graphics. And what's more the 'slight' problem of the FMV is pretty much a non issue in the scheme of things as the 99% of the game uses realtime which is perfect Widescreen.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2008, 10:45 

CoD4 for sure over any of the others mentioned. Portal was fun and unique, but extremely short, one dimensional in content, and very unbalanced annoyingly so in it's challenges.

CoD4 will go down in history as one of the best shooters of all time even though it was released amongst some pretty big and anticipated titles, Crysis of which pales in comparison sales wise.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2008, 11:52 

I didn't find the wheel misison at all difficult at that part. (nea r extraction)
I went as back as possible, up the small "hill", and with some good aiming it was exciting but never felt like I am going to fail.

I found the single player part of CoD fun, but way way way too short. Still, I do not find the CoD games as much any most other FPS due to the mechanics where you have to advance to a certain point to force the enemy stop spawining and coming in waves. I find it so silly I just find it impossible to recommend the game as best of for any category.

From the list, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is my choice.
Bioshock could be so much better as a game, but it isn't. Combined with the whole WS issue, I say, fudge it.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2008, 03:00 

You know, I don't think we talk enough about S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and its awesomeness so I'm going to just throw this in...

I'm just at the X18 lab and jesus, I forgot how bloody scary this place is... as I mentioned before, the sound is just spot on! All these low frequency rumbles, foot steps or strange clanging sounds... I know nothing is there but I literally jump out my seat! The developers understand that it's the imagination that scares you and thats what makes the game so powerful.

I just checked oblivion-lost.de and they have a media update on Clear Sky... just look at the character models... reminds me of the first character comparison shots from Half-Life 2 when they came out, what a difference!

http://www.oblivion-lost.de/index.php?zone=design2&lang=en

Now I always thought parts of the game had a cartoony look to it, the characters especially, they didn't really tie together with the world properly... so imagine how much more impressive the game will be if the devs match the art design to the level and sound design - it'll be amazing! :)

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2008, 03:44 

Portal was the most fun I've had since...Quake III. Its seriously fun.

STALKER was boring...to me...