Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 15:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone Playing UT3
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2007, 21:37 

If you are what do you think of the graphics?? Overall I found them disappointing despite playing at 1920 x 1200 latest patch and cat drivers and everything set to max.
This just an observation by the way not a request for help.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2007, 12:52 

I know that there is some tweaks for eye-candy in unreal 3, found a program on the sites forum (have to find it again :roll: )

But maybe that is working, because if you don't have directx 10 then the world detail will be set to 1 :(

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2007, 18:27 

Perhaps I need to install under Vista and see if there's any difference.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2008, 17:43 
Editors
Editors

I'm playing it ... it took some sorting with Mutators to get TripleHead playable.
I've been having a blast ... all be it with bots only ... :mrgreen:
Here's a narrow escape ... lol ...

I think it looks good but it is no where near as good as the the pre-release shots seemed to indicate.
More shots here ... everything on max ... no AA as it is in XP.
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/

I just wish there was a way to remove those really annoying Player Names from over your teams heads and all those "You killed ... bla bla bla " messages etc.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2008, 09:08 

For anyone interested in the current community requests for changes to the game, you should check out this thread over at epic.

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=593340

There are a lot of things on the list including the death messages.

I personally have been waiting ages for this game to arrive but imo it was churned out 6 months early due to cross platform commitments and the usual corporate "holiday season" inflate our bottom line scenario.

I am keeping a close eye on patches etc to see which way epic are heading before actually purchasing the game.

And just for those that are interested, there is NO CHANCE that they will be doing away with the Gamespy reliance at all.
Cant say i am enthralled with that but such is life :(

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2008, 16:08 
Editors
Editors

I'm a little puzzled... if you don't have DX10 the world detail is set to lowest? Sure, when I load into a level it looks like suckage, but then the textures load and it looks fine...

Oh, I'm playing UT3, but it's just reminding me why I don't play online FPS games. ;)

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2008, 21:24 

I've seen a few other screen shots and they look tacky as well.
Pshift are you asking Paddy or myself. I've got the world detail on the max it'll go.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2008, 18:24 

The game looks more or less like Gears of War to me, which is expected. Not that it's a bad thing. Same engine and studio after all.
I think the game looks excellent, though that might be because it's one of the first new games I've been playing since I bought a new machine...

There's a recurring minor problem with UE3 where it doesn't always load the textures right when you pop into a game (might take a few seconds before they appear). Happens in Gears and Bioshock as well.
Don't know about you guys, but my World Detail is at 5 and works. Should be that way for everyone; no one should be locked at 1.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2008, 14:04 
Editors
Editors

My only real complaint with UT3 (and most of the other UE3 games) is that HDR/bloom is way overdone. That and the game's options have been reduced to "console-tard" level.

But the gameplay is OK. It's not awesome, but then there isn't really a new game mode, so it's basically UT2004 with tarted up graphics and a dumbed-down interface. Hoverboards are pretty cool. I'm playing it, but I'm not left with a, "Wow, this is really good" like I was with UT2004.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2008, 04:22 

I went from liking it to being apathetic towards it. Graphically it's merely 'ok' to me.

Something about it feels less cohesive and integrated compared to previous UTs even taking into account how the engine now lightmaps static meshes properly (before they stood out like a sore thumb, took ages when skinning to get them right). That along with the usual Unreal Engine 3 'problems' really killed my enthusiasm for the game.

And for reference i've been an unreal fanboy since 1998 (and proud of it) i've bought every Unreal/UT game on day of release except UT3 and I've been mapping for Unreal since Unreal 1... http://mapraider.com/member/?memberid=74#maps

But with this game I've just felt completely underwhelmed, even though I think the gameplay itself is a step in the right direction over 2k3/2k4, there are too many rough edges and console traits in it for me to truly feel compelled to spend the hours and hours with it that I did with earlier UTs. On top of that there is this 'too close to gears of war' look about it (and I liked Gears on 360!) and a loss of the old, more colourful unreal spirit/universe.

It's not a bad game (like Bioshock for example) and easily a 7 or 8 out of ten to the right players but I guess with games like Crysis/Sandbox2 being absolutely jaw dropping on my system I find it harder now to be pleased with merely above average, especially as I've got limited time at the moment to play so I only play the absolute best (HL2 EP2, Crysis etc).