Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 13 Jul 2024, 20:21

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 15:28 

[quote][quote]Uh... http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/6855 ;)

Best gaming monitor I've seen, period.

Seconded. Amazing monitor.

Well call that ... Uh "Thirdeded" lol

I got mine and its flawless, I notice no loss in quality at all going from a "regular" computer monitor to a HDTV as a monitor. 1920x1080 is a great res for 37" but you need about 3ft of distance to see it, closer and you will be turning your head to see things, in about the 1-1.5ft range you may even see the "screen door" effect if you have good eyes and look at some solid colors.

The Westy is actually not a TV its a Monitor, to call it one would be wrong.

Congrats on the new screen Vicious. I still just sit there and stare at this beautiful screen in disbelief. Looks like we both got lucky and got no dead/stuck pixels.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2007, 05:13 
Editors
Editors

Thanks, it definitly exceeded my expectations. It was a great investment. I feel like i have my own personal theater now in my bedroom. 5.1 surround w/ some nice Klipsch speakers/sub and this huge screen.

a 37" @ 4ft is within THX standards for movie theater screen size so it really is like my own personal theater. I cant wait for 300 on HD DVD (if its not too expensive)

Finaly I have somthing nice like all you ritch people :P now I just have to wait 5 years to build a new computer.

PostPosted: 01 May 2007, 23:21 
Editors
Editors

hehe, skip 300 on HD DVD, for some reason or another I thought PC could play a HD DVD with the right drivers and software didnt know you need a drive for it. (I just looked into bluray and HD DVD for the first time the other day) Looks like for 160$ you can get a Xbox 360 HD DVD drive and use it on your computer, but thats still more than id pay.

Down the road im sure there will be like 100$ internal PC drives if HD DVD does go big or maybe even cheaper, also I should have a fully HDCP compliant system (right now my video card is my weak link a 7800GTX is not HDCP) so guess I can enjoy it then.

Honestly my HD trailer of 300 from the apple site doesnt look so great to me... looks like it was a 480p source just with 2x the pixels representing the screen I cant see a shift in quality. Even the fully 1080p Windows Media HD stuff from microsofts site somthing looks off with it.

its not the pixel count, but on both quicktime playing the 300 trailer and windows media player playing the other stuff I can see a very noticable "noise" on any solid color like if you take a picture on a camera with too high of an ISO setting.

PostPosted: 02 May 2007, 22:07 

300 is a not a very good movie use for high def quality. Most CGI heavy movies do not look as good in high def because of the way they tend to soften the scenes. If you really want to see some awesome high def stuff see if there's any HD trailers for Planet Earth, specifically when the great white shark is umping out of the water. It's really amazing to see.

PostPosted: 03 May 2007, 05:24 
Editors
Editors

Well I have the 300 trailer and yea your right the movie has a very soft look to it almost a sureal effect.

However the other video I tested was one of those WM HD (windows media high def) clips from microsofts sight and when it shows a light blue or white you can see noise in it pretty badly. I wonder why. If its the source or if its somthing to do with my PC rendering it.

I have another 1080p clip from apples site of an anime caled paprika and I notice no noise at all on that one, but its an anime so its much easier to render.

I'll have to take a look at the T2 Extreme trailer I have and see if I notice it there. Im curious at this point if its a rendering problem, or just how those clips look.

infact I need to go add my system specs to my sig, everybody can see the power I have in my system after I do that.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 03:02 

How far away are all of you sitting from your screens? I just got a 23" 1080p monitor (Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM) and it's big for me only being 2-2.5 feet away. I'll gladly get 2 more to upgrade my 21" 1680x1050 monitors to 1080p, but 37"... Yikes! I feel like the pixel density on a 23" screen is about as low as I want to go. The same number of pixels on a 37" screen would drive me crazy. Then again, I use a 17" 1920x1200 laptop screen at work, so maybe I'm just used to having everything be crisp and sharp.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2012, 04:24 

My former roommate had a 52" Samsung DLP that I connected my computer to, but there were some severe overscan issues using HDMI and like most televisions, the color was washed out using VGA. I actually had the same issues with my Playstation 3 over HDMI, but oddly enough, my Xbox 360 looked great over VGA on that TV. I sat about 8 feet or so back from it and the image looked really sharp. Then again a DLP is a projection-type display so it's not the same as an LCD. I couldn't see past the bad image quality to enjoy the size with my PC, though. Nowadays I do all of my gaming, console and PC, on my 24" monitor about 2 feet back. I'm wary about LCD TVs these days because my experience with input lag using them has been pretty bad.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2012, 07:21 

heh, this was a hell of a thread revival

Ive had a PC hooked up in my living room as long as i had a tv that could interface.
I had a tube style flat faced Zenith 32" back in 05 that had a DVI port on the back.
Major overscan issues on those old sets! Luckily Nvidia released a overscan compensator in the NV control panel.
ATI didnt have a solution for quite some time, but eventually jumped on and had something similar. But ATI's was always much more finicky. Honestly back in 05-06 is when i was doing this alot and i had so many issues with ati i ended up switching my main rig to nvidia just cause it worked better and ive never had my main rig on ATI (amd) since.

Since over scan isnt as big of an issue with the new widescreens its actually not as easy to find these days, but it does still exist. the AMD solution is idiotic, you have right click on a monitor in the setting which can give you a extra menu you never even knew was there untill you right clicked on it, i actually couldnt find it, thank god for google.:P but from there you can do overscan correction. nvidia actually gets a overscan section right in the control panel if you plug in a tv that the drivers dont auto-detect (the amd overscan setting i did last year, havnt checked since to see if its easier to find)

i belive Both amd and nvidia only have the overscan options available when you plug in a tv, they are not even available otherwise.

i have slight delay issues on my samsung 46" lcd, its not noticable in any game really. only time i notice is playing Frets of Fire since its a guitar hero clone you notice a minor handfull of millisecond delay moreso. But even racing games and such are fine, and no ghosting. I do have a samsung 6 series though, its a few up from bottom tier, so the specs are pretty good.

so basically, i think gaming on a tv is pretty awesome with minor faults. of course 1920x1080 isnt a lot of pixel coverage for a large screen since we have 22"s that can do that res, but as long as your not on top of it, still looks pretty decent

Screw gaming on an HDTV though.. i want to game on one of these:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2084331/New-Years-high-resolution-LG-unveils-Ultra-HD-TV--new-type-hi-def-pictures-sharp-IMAX.html

soon enough well have "ultra" HD and the tvs will look as sharp as our monitors!

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2012, 09:08 

I've been gaming on my Sony LCD 1080p full HD 40" TV and the experience is better than on my pc monitor which older smaller and has less resolution (obviously) but i was at a friends place where i happened to play COD on his apple display and it felt a lot crisper.....i'll check my tv settings for lower config if i still feel the difference i'm getting apple display.....

stick games shooting,stick online game, stick figure games

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2012, 15:35 

well i was using an lg 27" hd tv for my pc before i went to the triple monitor setup
and have to say i did really like it
only a little thing that annoid me was the fact that i had to put it on hdmi mode every time i turned pc on
as a normal monitor would work just by pressing the on button

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next