Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 10 Aug 2024, 22:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2008, 13:00 
Editors
Editors

I'd only be hazarding a guess, but I reckon that it won't be a requirement to be online. The reviewer said they were blank for him because he was playing it pre-release, the servers weren't switched on yet, so he has no idea how invasive they'll be or distracting.

As GeneralAdmission says though; finding out the IP of their servers and adding it to your hosts file would be the best idea.

So is the character-dying-from-malaria feature still in?

There was no word on that at all, and it seems like a pretty big feature if it did exist, so I doubt it just wouldn't be mentioned.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2008, 17:25 
Editors
Editors

Glad to hear the malaria got dumped (if PCG didn't mention it and it's still in the game, then the reviewer deserves a FAIL and 40 lashes with a wet noodle).

Still can't find any definitive info on the DRM...fingers are crossed that Ubisoft has been watching EA's cock-ups.

I've had my hosts file configured for awhile, 'just in case'. FYI, my hosts file is here, C:WINDOWSsystem32driversetchosts.

Simply open the Hosts file using Notepad. If you don't know where it is on your PC, just use the Windows search function (Start -> Search) and have it look in hidden and system files for "hosts". Once you have the file open, simply add these lines to your hosts file:

127.0.0.1 madserver.net
127.0.0.1 ad.madserver.net
127.0.0.1 imp.madserver.net
127.0.0.1 media.madserver.net

After the "localhost" line. This "blackholes" the Massive adservers, and when the AdClient attempts to make outbound contact to either those servers or IP's, it gets looped back to the PC itself and the connection dies. Alternately, if you have a router with configurable IP routing, you could also block access to their servers from there. -SOURCE

...and you're done.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2008, 18:29 
Editors
Editors

SecuROM in the works.

Details not certain, yet.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2008, 18:42 

We'll know that answer with certainty in no time (8 days and counting).

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2008, 01:37 
Editors
Editors

Ubisoft is playing close to the vest, but their hand is slipping:

French FC2 sales page:
http://shop.ubi.com/Prod_ExtDesc.asp?catalogid=750&id=35

at bottom of page:
Ce jeu vidéo est protégé par le logiciel SecuROM pour la gestion des droits numériques. Ce logiciel installe sur l'ordinateur de l'utilisateur des modules supplémentaires nécessaires pour la protection
de copie et limite le nombre d'installations possibles pour le jeu. Une connexion à Internet sera nécessaire au cours de l'installation et/ou de la première exécution pour déverrouiller le jeu.

babelfish translation:
This video game is protected by the SecuROM software for management from the digital rights. This software installs on l' computer of l' user of the additional modules necessary for protection of copy and limit the d' number; possible installations for the play. A connection to Internet will be necessary during l' installation and/or of the first execution to unbolt the play.

Also, Blue from Bluesnews has dropped the hint that Ubisoft is trying to squelch the DRM information and he has a scoop on the subject that will be forthcoming.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2008, 02:08 
Insiders
Insiders

Cheesey ... VERY cheesey.

Having that crap is one thing, but trying to avoid telling customers about it is a very cheap and underhanded move.

I guess i'll be holding my pre-order until a crack comes out.

spanks for the info. THen again, mayvbe (though doubtful) that's jsut for the EU release. Unless you also included faux french (ie. Quebecois) as real french.
|
/ I dunno, i don't think i'm hip enough to survive a 'roasting'. damned "qc".

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2008, 02:38 

French:
Ce jeu vidéo est protégé par le logiciel SecuROM pour la gestion des droits numériques. Ce logiciel installe sur l'ordinateur de l'utilisateur des modules supplémentaires nécessaires pour la protection
de copie et limite le nombre d'installations possibles pour le jeu. Une connexion à Internet sera nécessaire au cours de l'installation et/ou de la première exécution pour déverrouiller le jeu.

English:
This video game is protected by SecuROM software for managing digital rights. This software installs some additionnal modules on the users computer that are necessary to protect against copies and to limit the number of game reinstallats possible. An internet connection is required during installations and/or at the first execution to unlock the game.

Quebec:
Ce jeu d'imbeciles est infecte par securom drm pour la protection des egos de ses publicateurs. Ce pouriciel infecte l'ordinateur du poisson avec des modules inutiles et dommageant pour donner quelques minutes de defi au crackers. Une connection a internet est requise pour que le pouriciel communique avec la maison mere a quel point il est inefficace.

Insult qc again, and you'll be roasted tenfold.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2008, 02:40 

Guess I won't buy this one either.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2008, 05:05 
Editors
Editors

Apparently Ubisoft decided to come clean quick:
official post
Some DRM points that will hopefully answer some of your questions and will clarify some misunderstandings about our DRM and SecuROM:

- You have 5 activations on 3 separate PCs.

- Uninstalling the game “refundsâ€

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2008, 05:09 

Some DRM points that will hopefully answer some of your questions and will clarify some misunderstandings about our DRM and SecuROM:

- You have 5 activations on 3 separate PCs.

- Uninstalling the game “refundsâ€

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next