Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 09 Sep 2024, 10:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Spore, EA, DRM, etc.
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2008, 19:06 
Editors
Editors

Very interesting developments:
Gamasutra
Kotaku
Amazon

I skipped Bioshock, took a pass on Mass Effect, and will skip Crysis Warhead now that I know it, too, uses the same overly-restrictive DRM. I've never purchased or installed a Starforce-protected product, and now it seems EA's SecuROM gets to join the club.

While I know why EA does what they do, I think it's guaranteed that if they continue down this road, the backlash will only increase. Penalizing paying customers because of the actions of pirates is just bad judgment, and they are polarizing the industry's customer base. For me, I'm sticking with Brad Wardell's camp: pirates don't get a vote. Has no one at EA read Stardock's forums? The folks there LOVE Stardock because the games are great and they get treated as customers, not criminals. I'm not a marketing or PR professional, but I know that winning your customer's trust and respect is like sinking a self-replenishing goldmine...they will want to pay you for your products.

If the DRM is eventually stripped, I'll be happy to purchase. BTW, does anyone know if that has happened with Bioshock yet, as they promised?

PS- I had no interest in Spore as a game, anyway. The videos made it look crazy boring.

Correction I have purchased 2 Starforce games, but did not install them once I realized my mistake.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2008, 19:51 

I did same with mass effect.

I wasn't really interested in spore, just mildly curious, not enough to warrant dealing with the drm it comes with however.

I'm sure at least a few of the games I own carry starforce or misc. other drm. Heck I've seen game -demos- install them!

To protect what? a freely downloadable free piece of code hosted by the code makers themselves? Putting drm first was dumb, not removing it from a demo version is just plain lazy. If you want my cash, you'll have to work for it.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2008, 20:15 

its hilarous because Bioshock took 2 weeks to get a working crack. And by the time I downloaded...er...got mass effect, the same thing was in effect.

I have no DRM on my machine, I strip it all out and let friendly people do it for me too.

Honestly it stupid. Hackers work around it. You want a solid system? Ask for steam to put your product on it. Make it so its only offered through steam and that to play online it has to be a server registered with steam.

COME ON. Valve did it right...EA is so big and mighty they'll fall flat on their faces before they decide this.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2008, 20:36 
Editors
Editors

I knew I wasn't alone on this issue. :wink:

I agree, Steam is an extremely well-balanced platform. Years ago I wanted nothing to do with it, but now it is a terrific content delivery/product protection system that most of all, is easy for me to use and enjoy.

A few IMOs on various DRM:

1. CD or DVD checks: antiquated method, unacceptable.
If I install 100% of the content to hard disk, my CD should be unnecessary to play the game.

2. One-time, permanent online activation: acceptable and encouraged.
Steam has this built-in, and it's the best compromise between convenience and copy protection. Also, I can backup my Steam games, move them to a new PC, reload and play them (single player) without needing to connect to Steam again for authentication.

3. Limited installations: unacceptable.
Beyond a single activation, I should never again need to "ask permission" to use a product I have purchased. Ever. Period. End of story.

4. DRM services/drivers that stay resident all the time and screw up the functionality of my PC: totally unacceptable.
At this point you are generating serious ill-will on my part, and I simply will not allow a product on my PC that screws with my property.

EA needs to be reminded that human beings are really not that complicated:
Make them happy - they will come back for more Happy
Make them unhappy - they will leave you
Make them angry - they will attack you

...they're pushing really hard on number 3.....

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2008, 21:39 

I've experienced steam purely because one of my previous ati cards came with a 'hl2 voucher'. Of course to get the game I payed for with the card I had to install steam, drm and all.

And the activation is not anywhere near once-only. I've ran steam in offline mode most of the times, when I downloaded separate mods and installed them to the hl2 dir I could -not- use them unless I went back to online-mod. All files are already installed why would I need to do that?

A cd check is still the best and least agravating solution with one caveat. At install time the setup system should be able to get a 'signature' from your physical cd and from then on could run without it.

No more cd checks past that, no system crippling, stealth installed drivers either.

Can't say I miss manual/page codes protections, if it would mean the banishment of drm/online activations though, I'd welcome it back.

Heck, include a 16mb flash drive in the box with per-box specific hash keys or rom hardware part or whatever, needed to run the installer and you've got a physical block to anyone that would copy the cd/dvd.

Point is, there are plenty of ways that would neither be a customer pain nor an ineffective pirate prevention system that you could use. EA and the rest are just too lazy and money-grubbing to make use of em.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2008, 22:17 

Every game should be released on steam...problem solved (for me anyways)

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2008, 22:26 
Insiders
Insiders

A cd check is still the best and least agravating solution with one caveat. At install time the setup system should be able to get a 'signature' from your physical cd and from then on could run without it.

How would that help? If you're in the process of installing the game, then obviously either
A: The disc is in the drive and a CD check is redundant or
B: The game is pirated and the CD check has been removed.

And if you remove the CD check after installing, you've just defeated the whole point of the CD check in the first place. The point is to prevent people who normally would not pirate games from going "Oh, I can lend my disc to the entire neighborhood and everyone can enjoy my game!"

Heck, include a 16mb flash drive in the box with per-box specific hash keys or rom hardware part or whatever, needed to run the installer and you've got a physical block to anyone that would copy the cd/dvd.

Casual pirates (as in people who don't know about P2P networks, cracks, and don't intend to break laws but might lend eachother install discs without thinking about the consequences) would just lend eachother the flash drive, and Internet pirates would just download a copy that was cracked by some group.

Basic CD check is pretty much the best copy protection you can build into a game distributed by discs. The way I see it, copy protection can only stop casual pirates, and will not affect Internet pirates. CD checks effective in stopping casual pirates, and doesn't waste time or annoy consumers for the sake of trying to stop Internet pirates. And for those of us who want the convenience of not needing a disc in the drive, the CD check is easily bypassed.

Post subject: Re: Spore, EA, DRM, etc.
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2008, 23:45 
Insiders
Insiders

I skipped Bioshock, took a pass on Mass Effect, and will skip Crysis Warhead now that I know it, too, uses the same overly-restrictive DRM. I've never purchased or installed a Starforce-protected product, and now it seems EA's SecuROM gets to join the club.

Same here, also disc checks drive me batshit. They need to be done away with.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2008, 23:49 

And for those of us who want the convenience of not needing a disc in the drive, the CD check is easily bypassed.

Yeah, by using modified .exe released by the same kind of people that control bot-nets and make trojans.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2008, 00:35 
Insiders
Insiders

This is why i LOVE cracks.

I bought both Bioshock and Mass Effect but waited for a crack to get released before i bothered to install them. I too, have no DRM crap on my hard drive. And if i do, it's dormant.

I figured that EA would get its head out of it ass after Spore came out fully cracked three days before it was released. I have a friend that bought it last week and he was telling me the authentication tool is giving him errors and crashes, and thus he wasn't able to complete the install and play. After tossing him a Gamecopyworld link he got it working in minutes.

Just another example of these measures hurting legitimate buyers and, if anything, making the pirates (talk like a piratre day, Sept 19) wait an extra few days.

At least it's not Starforce.

My only problem with Steam is the lack of tangible item, such as the box, a pretty DVD, and a manual. But if the price is low enough compared to a physical copy then it makes up for it. Oh and downloading huge games really chews up my bandwidth. (i'm loosely limited to 100gb per month)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next