Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 10:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: 27 Aug 2007, 16:02 
Editors
Editors

Thanks buddy ... :D

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2007, 16:14 

I just want to remind people one thing that I brought up in another thread. (After much discussion, I am under the belief that it still holds true).

Just because a game is "Vert-" doesn't necessarily mean WS is "broke".

You have to examine it on a game-by-game basis.

What do I mean? When they go the "Vert-/Vert+" route, they have two choices. Make WS work appropriately and "break" 4:3, OR make 4:3 work appropriately and break WS.

It looks like Bioshock went with the second, as 4:3 has the more tolerable FOV.

It's then possible that the other games (MOHA, Gears, etc) went the other route. Basically WS is "fine", and 4:3 has a zoomed out FOV. Unfortunately I'm not someone sensitive enough to be able to make that determination myself, but I figured it is worth pointing out.

From the initial discussions about Bioshock, it was not simply the Vert- that was the problem, BUT that 4:3 had a "good/appropriate" FOV and the Vert- to WS changed it into something uncomfortable/inappropriate.

Again, based on past discussion, I believe the above is accurate. (I of course am human, and could be misunderstanding things. ;) )

So just because other games have Vert- doesn't necessarily mean that their WS is of the messed up Bioshock kind.

Aggies

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2007, 16:23 
Editors
Editors

... So just because other games have Vert- doesn't necessarily mean that their WS is of the messed up Bioshock kind....
... it does ... if it is vert- and the game devs don't put it right ... :wink:

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2007, 16:59 

Hmmm, having some digi cam troubles at the moment.

Hopefully wont be to long until I have the pics up...

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2007, 18:17 
Insiders
Insiders

Horz+ keeps the game playable on all wide formats (even 3:1 triplehead), that's why we consider it to be the only real default. Devs should use Horz+, set a sane FOV for 5:4 aspect, then expand horziontally as needed. Everyone is catered to then (all aspects remain playable), instead of throwing dual and triplehead users out to the wolves.

There may be no real widescreen, but there is a real sane default :)

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2007, 21:25 

[quote]... So just because other games have Vert- doesn't necessarily mean that their WS is of the messed up Bioshock kind....
... it does ... if it is vert- and the game devs don't put it right ... :wink:
I do think we need to think about this a bit more though. Our stance on vert- being wrong is that games were developed in 4:3 and that the amount of visible vertical space at 4:3 is what the developers intended. However, I think now we well and truly do have games being developed in widescreen as the intention and really it's 4:3 users that are getting the incorrect amount of vertical space.

The real problem with Bioshock, is that regardless of whether or not they specifically chose that FOV for widescreen, it was just too low. In hindsight I think we should have focused on that more than that (and the fact that it wasn't editable), rather trying to say their widescreen implementation was wrong; there probably would have been a lot less conflict over the issue.

Now let me clarify that I 100% agree that hor+, and using different FOVs based on the aspect to keep the vertical space constant, is the correct widescreen implementation. What I'm saying is that we can longer automatically make the assumption that if a game is vert-, it's the widescreen FOV that is wrong -- it may well be that the 4:3 implementation is wrong and that they're getting too much vertical space. E.g. I know Gabbo made it a joke, but these days it could really be a matter of vert+, which would be an incorrect 4:3 implementation (with hor- being the correct 4:3 implementation).

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2007, 13:23 

Here we go guys...

Gears of War over VGA.

16:9 1920x1080(1080p)

4:3 640x480(480p)

This was the exact same spot, I didn't move or look around. I just seems the camera in-game is a little different at that point. Its looking more downward in the 4:3 shot.

In the next two shots you can see the in-game camera was almost exactly the same. It slightly bobs.

16:9 1920x1080(1080p)

4:3 640x480(480p)

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2007, 13:29 
Editors
Editors

Great stuff Apple ... !
We have to let Epic know we are not happy about this ... widescreen vert- thing ...
Please post your displeasure ... (as I say in a civil manor please) ...

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?p=24977926&posted=1#post24977926

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2007, 13:33 
Editors
Editors

What I'm saying is that we can longer automatically make the assumption that if a game is vert-, it's the widescreen FOV that is wrong -- ...
We can if it feels wrong in widescreen ... as it does in Bioshock and Medal Of Honor: Airborne ... and many others.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2007, 14:09 

I don't think you could have set it up properly ... everything is the same distance for me using the hack ...
Don't think so, I followed the readme and tried diferent settings. It might be that the video card I'm using causes it to scale differently. I have an old X800XT.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next