Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 11:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Xbox Live Downtime
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2008, 07:25 

Anyone else being affected?

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2008, 10:43 
Insiders
Insiders

yep, it's to busy..

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2008, 10:58 

After (almost) 12 days, apparently it's "fixed."

The disclaimer is gone and mine is working perfectly....

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2008, 18:26 

Yeah, kinda sucked that it was down all holiday week. They said it's getting better for the most part and while not everything is fixed, they're constantly working on it. Or something to that effect. It's on Major Nelson's blog somewhere.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2008, 21:28 

Last week I could log in but couldn't retrieve any messages. Now I can't even log in. So I guess it's not fully up to par again, yet.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2008, 13:16 

Clan friend of a friend of mine called and talked with Microshit for 5 hours when this started just to find out it wasn't his internet or xbox that it was the service being tanked. Appearantly a quarter million new Live users is enough to wipe out Live servers.

Btw, just wanted to give you some insight on this:

Every game has it's own Live connection server, manages messages and everything from the central Live hub, that's why one game's Live capibility can be gone entire for "repairs/issues" while another is up fine.

This is just an example, but think like this:
dashboard.xboxlive.microsoft.com
halo3.*
gearsofwar.*
callofduty4.*
arcade.*

Etc.

Well Dashboard is still messed up because there's still a quarter million (250,000) retards who set up their first account on the xbox as a live account, so whenever they turn their box on it signs into live right away. Dashboard will be messed up for the next few days still (i can message and get my messages, but i can't sign onto messenger, live manages that btw.)

Halo3 for the most part is back up.
Gears of War suffered only a day or two.
Call of Duty 4, you were lucky if you even connected.
Arcade, ghost town.

I have like 5 more Live games none of which I really cared about that were fine online, so yeah. THANKS FOR THE WONDERFUL HOLIDAY SEASON MICROSHIT! GREAT JOB DROPPING THE F-CKING BALL JACKASSES. Everyone who activated Live before Dec 25th, should get a free month of Live for the 2 weeks of downtime we've had to suffer! (I've been a member since mid-november, and have gotten used to playing my GoW and Halo3 during work, tyvm.)

This is complete bullshit, I'm going to demand my free month, you guys should join in.

BTW, gamertag is TheCynagen.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2008, 19:16 

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSKRA42777820080104

To apologize for the downtime, they are giving out a free Live Arcade title of your choice. I think they could do a little better than that, but I'm not going to make a big deal of it.
It's unfortunate that we pretty much couldn't play anything during the holidays, I don't think they had expected such great holiday sales. While they are blaming the influx of new users, they are admitting their problems and are addressing it...I wouldn't pick up a torch and march to the castle with the forum kiddie mob.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2008, 22:22 

they are giving out a free Live Arcade title of your choice.
Like all of the free Live Arcade games so far, i'm guessing that this is not going to be "of your choice."

Halo was working fine for me, but I still haven't been able to get on COD4 at all.

Ah well, until then it's back to Assassin's Creed and some good ol' PC gaming. Far Cry anyone? :twisted:

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2008, 23:29 

"Whitten said all Xbox Live members around the world would be able to freely download one game over the service." I hate when they're vague. I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2008, 23:44 
Editors
Editors

It'll probably be a choice of one of the five worst-selling Live games. ;)