Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 02:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: 07 Nov 2008, 02:20 

Hey Guys, sorry to bump the old thread but...

I didn't end up buying this game (what!?) well all the reviews were pretty negative, and well nobody was overly enamored with it on release, so I thought it was worth a wait and see... sooo...

I'd like to ask; now that patch 1.5.07 is out, and PrEsUmAbLy most of the bugs have been squished, is this game worth £17.99 ?? I still really want to get it, and I am a huge fan of the original game. Basically, in your incredibly trustworthy onions; do the faults of the game spoil the overall experience...?

Cheers!

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2008, 07:46 
Editors
Editors

I've been enjoying it. For me, Stalker 1 was better, only because the overall exploring nature of the game was pretty good. I found in 2 it's pretty hard to explore all the time because you've gotta carry 1000 ammo just so you know you'll be safe, then when you find something it takes you 45 minutes to go back to somewhere to sell or use it.

If i could I'd take the upgrades, and overall look of the 2nd and mash it into the first and it wolud be perfect.

Overall yeah I'd say splurge and buy it, the patches seem to have fixed a lot of things and if you liked the first one, you should like the second. Finally, just give it a chance, I hated it at first, and after I got out of the swamps, it seemed to play better, look better, and even run faster on my system. so give it a chance before bashing it like i did.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2008, 17:34 

Thanks maherie!

This is the good news I wanted to hear. I've never waited for such a hotly anticipated title like this before, usually I just go out and buy it first day but with Clear Sky I didn't want to be disappointed... of course the major drawback to that is if you wait just a few weeks to play a game you miss out on all the fun of discussing it with others as by that time they've all moved on to bigger and better things...

Thanks again maherie, I shall persevere with it like you suggest and let you all know my thoughts once I've got it! :D

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2008, 00:00 
Editors
Editors

Thanks maherie!

This is the good news I wanted to hear. I've never waited for such a hotly anticipated title like this before, usually I just go out and buy it first day but with Clear Sky I didn't want to be disappointed... of course the major drawback to that is if you wait just a few weeks to play a game you miss out on all the fun of discussing it with others as by that time they've all moved on to bigger and better things...

Thanks again maherie, I shall persevere with it like you suggest and let you all know my thoughts once I've got it! :D

Sweet, no problems. And hey - I'm still playing so feel free to discuss in here, I'm only about half way if that, so I'm only probably 10-15 hours in front because I only really play once a week. So we can go through it together.

EDIT: on second thought, Im going to start fresh, get a new game going so lets keep up the chat in here about what you're doing and where you're going in the game.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2008, 01:58 

Sweet, no problems. And hey - I'm still playing so feel free to discuss in here, I'm only about half way if that, so I'm only probably 10-15 hours in front because I only really play once a week. So we can go through it together.

EDIT: on second thought, Im going to start fresh, get a new game going so lets keep up the chat in here about what you're doing and where you're going in the game.

Yay! I've just ordered it, will continue to discuss in a couple o' days when I've got it and I'm playin' :) woo! :o

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2008, 09:09 
Editors
Editors

Day 1: Usual chat in the base, had to go to help the people at the tower. It's pretty much a cut scene anyway so got to there and saved it.

Performance is shot house on my system still, but after a few missions, i think I remember it picking up.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2008, 18:55 

Hey maherie it's been posted to me (yay!) so shouldn't be too long... by the way, you have almost identical spec to me (bar the Galapagos hard drive! lol), E6600, 4GB RAM, 8800GTX, Dell 2407, I was wondering, do you game at 1920 x 1200 on Clear Sky? Can we use the DX10.1 code paths on the 8800GTX? One final thing, is AA at all possible?

By the way I'm on Vista x64.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2008, 19:17 

No, we can't use DX 10.1 path, because they aren't hard coded onto the hardware (not even the 2XX series).

Also, to get playable frames with Clear Sky max settings + 2xAA (which you need Vista for btw), you need SLI at minimum. SLI³ recomended.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2008, 10:16 
Editors
Editors

No, we can't use DX 10.1 path, because they aren't hard coded onto the hardware (not even the 2XX series).

Also, to get playable frames with Clear Sky max settings + 2xAA (which you need Vista for btw), you need SLI at minimum. SLI³ recomended.

QTF!!!!!

I play at 1680x1050, I enjoy it as it makes the targets a little easier to hit. :oops:

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2008, 06:17 

I played SHoC at 1680x1050, but clear sky arrived after i'd gotten my 42" so 1920x1080 for me. Damn pretty at that rez

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next