Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 02:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2008, 16:40 
Editors
Editors

The Left4Dead demo is now available to all who pre-ordered the game on PS3/Xbox/PC.

Use this thread to discuss the game as the last thread with L4D in it went off on one. So gameplay and impressions only please!

My copy on steam is currently unpacking/decrypting so will be able to have a bash soon! :D
Excited to say the least. :lol:

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2008, 19:56 

Hey eZ'

Is this game going to offer anything to a single player or is it multi player only? I've not much call for multi player games as I prefer the intensity of playing myself, (esp. scary games!) plus I have no friends :D

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2008, 20:25 
Editors
Editors

It can be played in Single player fully as well, but with BOTS for your other 3 team mates.

Well first impressions are it's awesomely good, but the matchmaking system is awful and there are no dedicated servers up. If you host your own server it seems theres a bug which slowly diminishes game performance over time until everyone gets disconnected and the host is left with about 10fps. Really disappointing - at the moment you have to wait about 10 minutes hoping to find a dedicated server (or hoping the GAME finds one - you have no control over what server you join).

They've really messed this up, but the games great. Hopefully they can add in a server browser and clear up these issues before the game's release !!

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2008, 20:27 
Editors
Editors

Screenshots .... :nudgenudge
Does it feel like your on ice skates as with nigh on every other Valve game ? ... :P

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2008, 20:47 
Editors
Editors

Lol, no, it feels pretty good. Well actually, it does feel like other source games, so if that's what you think about others then probably, yes !

I haven't managed to take any screenshots yet lol, when i actually managed to get through a full game it was too much fun, i never thought, but I'll try to soon.
I've set up my own dedicated server, yet cannot connect to it, which is annoying to say the least, especially as random people from the world of the internets can!!

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2008, 22:39 

Downloading right now, will post more when I get to actually play it.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2008, 22:40 
Administrators
Administrators

Taking down the ZPS server and deploying two l4d demo servers in it's place

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2008, 22:52 

Taking down the ZPS server and deploying two l4d demo servers in it's place

for the love of god, don't do that. I'll let you know when they FIX the L4D server bugs...

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2008, 22:53 
Administrators
Administrators

Ugh, can't I just put up one L4D server then? Maybe the linux one works?

-edit- screw it, I'll just add the two servers anyway :) They fill up (max 4 player) every time I launch it!!

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2008, 22:57 

Ugh, can't I just put up one L4D server then? Maybe the linux one works?

What the hell you think i'm running it on? :lol: WINDOWS? :lol: Check the WSGF TF2 server, you'll notice it's down. HINT HINT

Anyways, no, don't even bother setting one up, it's failure beyond belief. You can't even manually connect to the servers through the dev console. :evil:

Here's my version results:
Version 0 - Starts, does not load map
Version 1 - Starts, attempts to load l4d_demo_hospital01_apartments actual filename is l4d_dem_hospital01_apartments, cannot set up as Internet server, Steam.so/.dll non-existent or corrupt
Version 2 - Fixed Internet mode, still loading wrong map name, however a ./srcds_run +map l4d_dem_hospital01_apartments results in loading the correct map up to a crash, random "Incorrect command" or something along that, never the same line twice but line number always over 27000.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next