Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 22:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2007, 07:31 

I've recently started upgrading my PC's 4.1 sound system and am debating whether to add a center speaker. The ONLY reason I am considering this is because my @#!$%#! Xfi soundcard will NOT provide a channel to my sub if I don't have a 5.1 system. It has an option for a 4.1, but it's a lie--there is no ".1"

Those of you with Creative sound cards ... Do you game in 5.1 or 4.1? do you think adding a dedicated center is a good idea?

My current sound system: Paradigm Mini Monitors for the fronts, Atoms for the rears, old Klipsch sub, old Denon receiver ...

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2007, 08:39 

Most people use 5.1.

Essentially you can only buy 2.0, 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 right now.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2007, 08:50 
Editors
Editors

My opinion is 5.1 has to be better ... but then I have never used 4.1 ... :|

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2007, 10:02 

Thanks for responding, Paddy and DaFox.

When I switched my home theater from Dolby Prologic (4.1) to Dolby Digital (5.1) it made a huge difference. But part of that was going from analog to digital. Cleaner channel separation, etc.

But to run most PC games in EAX surround sound, you have to have an analog connection, not a digital one. Through my toslink cable, I will only get stereo, not 5.1. So I'm not sure how much of an advantage it offers.

The disadvantage, to me, is that since I'm sitting relatively close to my monitor, and thus my speakers, any difference in height, tonal quality, etc, between the three front speakers seems much more noticeable ... With my home theater, since I'm sitting a good ten feet or so from the screen/speaker setup, it doesn't matter as much that the center speaker is at a much lower height than the front left and right speakers. With just the front left and right speakers, I get a decent phantom center sound, and since the left and right speaker are at the exact same height, a sound effect doesn't suddenly drop and then rise when I turn in a game and the sound pans across the front speakers ...

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2007, 10:05 

Most people use 5.1.

Are you talking about sound cards, or speakers?

I just added a separate receiver to my system, so I can pretty much run any number of speakers that my sound card supports ... but since it's a Creative card (I'm learning to hate that company) if I want to run 4.1, I only actually get 4 (Creative won't allow a sub when you select 4.1). Hence my experimenting with a center speaker.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2007, 10:14 

[quote]Most people use 5.1.

Are you talking about sound cards, or speakers?

I just added a separate receiver to my system, so I can pretty much run any number of speakers that my sound card supports ... but since it's a Creative card (I'm learning to hate that company) if I want to run 4.1, I only actually get 4 (Creative won't allow a sub when you select 4.1). Hence my experimenting with a center speaker.

I ment speakers, soundcards should support most setups.

In your case its slightly differnt but when you buy a PC Speaker bundle there is almost no 4.1 packages its almost all 5.1 now days.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2007, 14:30 
Editors
Editors

I have a 4.1 system which i bought about 6 years ago now (creative)

I'd say def go for a 5.1 system because with 4.1, some games don't support this setting so the closest you can get is 5.1 . Selecting that means you don't hear things directly in front of you as you don't have the center channel.

I have a custom sound driver/software which supports 4.1 so i can get the rest of my sound perfectly, but there's really no reason not to buy a 5.1 setup now.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2007, 15:28 

I never cared for a center channel. Either one is fine, but I think you'll have an easier time finding 5.1

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2007, 19:41 

eZ - I have yet to run into a game that supports surround sound but won't play in 4.1 ... Well, no, maybe Doom III was like that, but Creative eventually put out a patch ... I think EAX may convert some 5.1 games into 4.1? Either way it hasn't been a problem yet. Wonder if Vista with its poor sound support is going to make a difference ... What sound card are you using? And what is the deal with your custom sound driver? How did you get it?

skeeder--I think I'm with you. For one thing, I just don't where the hell to put it on my desk, except directly under my monitor, where it will stick out like a sore thumb (wife won't be too happy about the new speaker either: "I thought you said you weren't going to buy any more speakers!!!!")

As for having an easier time finding 5.1, if you mean speaker-wise, I already have a decent 4.1 setup ... Saw a center on Craigslist and I started wondering if I should switch to 5.1 ..

A question I still have is: Is there better sound quality, better clarity, with 5.1 distinct channels as opposed to four?

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2007, 23:34 
Editors
Editors

5.1 is better for sure.

7.1 is overkill I had it and actually downgraded it to 5.1 because for one its hard to have an area for good positoning of 7.1 speakers and 2, most things dont support it.

For the best localization tho, belive it or not... 2 speaker headphones.

I have my 5.1 setup perfectly and I can definitly do better with my headset on, also the x-fi cards have a great 3dcmss headphone mode... some games like BF2/Bf2142 are actually made for it I belive. Was playing 2142 earlier and wow its great like that. I miss the bass of the 5.1 setup tho. (everybody in the house doesnt tho :P)