Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 19:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 03:45 

Well my rig is built and recently i've been noticing my extreme lack of PC games.......so i need some advice from you guys.

What to get?

My rig can run just about anything (using an 8800GTS with only a 1440x900 resolution), so that's not a problem.

The only think is that i want SINGLE PLAYER ONLY. Which is annoying how a lot of games (such as the evil EA made battlefield series) are incredibly great, however suffer from the problem that they're basically multiplayer only (and single player is just multiplayer substituted with AI).

I'm sick of multiplayer gaming, for three reasons.

1.) Every single multiplayer game is dependent on the technology that drives it. That being said the vast differences in setups (network throughput, graphics horsepower, screen resolution) cause unfair advantages and also give way to very small glitches that are taken as givens (ex. you "lagging" and missing a shot at someone causing you to lose).

2.) In all team games your teammates are 90% of the time complete idiots or complete jackasses. Period.

3.) Most games are dependent on who can manipulate the game's code in order to bypass what you would logically be able to do to gain an unfair advantage upon others (ex. building glitch in battlefield 2).

So if anyone has some really fun single player PC games to suggest, i'm all ears.

What i have:
Call of Duty 2
Counter Strike
Half Life 2
Dark Messiah
Psychonauts

What i've tried and don't want:
Battlefield Series
Command and Conquer
Supreme Commander
Company of Heroes
Anything with lego
Doom 3
Oblivion
Rainbow 6 Vegas

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 03:50 
Founder
Founder

Sim City 4 is a great sim builder, but I don't know if that kind of genre interests you (does that still count as lego?). I also found the game to wear out quickly, but it was very fun and engaging initially.

A few other games you might want to consider are Rainbow Six Vegas and any of the Total War games. Don't forget Oblivion.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 03:53 

I thought Prey was pretty fun - there were times that really messed with my head, but overall I thought it was a good game.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 04:05 

*edited first post*

Well I don't like Oblivion personally because it looks like crap with settings on medium and with settings on high it's a gigantic system hog. I don't care what the gameplay is like if it looks like it was made 10 years ago and is incredibly slow (yeah, i'm picky).

And i don't like R6 Vegas because it literally made me almost throw up with the fisheye like effect when you get shot.

So.....prey is pretty good?

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 04:17 
Founder
Founder

Try turning off the motion blur then. It does help. I wouldn't let something that small turn me off of a great game, just don't get shot ;)

I can also run Oblivion fine with some decent eye candy, and I have an old 6800 GT, athlon 3500+, and just a gig of ram. Though, the game never really interested me personally.

What kind of genre are you looking for? It would help if you explained more of what you're looking for in a game also.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 04:34 

Mainly shooting games, however i can like basically any game of any genre if it's good enough. I like quirky games especially.

Katamari Damacy anyone? :lol:

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 04:35 
Founder
Founder

Try Psychonauts. It's a platformer and pretty quirky.

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay was pretty outstanding as well.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 04:43 

I apologize that i can't say every game i have tried (since that would be near impossible).

I've played and beaten psychonauts and loved it. Good suggestion though.

What type of genre is Chronicles of Riddick?

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 04:45 
Founder
Founder

Mostly Action-Adventure/FPS.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 05:09 

HL2: episode 1
F.E.A.R
Quake 4, its sorta fun.
Far Cry
Painkiller

There's a few cool shooters and Prey is a fun game too.