Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Oct 2024, 18:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Windows XP still on top
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2008, 20:26 

Yes vista is fine for new hardware. And I miss it when I am on my XP Netbook. But you would have great difficulty taking either from me.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2008, 23:44 
Editors
Editors

I have seen this, 25k whisked away while he was on hols in the UK :(

Wow , I wish I had 25k for them to whisk away! :lol:
It's all updated n stuff now anyway, and I believe GTA4 requires SP3 anyway? So it's lucky coincidence I got the push now.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2008, 00:24 

[quote]I have seen this, 25k whisked away while he was on hols in the UK :(

Wow , I wish I had 25k for them to whisk away! :lol:
It's all updated n stuff now anyway, and I believe GTA4 requires SP3 anyway? So it's lucky coincidence I got the push now.

But GTA 4 has evil DRM on it! I'm not buying it. Well I wouldn't have bought it anyway, but it's evil! And no I won't pirate it either I never do that. Besides I think that sort of game works best on a console and I don't have a PS3 or Xbox 360. I bought San Andreas for the PC and I thought it was awful.

EDIT: the installation procedure sounds great fun too:

http://hellforge.gameriot.com/blogs/Random-Ravings/20-Easy-Steps-to-Starting-GTA-IV-on-Your-PC

EDIT 2: sorry to derail thread lol carry on :D

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2008, 01:35 
Editors
Editors

Wow. As if I wasn't already completely depressed and regretted pre-ordering it, that's kinda sealed it....
The only slight bit of optimism I have left to hold on to is that the Steam version may be a little less of a faff to setup. But that's either optimism, or stupidity.
Anyway, don't de-rail this thread :P

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2008, 05:44 

Dr. Watson will hang explorer.exe for no reason, explorer dies, explorer restarts, all is well again.

I remember that drw .exe and .dll files and the aedebug or something registry entry was one of the first tweak I applied to any new xp install.

As far as I'm concerned dr. watson has always crashed programs instead of preventing them from doing so.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2008, 05:46 

tbh , id use vista if it would recognize my 400gb partition , but it doesent for whatever reason so i -have- to use XP...

If it's formatted as FAT32 might explain it, they put a 32gb limit sometime back due to concerns of slackspace and data corruption or something.

Though I've used pre-made fat32 larger than that with no problem in xp, I've never tried under vista.

If I get a chance to reinstall my VM I'll see what I can dig up, I used it before to test raid 0 of 1tb+ arrays before doing so for real.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2008, 06:35 
Editors
Editors

I have one one gaming rig running Vista, and one running XP. So take your pick.

The XP rig seems to be developing some odd quirks, though - Dr. Watson will hang explorer.exe for no reason, explorer dies, explorer restarts, all is well again.

Seems to only happen when I'm playing music through Winamp and surfing the net with Firefox 2 and have something else from Office 2003 (like Word/Outlook/Excel) and Spybot S&D open too. Kind of annoying. But unless that collection of things is running, everything is fine.

I thought I read somewhere winamp was the problem there... I had the same problems all the time. Try closing your other programs and trying to get it to happen with just winamp open. One of the main reasons why I left winamp behind... mind you it was 6 months ago and I can't say 100% that's what's causing it, but on my XP SP3 machine, i've not had IE errors for ages after uninstalling winamp.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2008, 23:45 
Editors
Editors

I can leave Winamp running for hours without issue. So it's not Winamp. :(

None of my other rigs do it, even with those programs running, so I guess there must be a driver conflict too. It's possible.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2008, 00:08 
Editors
Editors

Winamp, meh.

XMplay is my preferred player. ;)

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2008, 00:39 

Winamp, meh.

XMplay is my preferred player. ;)

Foobar2000 is my preferred player. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next