Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 04:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2006, 15:41 

Yeah, the ambush was amazing!
I dont remember exactly what i had covering the road, but i didnt loose any of my men. One vehicle after another drove into the LOS of whatever i had covering the road and BOOM!

Snipers are really awesome, i forget what mission im doing now, but hes proving invaluable.
Maube a little overpowered though, i put one in a building and he took out at least 4 squads that were spawning on a road close to were he was.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2006, 16:18 

In the Carentan mission, I had 4 snipers covering the church and they were pretty much all I needed until the ol' Kraut tanks came rolling in. I also earnt myself the Sharpshooter (or something like that) bade of honour! :lol:

I love the satchel charges in the buildings to dig out the Axis, I have had a number of buildings collapse with 1 satchel charge!

My favourite are the Mortars though, they lay some serious smackdown! :shock:

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2006, 16:22 
Editors
Editors

Yeah, both mortars and snipers are awesome. Snipers to clear out building and mortars to supress the enemy to prevent them from counter attack. Really handy you can position them behind buildings where they cant be attacked. Makes it easier to devend them with normal infantry and at the same time bring some massive firepower to the krauts. In Carantan for example this is a really handy strategy.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2006, 07:55 
Editors
Editors

Okay then, I got some serious ass whoopin' yesterday. :lol:
Tip for the dudes who didn't start this game yet: don't get gready!
I was trying to get as many control points at the same time thus my forces where spread a little thin resulting in me being blown of the map. :( :lol:
Got to think of a different strategy next time. :D

Also, don't forget mortar teams, a shitload of them. They are absolutelly necessary.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2006, 10:28 

I rarely ever see Mortars on Relic Online, mostly because they're just fodder for snipers.

In the singleplayer campign though, they are indeed extremely effective. The AI doesn't run it's infantry around as efficiently as some players online do.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2006, 13:13 

Mortars, im discorvering, can prove invaluable as infantry.
If you havent gotten around to building a motor pool, they provide decent anti-vehicle support, so long as your troops can stay alive long enough to keep what ever is attacking you in place.
And then the ability to lob rounds over buildings, as a barage works great for clearing out possible strong points.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2006, 14:32 
Editors
Editors

Trouble i find about mortar teams, is that if you've got a veteran squad, by the time the mortar team have sat down, positioned it on the floor and fired it into the air, the unit or building or whatever has already been destroyed by my other squads!

They're so damn slow! ;p

But otherwise, ace game, not what i was expecting. All the missions are like what you'd see in FPS games, but you play em in RTS. Much better than jus "your base is here, theirs is there, do somit about it".

Thumbs up from me, a generally hardcore FPS only gamer. What's strategy?

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2006, 15:15 

I tend to prefer a slow advance and therefore Mortar teams fit right into my style of play. MG and Mortar are always the support of my advancing squads. They cover the fall back position and are the main defense for critical points.

I played through the second part of Carentan last night. What a crazy fire fight that was! I held the bridges for quite awhile but the air strikes just wiped me out. I had actually fallen back before the scripting called for it :P

It worked a bit better as I don't think I would have had the defensive setup I did had I had retreated when they wanted me to. So when they gave the official "fall back" I already had bunkers and mines all around the Church area. Defending from there was very easy until the armor support arrived.

And I agree eZ, this game sure doesn't play like your typical RTS. I find the gun battles very enjoyable and frantic, like you would find in an FPS. That was one of the things that turned me off to Age 3. Sometimes you just had lines of guys standing there firing at one another... These guys run for cover, dive out of the way, shout for help. Very immersive for an RTS. As I stated before I LOVE the fact that you actually get to utilize what you've earned. Like Capturing Carentan and then being forced to defend it. Nice touches like that make the game so much more enjoyable.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2006, 08:14 
Editors
Editors

Woohoo, i made it :D. And i only lost one Sherman and two Greyhounds.
Really handy to defend control points is placing a sniper nearby. They only cost 1 command point and are extremelly effective against infantry.
Then you can focus completelly at taking over more command points with your armored vehicles. :P

Btw, anyone tried the demolitions skill from the engineers on an enemy building. Now THAT'S an explosion :shock:

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2006, 11:30 
Editors
Editors

[quote]Shows how good I am at the moment, I didn't know you could pause it to issue commands!

Yeah, really handy in "overkrauted" situations :lol:

haha i've only just read the whole thread. that's just terrible ctrlsteef, you should be ashamed :P :lol:

And errr, what is the pause command lol!?

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next