Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 16:30

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2008, 17:31 
Insiders
Insiders

Also, all of them (since VII iirc) have two minor characters in the game called Biggs and Wedge. Yes, this is a Star Wars reference. Although I think in XII they were Wiggs and Bedge. But those two still count.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2008, 18:35 

Despite certain things the games have nothing to do witheach other, Square does find a way to add certain things from older games in newer ones such as choboco's, characters named Biggs/Wedge but other than that the games are completely different.

I've played/completed every FF past 6 and I know all the commonalities there are, but no game has anything to do with eachother other than those few commonalities. *11 was an MMO and doesn't count*

Hi Ascii, Very Happy

Please do not take anything I say to heart, I don't mean to upset anyone. I would never judge anyone for the games they play. Not at all. I was just wondering why I can't get into the games so many millions of other people can, it is annoying! I wish i could join in!! *Sigh*, it's something that's vexed me for years and I have remained silent for too long, in the fear of upsetting someone... I guess years of keeping schtum had caught up with me.

Anyway thank you for listening

There is no problem, if you read you'd see that I think your rant wasn't bad. you attacked a game/genre but not the people, that's fine. Not everyone likes the same shit and you didn't attack the people.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2008, 19:06 

Well Sony, at least Blu-ray won.

They better have something up their sleeves today or Microsoft just won ALL of the internets.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2008, 19:58 
Editors
Editors

This might, perhaps, be a little disjointed...

Eh, I'm not too bothered either way, to be honest. MS just pulled off some awesome news - FFXIII 360, HDD game installs and 16:10 support, which are great, but aren't going to convince me to buy a 360 as a lot of the other stuff they're pushing (achievements, social networking, yadda yadda...) I'm just not interested in. So far the only game that really draws me toward the 360 is Mass Effect - and that, purely, because I don't want the PC DRM nonsense.

So far the series that were on the PS2 that I absolutely adored - DMC, FF... their next-gen versions I've utterly detested. I'll still probably buy FFXIII, but I'm not expecting greatness out of it. I've been spoilt by how incredibly good (and replayable) the earlier FF games are; it's also proof that good graphics do not make a good game.

I'm honestly surprised that Square-Enix haven't gone multiplatform in the past... and suspect that is due to agreements with Sony (much like their agreements with Nintendo years past), so I'm not unhappy to see that it's now multiplatform - so long as they don't let one platform suffer for the benefit of the other.

I've seen 360 fanboys on the net screaming about how "OMG PS3 iz teh failz!" for losing FFXIII as an exclusive, and PS3 fanboys moaning about Square selling them out. Hah. Yeah, right. DMC4 seemed to do fairly well multiplatform, playing to the strengths of each console, so I can only say that, right now, FFXIII going multiplatform means that more people can potentially play it. And this is a good thing.

I have to admit, I'm not sure which version will be 'better' if you want to look at it in those terms - Square are going to be well aware that Japan is their home territory and FFXIII is going to sell massively there - but I doubt that it'll sell 360s, given the relatively low penetration of the 360 as a device in Japan. It'll sell massively on the PS3 there, so Square aren't going to want to screw up the PS3 version. In the US and Europe, it will probably sell slightly better on the 360, just through sheer number of installed units.

I'm looking forward to FFXIII. I'll be buying it on the PS3. But honestly, I'm not holding my breath for it to be an awesome game, as FFXII was rather... underwhelming... for me. I had more fun going back and playing FFVI than I did playing FFXII.

As for continuity in the FF games... there is little. Not none as Square seem to have decided to milk a cash-cow for all it's worth, rather than stick to their guns on the matter of sequels etc. Examples? Certainly:
FFX -> FFX-2
FFXII -> FFXII Revenant Wings
FFVII -> FFVII Advent Children -> FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus -> Crisis Core (CC is a prequel, but is the latest of the FFVII 'world')

I'd love a sequel or prequel or... well, anything really, to FFVIII and FF Tactics, but I know it's not going to happen. ;)

There are a few other elements that link the games together - Biggs and Wedge (Biggs was named Vicks in FF6), Chocobos, characters called Cid, spell names, items, summons/espers/GFs/whatever-you-want-to-call-thems, and in most of the games, the Active Time Battle system (yes, they got creative a few of the games, like FFX and FFXII, and moved away from that, and while the FFX battle system wasn't too bad (basically ATB tweaked) I really hated whatever the FFXII one was called... CTB was it?

