Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 09:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 81  Next
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 20:27 

Re: Greylantern

Agreed. Remember I mentioned that this might not be the case for Bioshock, as I'm personally not qualified to tell :)

However am I safe to assume that - given the implementation of 4:3 that bioshock uses (zooming out until WS, WS + vertical, or whatever you want to call it) - only one (WS or 4:3) can have the proper field of view (so it feels right, doesn't induce nausea etc)?

If the above is true (that if you do it that way, only one can be "right", the other must be "bad") then the whole point of my last post is that it is possible to design it in such a way that the WS setup feels "right", and the 4:3 is unnatural.

Again I myself can't really tell, but based on your and other's experiences it looks like that they choose 4:3 to "feel right" and WS to be "off"?

I'm still pretty new to WS gaming, having only had my first WS display for about a month now. But I do find the whole thing rather interesting :)

Aggies

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 20:28 

I am soooo fed up with this whole thing .... and I no longer care ... I with Racer_S's help have a fix to play in TripleHead ... that's what matters to me ... :mrgreen:

Yeah. I feel ya.

My head hurts from arguing this topic from all possible angles. I was never THAT upset in the first place. Remember the days where games didn't support widescreen resolutions at all and we dealt with the ol' stretch-factor?

Since the Racer_S solution exists, it's almost a non-factor. I am simply still posting in this thread because I really think I can hit the 900 post mark in this thread alone!

Watch out... I JUST may get there!

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 20:32 
Editors
Editors

Watch out... I JUST may get there!
Go for broke, man! 8)

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 20:36 

I ask you this..what is the the ratio of widescreen to 4:# in their offices...if they say they developed it in widescreen:

http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture/irrationalvisit1.html

Wow.

That's a whole bunch of 4:3 monitors. It's almost like a time machine going way back to the year 2000.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 20:39 

Interestingly, Bioshock has another issue - whether disc or Steam, it can only be activated twice. Seems even the Steam version has SecuROM protection build in. Man, do 2K Games not trust us, or what? (Google 'bioshock activation' for more links than I care to count...)

What if you have to re-install windows more than twice? It won't activate and therefore it won't work?? What if people get a virus, or windows stops working...? Explain what you mean plleassse I'm already regretting my purchase enough as it is...

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 20:42 

Just registered to say thanks to Racer_S and Paddy and all the people at WSGF. I am not yet a WS user but plan to be very soon.

I have tried Racer_S's bisockdFOV and ran the the game at 1680x1050 and ajusted the FOV's with the utility and i have to say it works like a charm.

Great Work. :bowdown

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 20:46 

Good job guys, im gonna test it when i go home. Anyone got this to work with dx10 or with. I play with controller on PC so im gonna try it before i put on the controller settings.. If anyone can test it let me know.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 20:50 
Editors
Editors

What if you have to re-install windows more than twice? It won't activate and therefore it won't work?? What if people get a virus, or windows stops working...? Explain what you mean plleassse I'm already regretting my purchase enough as it is...

It means precisely what it says: the SecuROM activation only allows you two installations.

I'm seeing conflicting info on various forums (Google is your friend!) about whether or not uninstalling it on one system (and allowing the uninstall program to talk back to the SecuROM activation server) allows it to be installed on a 'third' after one of the two installs is removed.

Of course, if your HDD dies, or you get a virus or whatever, and you don't uninstall Bioshock first, that's one of your activations up shit creek without a paddle.

And Steam users have the joy of both Steam anti-piracy, and SecuROM, too...

And Gabbo, yeah, you're absolutely right - for a place that does all their work on widescreens, they don't seem to have a great number of them, now do they? :roll:

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 20:52 
Editors
Editors

Instead of cropping the FOV for 4:3 displays and making all 4:3 owners mad in doing so, we slightly extended the vertical FOV for standard def mode: we never wanted to have black bars on people’s displays. (This way, everybody is happy…) This does mean that people playing on a standard def display see slightly more vertical space, but, this does not significantly affect the game-play experience and, we felt that it best served our goal of keeping the game experience as close as possible to the original design and art vision on both types of displays. Reports of the widescreen FOV being a crop of the 4:3 FOV are completely false.

http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture/home.html

Translation:

"We made the game in widescreen resolution, while keeping the horizontal FOV optimally to 4:3(FOV=75). Then we increased vertical FOV for 4:3 users, so that they would not get black bars. The result:
The same as if the game were made in 4:3 and then cropped vertically when widescreen resolution is chosen.
Now we can claim widescreen support, even though TRUE widescreen support means that going from 16:9/16:10 would actually crop the image horizontally, since the widescreen ratio itself dictates horizontal plus. " :roll:

For us widescreen gamers, this means that if you choose a widescreen resolution of 1920x1200, you see less then if you choose a 4:3 resolution of 1600x1200. Even though the vertical resolution is identical. And they call this "widescreen support"?????

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2007, 20:57 
Editors
Editors

And they call this "widescreen support"?????

Yeah, they do.

Funny, ain't it? :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 81  Next