Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 02:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: GTA IV and more and more
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2008, 23:43 
Editors
Editors

I stuck with it. It's Rockstar Social club messing it up. You can't be logged into it.
But now I have the graphical problems.

Flickering shadows being the main problem ...... short video showing it

Shadows on full (16 i think) or on 0, it doesn't matter. It's less pronounced at 0, but the 'static' light still flickers. Unplayable without a trip to the toilet every 2 minutes or a 999 call for an epileptic fit.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2008, 00:16 
Editors
Editors

Flickering shadows being the main problem ...... short video showing it

Wow, that is bad. Like some kid on speed flipping light switches off and on. Can't imagine what that does to the eyes running fullscreen, but toilet access would seem prudent.

It's no wonder you wrecked that fence. ;)

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2008, 00:26 
Editors
Editors

(Vista64 : nah, really from what I read on various forums, you can play under that OS. The update issue reported on Hellforge may be true but despite what the guy wrote, there's no terminal impossibility to install and play the game with Vista64. A 32-bit OS probably helps when you're trying to recollect all possible causes for the game not working and software updates to apply, but GTA4 can definitely be played with Vista64.
...Ain't that some big relief ?! :lol: )

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2008, 00:47 

On the box it says something along the lines of "Enhanced for 64bit" There is not even a 64bit executable apparently.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2008, 01:09 

I love that ... it would be even better if it messed up their comps if they used a pirated game.

I sure hope you're being facetious. On two past occasions, a game with online activation accused me of being a pirate because their validation server was screwed up.

Seriously - we're talking class-action lawsuit stuff there. Anyone remember the Sony rootkit?

I pay for every game I own, but I'll freely admit to running DRM-circumventing executables just so I can enjoy my game as much as the pirate scum (and boy are you right about that).

Really, the only solution is for PC owners to wake up, remember what happened to the Amiga (destroyed by piracy in large part), and act accordingly.

PC OWNERS MUST STOP PIRATING FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!

Ok, I'm done...

:wink:

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2008, 02:16 

Oh my god, I knew it was bad but not this bad... it seems people on the guru3D thread are less than impressed too with this release... by the way sorry eZ' if I casued you any greif on the other thread I was kinda half joking... sorry your experience has been so bad. What a shame as rockstar have ruined what could have been an otherwise very enjoyable experience, even a defining moment in the PC industry with the level on anticipation this game has had for the last few years.

It's quite shocking how bad things are getting for PC gamers :(

PC OWNERS MUST STOP PIRATING FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!

Ok, I'm done...

:wink:

I think differently, I think we should not purchase the games themselves at all (nor should we pirate them, I never condone that ever) but this treatment won't stop and we have to hit them where it hurts.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2008, 03:28 

And--- Its cracked.

Why did Rockstar choose to have copy protection?

Rockstar: Creating video game entertainment is our passion and we invest a considerable amount of time and effort to release each title, and employ a large number of people in the process. Having copy protection allows us to protect the integrity or our titles and future investments, but at the same time we have worked very hard to ensure that our solutions do not persecute the legitimate players of our games. Implemented correctly, SecuROM is the most effective form of disc based copy protection and allows us to manage authenticity on a global level for Grand Theft Auto IV.

I think they used it incorrectly.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2008, 05:31 
Editors
Editors

SecuROM is the most effective form of disc based copy protection and allows us to manage authenticity on a global level for Grand Theft Auto IV.

Obviously the smartest marketing people work for SecuROM (Sony), since they can continually convince companies to use their product despite repeated failure.

Do they actually think that large numbers of pirates will run out and drop $50 on a new game because it's not on bittorrent the first time they check the trackers? Tis the season for wishful thinking...

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2008, 08:29 

Do they actually think that large numbers of pirates will run out and drop $50 on a new game because it's not on bittorrent the first time they check the trackers? Tis the season for wishful thinking...

DRM can work the first time its used, SecuROM 7 was in Bioshock first and it took over a week for a working crack to get out. I know some people that actually got fed up of waiting and bought the game after 4-5 days.

But now there are 5 or so SecuROM 7 based games where you could use the exact same crack for any of them. Why? Nothing has changed.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2008, 11:54 

To be honest, if I was Jupix, I'd be writing to Rockstar demanding my money back. If that didn't work, I'd drop them in the shit with any official agency I could that would give me a chance of getting my money back, and them fined. Bear in mind that it is against Trading Standards to provide a product which is fundamentally flawed. And with those issues... it looks fundamentally flawed.

You're right, but personally I'm still battling over whether I should return it. I probably won't, since after all, I want to play the thing.

In all likelyhood I'll just post a real smelly message on the R* message boards, assuming they run such a thing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 26  Next