Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 04:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 81  Next
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2007, 02:30 

I don't mean to be a dick or anything, and I'm grateful for the fix Racer_S, but is there any chance you could reassign those keys? I happen to be left handed so the numpad controls a lot of my stuff, * is my medpac key, and - is to hack, so every time I hit it the screen distorts. I know it's insignificant, but maybe you could make a lefty version of the patch? Anyways, thanks in advance if you decide to consider this.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2007, 02:43 

I take what I said back. I definitely do have the DX9 bug. I just incinerated a splicer and the body looks like a big chocolate bar with no textures. Sigh.

nevermind dude, we're in the same bathysphere... :)

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2007, 02:53 

Uh guys, I check several locations and took some sample shots in DX9 and DX10 and I can't find a single difference. I made sure I was running in DX9 mode by going into options and making sure the DirectX 10 texture option was greyed out. Took the pics by using a temporary save slot and taking the pic, reloading in DX9 mode and taking the pic right away to ensure the same angle and everything. Also went to a place that's semi-flooded to take pics of the supposed DX10 water effect, but it looked the same to me.

I'm running it at 1920x1200 and using FRAPS to take the shots. Anyone who's more knowledgeable about BioShock's DX10 want to let me know a good spot to take comparison shots? I am currently in the Medical Ward, but also have saves near the beginning of the game.

in my case, it's not a direct x 9 looking like crap compared to 10...it's that there is some kind of problem running the game in dx9 mode...either vista or some other issue...prolly vista.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2007, 02:57 

Racer_S, you are awsome!

I just played the demo with the "proper" FOV and it's so much better now that I don't feel like I'm playing the game with binoculars strapped to my face. I'm buying the game now specifically because there's a solution.

As far as I'm concerned 2K owes you half my purchase, since I wouldn't have bought the game without your hack, but I donated to you in their place. You deserve it man, wish I could give you more.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2007, 03:03 

I just bought the game and was wondering what FOV should I be using @ 1680x1050, or rather what is everyone else running at that res. Thanks.

I found that 16:10 resolutions should set it to:

Width FOV: 0.84
Height FOV: 0.84

This would be true HOR+ based off of a 4:3 ratio.

16:9 users should set it to:
Width FOV: 0.75
Height FOV: 0.75

Comparison screenshots in the detailed report here:
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/#comment-

The last 2 nights all I have done is work on this...

It's time to go play the damn game.

See you sucka's later.

Love,

Gabbo

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2007, 03:18 

http://shadowbane.nrgservers.net/DX10/
http://shadowbane.nrgservers.net/DX9/

here are some screenshots showing what i mean.

DX10

DX9

DX10

DX9

DX10

DX9

edit: i know this isn't the inferiority of DX9 vs DX10, it's just a bug with vista or something to do with the game...prolly something with Vista.

Post subject: Thanks Yoda!
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2007, 03:27 

Thanks Yoda!, I couldn't take a screenshot to show people! That's exactly the bug I get when playing the game in DX9 mode with vista.

Post subject: Re: Thanks Yoda!
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2007, 03:32 

Thanks Yoda!, I couldn't take a screenshot to show people! That's exactly the bug I get when playing the game in DX9 mode with vista.

That looks like a driver issue. Are you guys running the Nvidia beta drivers 163.44? They strongly suggested it for Bioshock.

Post subject: Re: Thanks Yoda!
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2007, 03:32 

[quote]Thanks Yoda!, I couldn't take a screenshot to show people! That's exactly the bug I get when playing the game in DX9 mode with vista.

That looks like a driver issue. Are you guys running the Nvidia beta drivers 163.44? They strongly suggested it for Bioshock.

yup, got the betas up and running. i'm just gonna play the game with the crappy FOV until they release the DX10 fix for it...or 2k patches the game themselves.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2007, 03:35 

Looks identical to me... I'm in a huff now.

I admit that DX10 and DX9 version look basically identical.

The only noticeable difference that I saw was in the shadows. DX10 shadows are smoother and less jaggy.

DX10:

DX9:

Other things that I thought would be improved, like the water effects, look exactly the same in DX9 and DX10.

If this is all I will be sacrificing in order to use the FOV hack... then it's no big deal at all.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 81  Next