Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 13 Jul 2024, 18:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2008, 01:06 

As I understood it, fallout 3 will ship without drm -that we know of-.

It was just fine saying it'll be a disc check like oblivion, adding that's the only part they can talk about triggers the 'they're hiding something' part of my instincts.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2008, 02:47 

I know I'm gonna get a slap for saying it, but Far Cry 2 just looks too brown for my liking! If they showed a few areas with a little more colour I'd be in there... oh dear, even reading what I've just written I want to slap myself but hey, I like a bit of variety in my levels...

I think thats why I found BioShock so visually appealing. I'm a visual person I guess; I'll wait and see what everyone says before I buy. Oh and especially with the DRM infections that have been spreading about. I'm not about to line the pockets of those cats until they stop treating me like a theif.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2008, 03:20 

Oh and especially with the DRM infections that have been spreading about. I'm not about to line the pockets of those cats until they stop treating me like a theif.

I will definitely be observant in the detailed review of any DRM included in Far Cry 2 (if any).

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2008, 06:20 

Well i weren't gonna post because its becoming pretty off-topic lol, but L4D is THE game I'm most looking forward to and I'm hoping it will revive my passion in multiplayer again.

And they are all zombies chasing after you - 4 survivors trying to make it out alive. If one of you gets bitten/eaten/mauled/touched inappropriately, then you become one of the zombies. Anyone (if you allow it) can join in your MP game as one of the zombies against you as well, so you could be fighting against a mix of AI and real people all the time. Doing this with your mates on ts2/vent/whatever shines a whole new light on screaming like a girl with 3 other men at 2am.

I'm fairly sure the valve left4dead site says when you die you have a weak firing pistol kinda as a second chance or something and in that time a teammate needs to give you a med kit. If they don't heal you the dead player needs to spectate until the squad meets a new character in the "movie"

and you can play as zombies, but you need to select it right off the bat, and you play as one of the "boss zombies" from the level.

I know I'm gonna get a slap for saying it, but Far Cry 2 just looks too brown for my liking! If they showed a few areas with a little more colour I'd be in there... oh dear, even reading what I've just written I want to slap myself but hey, I like a bit of variety in my levels...

I think thats why I found BioShock so visually appealing. I'm a visual person I guess; I'll wait and see what everyone says before I buy. Oh and especially with the DRM infections that have been spreading about. I'm not about to line the pockets of those cats until they stop treating me like a theif.

don't worry i'm not here to slap you in the face, but i'm a little confused. All bioshock's visuals are a dark repetitive underwater things, you never leave rapture and it's all similar looking in my opinion. (I haven't beaten this game, but i've seen most of it, i'm working on beating it now that i have a pc that can actually play it) I love bioshock to death i'm not bashing it, i'm just trying to say that bioshock isn't very colorful, but it is presented in a very artistic way IMO.

I can see where you're coming from though tf2 has alot of very brown maps and that's why i loved arena lumberyard, it was nice to see a new theme for a level. it would be nice to see some contrast in farcry 2, especially since browning desert themes are kinda overused these days...i think.......

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2008, 08:09 
Editors
Editors

FC2...somewhat interested. Aside from the DRM pass/fail test (most games are failing these days), does it still use the player-is-constantly-dying-from-malaria-and-must-seek-out-medicine-to-heal-himself gameplay mechanic? The first time I read that in a preview it just screamed out "kill the fun" to me.

L4D...really anxious for this one. Co-op is crazy awesome fun, and Valve actually holds my confidence. Paradigm, you need to try it out. -edit- And Valve has announced there WILL be a demo!

Fallout 3- watched some of the video previews recently. It's got my interest but I need more data. If they delivery on the 'reasonable DRM' promise, though, I might buy it just to give them a thumbs up.

touched inappropriately

:lol:
If the zombies be doin that, I'm selecting the full-body chainmail option ;)

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2008, 19:29 

I will definitely be observant in the detailed review of any DRM included in Far Cry 2 (if any).

Thanks Stec, I'll be keeping an eye out for your review! :)

don't worry i'm not here to slap you in the face, but i'm a little confused. All bioshock's visuals are a dark repetitive underwater things, you never leave rapture and it's all similar looking in my opinion. (I haven't beaten this game, but i've seen most of it, i'm working on beating it now that i have a pc that can actually play it) I love bioshock to death i'm not bashing it, i'm just trying to say that bioshock isn't very colorful, but it is presented in a very artistic way IMO.

I can see where you're coming from though tf2 has alot of very brown maps and that's why i loved arena lumberyard, it was nice to see a new theme for a level. it would be nice to see some contrast in farcry 2, especially since browning desert themes are kinda overused these days...i think.......

Isn't it funny how different people see different things! BioShock, to me, was a feast for the eyes not only in an artistic way but I saw colour everywhere. Though you are quite right, it's very dark in places and green is the dominant colour, I thought there were areas bursting with colour vareity. Deep red carpets, steely blue struts separating massive glass walls behind which lay the deep green sea; blue frozen areas, orange rust-stained industrial areas and lush green areas; all peppered with bright neon signs lighting up every nook and cranny :) Sadly I found a lot of faults with the game but the visuals were top notch.

I do hope we see a little more variety in Far Cry 2 once it comes out and gets reviewed, like large interiors or something! I've hardly seen any structures other than huts and small houses.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2008, 23:31 
Editors
Editors

Just to say I got around to reading PC GAMER UK's review of Far Cry 2 this morning in bed and they gave it 94%. Main points to note are the plentiful variations of game events (when you start a new game, you may be in a completely different location than you were on your first play-through), procedural storytelling, beautiful graphics knocking on Crysis' door and "Combat that just works"

Something to note though ...
Some will simply reject this game because it's hooked up to Massive's in-game ads system, where roadside billboards advertise real-world products.

Maybe one to play with blocked access to the net then eh ?

I think I might pre-order this after all though! It's a pretty shining review.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2008, 00:25 
Editors
Editors

Or just add Massive's IP addresses to your hosts file. ;)

Intriguing gameplay elements...

So is the character-dying-from-malaria feature still in?

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2008, 00:39 

And many of us will be happy to hear that Fallout 3 ships sans DRM :)
http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=20894

I sure do hope they aren't hiding any DRM from us, but I think when they say they don't do any confirms it, I canceled my Red Alert 3 pre-order and pre-ordered Fallout instead, hopefully that was a good decision on my part, it looks fun.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2008, 11:33 
Editors
Editors

Something to note though ...
Some will simply reject this game because it's hooked up to Massive's in-game ads system, where roadside billboards advertise real-world products.

I think I might pre-order this after all though! It's a pretty shining review.

Does this mean it has to be connected to the net to play? Or merely that if you are online, it updates the ads based on who's paid them recently?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next