Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Oct 2024, 02:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mass Effect 2
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 14:12 
Editors
Editors

Fixed some weird lock-up/crashing issue I was having by deleting the config files.

All-in-all, I think I preferred ME1 so far - I'm not loving the whole Cerberus thing. That and Miranda and Jacob both make me want to punch them in the face... and that psychologist chick on the Normandy. :x

POTENTIAL SPOILER BELOW

Not keen on the "rebuilt, with added extras" - makes me wonder what 'extras' there are that I've not been told about...

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 19:16 

I have been killed by getting stuck on top of boxes more than I have by hostiles.

The fov and/or camera distance is smaller than ME1.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 22:52 

I just finished up ME1, so I have a finished save ready for ME2, which I'm STILL waiting for, along with most other European gamers who also ordered the Collector's Edition. :(

You guys should stop having fun with ME2, it's not fair! :cry:

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 23:23 
Insiders
Insiders

I would have preferred if they had both "ammo" systems in the game. Cooldown and Heatsink. There would be a few choices of guns that cooldown like ME1, and a few that use Thermal Clips like ME2 does.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 00:47 
Administrators
Administrators

I would of preferred it if they hadn't messed with the GUI and the control system, I mean no crouch, period!? The planet scanning system to get upgrades its annoying, and slow, so I guess I prefer the equipment system in ME1 as well. I do like there idea of ammo, although there was nothing wrong with the overheat system from ME1. I like the new hacking and bypassing systems, I like the new galactic map system, I can deal with the watered down skills system.

But my biggest complaint is probably the removal of ME1 health system, what is the obsession with using Halo style health system, since when was a tangible health bar a bad thing. At least with a health bar that doesn't auto regenerate while cowering behind cover forces you to be allot more careful. At least in ME1 I used the medi-gel I picked up.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 18:14 
Editors
Editors

I would of preferred it if they hadn't messed with the GUI and the control system, I mean no crouch, period!? The planet scanning system to get upgrades its annoying, and slow, so I guess I prefer the equipment system in ME1 as well. I do like there idea of ammo, although there was nothing wrong with the overheat system from ME1. I like the new hacking and bypassing systems, I like the new galactic map system, I can deal with the watered down skills system.

But my biggest complaint is probably the removal of ME1 health system, what is the obsession with using Halo style health system, since when was a tangible health bar a bad thing. At least with a health bar that doesn't auto regenerate while cowering behind cover forces you to be allot more careful. At least in ME1 I used the medi-gel I picked up.

Now I've played it a lot further...

Like:
More characters.
Hacking/bypass system.

Dislike:
Ammo system.
Crappy skills.
Lack of skills.
No crouch.
Obsession with cover (Gears of War was not this amazing thing that needs to be copied all the time... it was merely 'good' (for a console).)
Auto-regen health.
Health system.
Planet scanning (boring, slow).
Equipment system.
Upgrade system.

...and yet, I like this game. Looking at the list of dislikes, you'd think I hated it! I mean, that's most of what the game is (superficially), listed under 'dislikes'.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2010, 00:23 

[quote]...

I agree with a lot of your points. I'm about 40 hours into it and haven't finished the game yet. It looks like I still have quite a bit more to go. I'd estimate another 10-20 hours left. I tend to take a lot longer than most people :p With that said, I'm really disappointed in the removal of RPG elements from ME1. I'll also list my likes and disklikes so far:

New camera and lighting system - much more cinematic!
New conversation interrupt system
Improved textures
Runs well and scales properly on my Portrait Eyefinity setup
Rebalanced classes so that every class is now useful
Rebalanced powers
Great story (had some intense/emotional moments, for example without spoiling anything, Mordin's and Samara's loyalty quests)
Interesting characters

Dislikes
No more equipment customization, one of the most enjoyable part of ME1, IMHO. This is my biggest disappointment.
Addition of thermal clips
Missions feels too episodic and disconnected, especially with the mission summary at the end
Too much covering
Planet scanning - it'll bore you to tears.
Removal of the Mako

Overall, I'm enjoying the game a lot. I would say ME2 is no longer a RPG, but a story driven shooter. I don't think it's better than ME1. Instead of moving a step forward, it moves a step sideways. But given that ME1 is one of my favorite games, that means ME2 is still very good! :)

As an aside, I tried various party configurations, but ended up with the exact same party as what's on the game cover :lol: It's me as a Vanguard, with Reave as my Advanced Training ability. Miranda, and Thane.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2010, 00:53 
Insiders
Insiders

No crouch? That's ...weird. And stupid, hearing about how much this game focuses on shooting.

But I'm still impatiently waiting for a EF patch. Get moving, Bioware.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2010, 01:32 

No crouch? That's ...weird. And stupid, hearing about how much this game focuses on shooting.

Well, there is no crouch key. But if you stand next a low cover and hit the cover key, you will crouch behind it.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2010, 03:33 

[quote]No crouch? That's ...weird. And stupid, hearing about how much this game focuses on shooting.

Well, there is no crouch key. But if you stand next a low cover and hit the cover key, you will crouch behind it.
too bad about crouching ...
I liked the fact that you could gain more precision at the expense of mobility...

that cover key might come in handy though since the automatic cover mode of ME1 was nice but not always perfect (sometimes if you visually scanned the area for enemies you would automatically come out of cover because your aim was too far from the object, however it was pretty minor and the game wasn't that hard anyway ... )

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next