Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 15:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2009, 15:17 

I think we'll all be pleasantly surprised how hardcore the PC community is and how few people will buy CODMW2 for the PC.

Rock on being a consumer and sending your money where the good products are. F)*& you IW.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2009, 22:43 

I dismiss them because having graphical controls and settings to tweak them, along with the ability to use the keyboard and mouse, are standard features found in all FPS games to date. I don't factor that in when comparing the two versions.

Well, since those differences are of epic importance to most PC gamers, and in fact define the PC platform along with open-system development, I wouldn't toss them aside in a comparison. It reminds me of sites like gametrailers that do console vs. PC graphics comparisons, but for fairness sake set the PC version at 720p with no AA... what is that supposed to prove? The reason PC graphics are better is because you are not stuck at that res.

The point is this all started because you said something like "there is no reason to get the PC version now" and I am saying those, right there, are the reasons.

MW2 being rendered at a low resolution is what the developers decided upon. But that matters little because we all know the PC version will render at many times the size of what the 360 can do. Is it worth spending part of US$60 for it? Is it also worth spending that much just so I can tweak the game's graphical settings and use keyboard & mouse? That's an expensive investment just to have two or three things that makes the PC port superior to the 360.

Both versions cost $60 and the PC version has better controls and better graphics... that is my only point. If you are going to buy one, and are a PC gamer, there is no reason at all to get it on Xbox and several reasons to get it on PC. Again, that is my only point... I was replying to your statement there is no reason to get the PC version.

I do not feel MW2 should be purchased no matter the reason, be it on PC or 360.

As a singleplayer gamer who enjoys coop now and then but never competitive multi there are a TON of reasons to get Modern Wardare 2, and I plan to do so. The only thing they have said that impacts me is the lack of lean, but honestly I never used it in CoD anyway, as the game is not tactical at all, so I don't care about that either.

I do not feel anyone should risk spending US$60 on a game developed by a company who back-stab the very community that put them on the map. And if there's a bug found in the game? One has to wonder just how long IW will bother to support it.

They're not back-stabbing you, they are trying to appeal to their largest base of customers, which is what any business will do. The nature of success is that is changes your business model as you create on higher and higher levels of customer base. As I said in another thread, the niche gaming experience you want with shooters, and I want with RPGs, is not going to be provided by large corporation game making machines anymore... it just isn't. Luckily on PC you have other options, if you look for them... move away from the heavy marketing and toward the communities of people like you and what they are making or suggesting.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 00:37 

no lean ? :shock:
at the highest difficulty levels only lean could save your ass (in single player)

trying to appeal to the largest audience ? hum I don't know
because some things just don't make sense
when you can rely on already done multiplayer code why not leave it as an option, instead of forcing everyone on the same P2P thingy
the power of choice can broaden said audience ...

I think MW2 is rather some sort of test, to see how things goes and again another try at limiting pirates :roll:

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 02:53 

no lean ? :shock:
at the highest difficulty levels only lean could save your ass (in single player)

I beat it on veteran and never leaned once... I remapped "e" to the use key, actually.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 11:14 

[quote]I dismiss them because having graphical controls and settings to tweak them, along with the ability to use the keyboard and mouse, are standard features found in all FPS games to date. I don't factor that in when comparing the two versions.

Well, since those differences are of epic importance to most PC gamers, and in fact define the PC platform along with open-system development, I wouldn't toss them aside in a comparison. It reminds me of sites like gametrailers that do console vs. PC graphics comparisons, but for fairness sake set the PC version at 720p with no AA... what is that supposed to prove? The reason PC graphics are better is because you are not stuck at that res.

The point is this all started because you said something like "there is no reason to get the PC version now" and I am saying those, right there, are the reasons.

MW2 being rendered at a low resolution is what the developers decided upon. But that matters little because we all know the PC version will render at many times the size of what the 360 can do. Is it worth spending part of US$60 for it? Is it also worth spending that much just so I can tweak the game's graphical settings and use keyboard & mouse? That's an expensive investment just to have two or three things that makes the PC port superior to the 360.

Both versions cost $60 and the PC version has better controls and better graphics... that is my only point. If you are going to buy one, and are a PC gamer, there is no reason at all to get it on Xbox and several reasons to get it on PC. Again, that is my only point... I was replying to your statement there is no reason to get the PC version.

I do not feel MW2 should be purchased no matter the reason, be it on PC or 360.

As a singleplayer gamer who enjoys coop now and then but never competitive multi there are a TON of reasons to get Modern Wardare 2, and I plan to do so. The only thing they have said that impacts me is the lack of lean, but honestly I never used it in CoD anyway, as the game is not tactical at all, so I don't care about that either.

I do not feel anyone should risk spending US$60 on a game developed by a company who back-stab the very community that put them on the map. And if there's a bug found in the game? One has to wonder just how long IW will bother to support it.

They're not back-stabbing you, they are trying to appeal to their largest base of customers, which is what any business will do. The nature of success is that is changes your business model as you create on higher and higher levels of customer base. As I said in another thread, the niche gaming experience you want with shooters, and I want with RPGs, is not going to be provided by large corporation game making machines anymore... it just isn't. Luckily on PC you have other options, if you look for them... move away from the heavy marketing and toward the communities of people like you and what they are making or suggesting.

You are too stubborn to admit that we are getting the pointy end of the stick, and IW are seeing if we will bend over and take it. If we take it, that's the ball game, and that's all we're going to get till we start thinking about where we spend our money. Do it, if that's all you need or want to satisfy your desires.

Personally I will not hand over my money when their previous product is superior. Why should I pay to have my options removed just so I can move on to "the next best thing".

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 12:12 

You are too stubborn to admit that we are getting the pointy end of the stick, and IW are seeing if we will bend over and take it. If we take it, that's the ball game, and that's all we're going to get till we start thinking about where we spend our money. Do it, if that's all you need or want to satisfy your desires.

Personally I will not hand over my money when their previous product is superior. Why should I pay to have my options removed just so I can move on to "the next best thing".

Wait... what? This debate is all about him saying the PC version is no better than the console version. I am not telling anyone to buy the game, I am saying that was a false statement.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 16:47 

[quote]You are too stubborn to admit that we are getting the pointy end of the stick, and IW are seeing if we will bend over and take it. If we take it, that's the ball game, and that's all we're going to get till we start thinking about where we spend our money. Do it, if that's all you need or want to satisfy your desires.

Wait... what? This debate is all about him saying the PC version is no better than the console version. I am not telling anyone to buy the game, I am saying that was a false statement.

Okay... you're correct then. Semantics and all. :D

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 18:38 

I've witnessed many PC gamers declaring they will boycott the PC version and get the console version instead. What are they thinking this will accomplish?

I wouldn't do that in a million years. The xbox version is $70 CAD here as well, that's the last thing I would do. If I really wanted the game, I'd still buy it for PC, but I'm boycotting the game altogether. If they have the game on sale on Steam for $45CAD or less, I may consider getting it, otherwise, no.