Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 10 Aug 2024, 22:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2008, 18:24 
Editors
Editors

Something that I've said in the past:

You buy a book, resell it. You have done nothing wrong.

You buy a game, resell it. Your a thieve.

That's exactly how publishers see it. It is truly amazing what the game/software industry gets away with, simply because they can. If they tried some of their anti-consumer and anti-customer practices in any other industry, they'd get lynched.

Some good news is that US courts don't always play along. Awhile back Autodesk sued an ebay seller for reselling authentic, boxed copies of their software, arguing that the EULA specifically prohibited a license transfer. The judge slapped Autodesk with the First Sale doctrine and gave the ebay seller a giant green light to resell as much as he wanted.

Looks like there's no need to speculate anymore, EA's CEO is openly lusting after subscription models:
“There are different ways to do DRM; the most successful is what WoW does. They just charge you by the month,â€

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2008, 18:41 

its similar to music drm

which just makes me post an xkcd

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2008, 18:48 

I've renamed the thread title to be more accurate.

Forums mods, edit as you see fit.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2008, 21:44 
Editors
Editors

I download most of my games, yet I've just pre-ordered Left4Dead today almost as soon as it became available. Why? Forget DRM, I don't care. If i buy a game I'm gonna get a crack for it anyway so I don't have to shift disks around my desk.
I bought L4D beacuse I know that they have been working on it for some time, and pushing back the release date to make sure it's exactly how they want it, and exactly as good as it should be. Not pushing it out to get the cash they need for the next Quarter.
I know that Valve will continue to support the game frequently with updates. Not wait 3 months then release a single patch fixing a minor amount of issues then move onto the next instalment.
I know that Valve will listen to the community and implement ideas and feedback, not ignore posts on their forums and leave their customers in the dark.
I know that I will ALWAYS be able to play this game and servers for it will never disappear.

I also know this sounds like a right good bum licking for valve, but I can't think of another company which all these statements are true about. The point I'm trying to make is I'm not all that bothered about the DRM itself, seeing as it doesn't actually work, but the principles behind it's implementation. Get all the cash, screw all the customers.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2008, 23:32 
Insiders
Insiders

Okay, nothing to do with DRM, but some FC2 benchmarking info. Sounds liek those recommended specs aren't so far off, after all. (unlike Clear Sky)

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,663817/Reviews/Far_Cry_2_GPU_and_CPU_benchmarks/?page=1

"All-clear: You don't need a high-end PC to run Far Cry 2 at playable framerates - even the "Ultra High” Settings are far from the brutal system requirements Crysis imposes. Even with a Core 2 Duo E6600 or an Athlon 64 X2 6000+ and a Geforce 9800 GT/8800 GT or a Radeon HD 4850 you can play the highest settings."

I get nice FPS with Crysis so i guess I'm okay for FC2.

EDIT: some PC gameplay videos. Is it me, or does the FOV look a little tight?

http://uk.media.pc.ign.com/media/951/951257/vids_1.html

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2008, 15:34 

Is it me, or does the FOV look a little tight?

Hey mikeh, I agree it does look a little tight... especially when your character runs. ARGG do you think they've gone the usual console way of Vert- ??

I guess we'll find out once it's released.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2008, 15:50 

Is it me, or does the FOV look a little tight?

Lets put it this way I had to stop watching because i was getting a headache. And I get headaches on games that look too zoomed in like Bioshock before the patch.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2008, 19:56 
Insiders
Insiders

Bugger, that is disappointing. I, personally, get 'motion sickness' with that sort of thing...like MOH:AA :cry:

You can chuck me around in a jet but don't give me VERT- !!!!!!!!

::TrueWS

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2008, 23:16 

Bugger, that is disappointing. I, personally, get 'motion sickness' with that sort of thing...like MOH:AA :cry:

You can chuck me around in a jet but don't give me VERT- !!!!!!!!

::TrueWS

Ooooh are you a jet pilot mach1.9 pants? :D

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2008, 23:31 
Insiders
Insiders

No, but my sacred gaming underpants once went Mach 1.9 ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next