In fact, recently, as Square have got more and more adventurous with the changes they make to each game... I've grown less and less keen on them.

I can understand why some people don't like the FF games... in the most rigid sense they're quite limiting for a significant portion of the game over what you can do, but hey, I personally can't stand most MMOs or Counterstrike-esque games... so everyone has something they don't like. If everyone liked everything, it'd be a very boring world. :lol:

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2008, 20:33 

FFX -> FFX-2
FFXII -> FFXII Revenant Wings
FFVII -> FFVII Advent Children -> FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus -> Crisis Core

we're talking about mainstream games here, there are no sequels, FFX-2 itself proves it by it's name, it's just a Lesbian version of FF10 and it was just a side game and wasn't a "real" FF game, hence it's name.

I utterly hated FFX-2 and Tactics in every aspect.

I also HATED FF12 at first but then I realized that Since we're not playing on shitty consoles anymore Pre-Rendered backgrounds are a thing of the past and this is the future of RPG's, even Square-Enix RPG's. I've only played about 18 hours of the game though b/c I was borrowing a friends PS2 to play my copy of the game and that was almost a year ago then I moved and had to give the console back.

Although, Square had just made FF 11 then they made 12 which both games have MMO type gameplay involving aggro ect.. but 13 may be completely different and I get the feeling it is, I think they abandoned the MMO style already, which was probably a good idea.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2008, 20:49 
Editors
Editors

What do you define as 'mainstream' then? What consoles do you define it by? Even Square said X-2 was the first direct sequel they'd done in the FF universe.

I define 'sequel' or 'prequel' to continue the same universe as set by another game, and expand it or look at it from another perspective. Therefore X-2 is a sequel to X, Revenant Wings is a sequel to XII, Crisis Core is a prequel to VII, FFVII:AC is a sequel to VII, Dirge of Cerberus is a sequel to FFVII:AC. ;)

I hated XII purely because the characters pissed me off, the storyline I found... uninspiring and frankly, I don't have time to play a game where every time a character so much as twitches I get annoyed. :lol: Oh, that and the music wasn't done by Uematsu. Sacrilege!

Tactics was great. I'd recommend Disgaea for another tactical RPG, but if you don't like that sort of thing then... ;)

What I find really hilarious, actually, is that when the FF games stick to a storyline, they get bashed for being 'too rigid' and 'not open enough'... and when they try to be open they get bashed for being 'unfocussed' and 'lacking in driving story'. :lol:

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2008, 20:55 

What do you define as 'mainstream' then? What consoles do you define it by? Even Square said X-2 was the first direct sequel they'd done in the FF universe.

FFX-2 seemed like a piece of crap game that a different team worked on to make all the 500lbs fat lesbian chicks happy.

that and the music wasn't done by Uematsu. Sacrilege!

That's b/c he and all of the music people left and created the Lost Odyssey Soundtrack, which is amazing btw.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2008, 21:02 
Editors
Editors

Hm. I must not have been paying attention if that slipped past me. Lost Odyssey would be a big, big reason to buy a 360. :oops:

And I'll agree that X-2 was utter pants. It was at best a half-hearted effort to appease fans who were clamouring for some continuation of FFX's cliffhanger, and at worst a total waste of time that started to put some enthusiasts off the FF series.

I'll go with the latter, there.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2008, 21:02 

Tactics was great. I'd recommend Disgaea for another tactical RPG, but if you don't like that sort of thing then... ;)

Disgaea, yeah good game is that. There is a port coming for the psp, if i remember it. It is final fantasy tactics, but then a bit different, and in a different world/realm/reality or how do you wanna call it.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2008, 21:22 
Editors
Editors

Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness. :) Port to PSP was released in the UK last year, just before Christmas. It was so popular (no idea how - Disgaea was rather a 'cult' hit here; it was fairly hard to find brand new, and it's still quite a toughie to locate second hand sometimes... although not as hard as the Shin Megami Tensei games from Atlus in the US - the prices they command make me tempted to sell my copies of them...) that I couldn't get my hands on a copy until nearly February.