Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 03:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 81  Next
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2007, 00:40 

Hi guys, just registered to say thanks for bringing the issue up. I've just spent the last 30-45 minutes or so looking at the 'mainstream' sites reporting this and am amazed at the idiocy of some (well the mass majority!) of the comments of people who don't seem to 'get' widescreen in relation to Games and Movies/TV. Some are convinced that it's normal to lose some of the image instead of gaining.

Scary, but it reflects that survey the other week about people not knowing about HD in there consoles etc.

Its just a shame you can't come out with a fix for the 360 version! I'm stuck with a X850XT - so no bioshock PC for me.

:x

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2007, 00:41 

- BioShock was primarily developed and tuned for widescreen mode. Artists and designers worked with widescreen displays and chose a field of view (FOV) that best reflected their intentions with respect to the way the world is perceived, the perceived speed of movement of the player relative to the world and the amount of the world they wanted to be viewed for the best game-play experience. We went through dozens of iterations and finally settled upon a widescreen aspect ratio that best suited the gameplay experience.

It must have taken them all of 3 seconds 'cause the same issue has plagued SWAT4 for 2.5 years:

Hardly surprising that it's using a new iteration of the same basic engine? And from a game that had to have widescreen hacked in?

I don't buy it.

It was understandable, if annoying, when SWAT4 came out because widescreen monitors were rare. It was almost understandable when the expansion came out because it was based on the same basic game. A third time? I don't think so.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2007, 00:55 

they missspelled WSGF!

WGF...haha...oh well.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2007, 01:01 

aw, when i try loading it into DX9 mode it doesn't work properly. It's like the textures don't want to load for the interactive objects. Tables and other objects look like they're using old school gouraud shading...i'd take a screenshot if my screenshot key was working...

I get EXACTLY the same Error! Horrible isn't it? I've been watching the 2K forums and all hell is breaking loose about the activation method, it seems you have to unistall the game if you want your activation credit back, which means if you get a virus, if your hard drive crashes or if you re-install windows... you're screwed.

Think I might return my copy when it arrives, I can't take this it's making me feel ill!

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2007, 01:03 

Uh guys, I check several locations and took some sample shots in DX9 and DX10 and I can't find a single difference. I made sure I was running in DX9 mode by going into options and making sure the DirectX 10 texture option was greyed out. Took the pics by using a temporary save slot and taking the pic, reloading in DX9 mode and taking the pic right away to ensure the same angle and everything. Also went to a place that's semi-flooded to take pics of the supposed DX10 water effect, but it looked the same to me.

I'm running it at 1920x1200 and using FRAPS to take the shots. Anyone who's more knowledgeable about BioShock's DX10 want to let me know a good spot to take comparison shots? I am currently in the Medical Ward, but also have saves near the beginning of the game.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2007, 01:08 

To preface, please do not flame me for this question/post. I've been reading this forum, I've played the game (on a 62" hdtv with xbox 360) and I've read 2k's statement.

It seems the the big complaint is that for many people the FOV is too small for their tastes, while the secondary complaint is that the 16:9 image is "cropped" from the 4:3 image (cropped in quotes as it is currently a question of semantics).

Now my question is: If the FOV were something that the majority of widescreen users found appropriate (not changed to, but had originally been). BUT the 4:3 version still maintained the same FOV using added horizontal space instead of letterboxing, would we still be having this argument?

The reason I ask is because I have seen this very question asked and ignored in this thread before 2k made their statement about the issue.

I basically want to know is: Do the members of this forum feel that Widescreen HAS to have a wider FOV for games than 4:3 in every case? And if so, why?

(I saw one post respond to a question about if the 4:3 were letterboxed instead of having "vert+" and the response was that the fov was still "wrong" for them, so also let me ask if the fov were "right" and the 4:3 were letterboxed instead of "vert+" would we still be having this argument?)

I hope my post came off semi-intelligent and not as a flame as I do not intend it to be, I just want to find out what this argument truly boils down to. If you wish to know my personal opinion it is that the developers, much like a movie director, are entitled to their creative vision and if they say they intended the fov to be this way I will take them at their word and enjoy the game as they delivered it. (However I am curious to try the fov hack after I complete the game and see how the experience differs for better or worse)

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2007, 01:13 

This is great. Thanks but I have a silly question. What if you don't have a numpad. I use a Nuvio Edge and no numpad :)

Thanks
Robert

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2007, 01:14 

Uh guys, I check several locations and took some sample shots in DX9 and DX10 and I can't find a single difference.

Hi kilmar, I understand that it's not happening on every system, so you are lucky, trust me its like playing the game with everything set to LOW DETAIL...

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2007, 01:14 

Uh guys, I check several locations and took some sample shots in DX9 and DX10 and I can't find a single difference.

Quick, silence him before he reveals the secret!

LOL, maybe some of the graphics gurus here can show some impressive DX9 vs DX10 screenshots, but I have yet to see a real eye candy improvement in DX10 compared to DX9. IMO it's mostly hype with some useful programming features that you don't actually see.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2007, 01:18 

[quote]Uh guys, I check several locations and took some sample shots in DX9 and DX10 and I can't find a single difference.

Quick, silence him before he reveals the secret!

LOL, maybe some of the graphics gurus here can show some impressive DX9 vs DX10 screenshots, but I have yet to see a real eye candy improvement in DX10 compared to DX9. IMO it's mostly hype with some useful programming features that you don't actually see.

There's a bit of difference, I think. But Bioshock hardly uses DX10.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 81  Next