Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 16:06

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 81  Next
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 18:59 

Obviously this game didn't get the QA play testing you'd think it would get...

Unless they really think people would not notice?

Agreed, I cant believe that you cant rebind keys effectivly. To me thats a much bigger issue then the widescreen being vert-. As without rebinding my keys the game is unplayable to me. But with it being vert- its what I would call an inconvenience.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 19:02 
Editors
Editors

Yeah, you aren't gonna get flamed on the WSGF for wanting correct aspect treatment.

...it seems you will everywhere else on the net, though... :roll:

Well, we are "big spending snobs" offcourse that are ment to be flamed offcourse. :wink:

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 19:08 

Ok

Disclaimer: I can not be held liable for any eye injuries sustained from this picture because it looks so blurry

This pictures shows that the menus are actually hor+

Basically this is a key for it

You will see two red bars on the side, that is what widescreen adds to the menu

Then you will see two copies of the words bioshock, an image below it with wings on either side and then a quote at the bottom... The wider version of the text and the picture is from 4:3 the thinner version is from widescreen...

So there isn't any vert- involved though the image changes, it would almost be counted as a HUD squish (opposite of stretch) I think.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 19:27 

Ok... now more info on the menus

They all seem to be pre-rendered in 16:9 with the pictures and quotes...

Then for 4:3 they crop them down so they are a 4:3 resolution

But instead of also cropping for 16:10 they just resize them and squish them from 16:9 to 16:10 horizontally so that is why the 16:10 is thinner than 4:3

The red is the additon caused by 16:9 and the non red is 4:3

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 19:28 

Ok

Disclaimer: I can not be held liable for any eye injuries sustained from this picture because it looks so blurry

That's not hor+; if it were true hor+ the wings and text would line up and you would just see the extra stuff on the sides.

In this case it looks like slight hor+ combine with stretching. It's kind of moot anyway though. Typical hor+/vert- mechanics don't apply to 2D stuff like menus. There's no 3D view space being adjusted here; in this case it's just how it's scaling and placing a premade 2D image based on the resolution - completely different at a technical level than the main game.

-----edit------

Makes sense based on your second post. In any case, unfortunately it has little bearing on the 3D parts of the game. Still if they designed the menus at 16:9, makes one wonder why they didn't develop the rest of the game at that res!

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 19:30 

I definitely won't be buying BioShock until they fix the widescreen support.

I run at 1920*1200 native and I played the demo last nite. Everything felt like it was in my face. Kinda hard to explain. But now I see why....

I went to BestBuy today and they had 50+ copies of the game sitting on the shelf. I passed it up.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 19:32 

[quote]Ok

That's not hor+; if it were true hor+ the wings and text would line up and you would just see the extra stuff on the sides.

In this case it looks like slight hor+ combine with stretching. It's kind of moot anyway though. Typical hor+/vert- mechanics don't apply to 2D stuff like menus. There's no 3D view space being adjusted here; in this case it's just how it's scaling and placing a premade 2D image based on the resolution - completely different at a technical level than the main game.

Its counted as a menu stretch...

The menus are rendered in 16:9

For 4:3 they are cropped down to size

For 16:10 they are stretched down horizontally from 16:9

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 19:34 

Hey guys, is the 2K forum always this full of database errors, or have you all caused a bandwidth use surge? :P

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 19:36 
Editors
Editors

Hey guys, is the 2K forum always this full of database errors, or have you all caused a bandwidth use surge? :P

I think the later. :lol:

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 19:39 

[quote]Hey guys, is the 2K forum always this full of database errors, or have you all caused a bandwidth use surge? :P

I think the later. :lol:

Im with steef... there was a smiley I could use but I might get banned for it :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 81  Next