Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 11:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2007, 23:05 

seeing as there all 360 games my bet is the 360 cant handle real wide screen
and Bioshock DESPITE the devs saying it wasnt WAS a just another console port

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2007, 23:14 
Editors
Editors

Optimizing for frame rates higher Widescreen resolutions ... maybe ...
It was clearly no "artistic design" ... lol ...

They will never notice I tell you !

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2007, 02:01 

well it would make sense
more on the sides + higher res = more to render and the 360 and other consoles being closed systems only have so much power
in that case i think i would rather have V- then choppy frame rate no?

but on an open system like PC it should be H+ you have the option to lower the res or turn down AA and AF or other settings to make up for that

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2007, 04:21 

If Unreal Tournament 3 is Vert-... Epic is going to get the biggest uproar of there times...

They better be ready for there Forums to crash if it is Vert-... I tell yah... :lol:

The Unreal 3 engine is definately Vert- by default, I believe this came in with GOW.. and now dev's aren't bothering to fix it.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2007, 08:12 
Editors
Editors

Well ... Epic didn't like the thread asking about widescreen and locked it using a lame excuse ... when I asked why it was locked "Flame wars" was the reply ...
I replied ... as this is such an important topic to so many based on the uproar caused by Bioshocks bad FOV implementation why not delete the offending posts or give out warnings to those doing the flame waring ... I got no reply.

There wasn't really any flame wars ... Tamlin had been sarcastic as he says above and he did tell them they could delete his post.
I believe he got no reply too.

So I think Epic will just find a way to just delete/lock/ignore any posts dishing their Widescreen support.
We will of course get the usual anti horz + guys joining in even though it wouldn't make a difference to their 4:3 setups ... you know the old arguments "cheating" ... "why should WS users see more" ... "it was designed that way" .... etc.
As their boards do not allow image posting many will not bother to look at any links which will help to dilute the issue for Epic.

All in all I just feel we will have a fight on our hands if UT III is Vert - ... that fight will give Epic the excuse they would like to remove or lock any posts.

I guess time will tell ...

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2007, 15:40 

Well I did make a thread as you know... so lets see what happens.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2007, 02:53 

I don't know if this is directly related to this discussion, but Silicon Knights is suing Epic over the Unreal 3 engine. These two stories on IGN, August 11, 2006 and July 19, 2007 seem to indicate a fundamental problem with the engine on the 360. While this may mean a general game problem, SK's signature game Eternal Darkness on the Nintendo GameCube was a hor+ widescreen game. Denis Dyack may have our backs on this.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2007, 05:36 

I don't know if this is directly related to this discussion, but Silicon Knights is suing Epic over the Unreal 3 engine. These two stories on IGN, August 11, 2006 and July 19, 2007 seem to indicate a fundamental problem with the engine on the 360. While this may mean a general game problem, SK's signature game Eternal Darkness on the Nintendo GameCube was a hor+ widescreen game. Denis Dyack may have our backs on this.

Can you explain that again about SK's signature?

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2007, 06:07 

I think he just means that Eternal Darkness was their flagship game or the game that put them on the gaming map, much like a wrestler has a "signature" move that he or she is known for.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8