Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Oct 2024, 13:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2009, 16:47 

Editorial contributions to the site by me, I file under the name "The Ramblings of a Moron" for naming continuity, and to warn of non-perfect editorial skills. (Not to mention the high probability of completely moronic things being said.) This is me trying to improve my written communications as well as contribute at the same time. Without further delay:

The Ramblings of a Moron, Articles by Cynagen
This post does not reflect the views, opinions, or stance of Widescreen Gaming Forum and it's staff. It is only of my own, so anything you have against it, PM me or comment.

"I swear, this time it wasn't me." Some of the best words uttered in this awesome game for a classic movie. There's been a massive pulse of energy, unleashing many many ghosts, some very familiar (Stay Puft ring a bell?), and plenty of new ones to keep you guessing what may come out of the wall (or in some instances off of it) to get you.

Not only has the aforementioned pulse unleashed the large fluffy (not to mention tasty) beast once again, it's flooded the city's older buildings with a new batch of ghosts for you to shoot with your Proton Beam, slam around into things to weaken them, and then finally bag them in the trap. The concept simple, the execution, sometimes a little more difficult than you'd expect. It's not the controls, not by any means at all, it's those buggers, the ghosts. They will FIGHT you and your Proton beam to stay free to torment innocent New Yorkers. While repetitive, the gameplay is very enjoyable, and the story well compliments the feel of the movie. It also helps to bring back the ORIGINAL CAST of the Ghostbusters crew to reprise their roles in the game.

Honestly, this is the paragraph where I outline the downfalls of the game, and it's been a little bit of hard pressed thinking to come up with a few detractors. First, the actual ghost hunting, it's all a very repetitive ordeal, use the scanner, find ghost energy in a room, shoot ghost, switch to holding beam, drag to trap, pull down into trap, viola. The music while very much inspired directly from the movie, becomes repetitive. There appears to only be one track for every type of event. Searching, found/attack/trapping, and the music direct from the movie, an ambient 'all clear' type. The music leaves little to no lasting impression other than "Oh, heard this plenty of times." You will eventually be able to tune out or turn off the music since you'll know exactly what's suppost to be playing at every stage of the map.

Other than the few minor setbacks, the game is overall a solid performer. I can see the replay value being very good, even for being a great game made from a classic movie. The jokes are fresh, the scenarios all new, there's plenty to enjoy here ignoring the detractors.

Scoring:
Graphics: 9/10 (They definitely make use of high end cards here.)
Audio: 6/10 (The music is very Ghostbusters circa, but does get repetitive.)
Action: 8/10 (The Search-Wrangle-Trap-Clear works well, but also is repetitive.)
Re-playability: 8/10 (This game will be great to play through multiple times, you'll catch plenty you missed before if you're like most people and don't fully explore each level until after running through the game once or twice.)
Value to Cost: 9/10 (Great game, great movie basis, great story, cool ghosts, your very own Proton pack, hehe.)
Overall: 80% (Repetitive action and music are the games biggest and seemingly only downfalls.)

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2009, 23:00 

Repetitive action and music are the games biggest and seemingly only downfalls.
Though big ones considering it's also based on a movie which most whom play it will have no doubt seen both versions of it if not the animated TV series as well. To be honest, I got a bit tired of the GB movies after GB2. Word is they are still pursuing GB 3, but without Rick Moranis. It's a bit confusing as to whether it will be animated or real life though.

"During the 1990s, Dan Akroyd's concept for Ghostbusters III, under various working titles, revolved around "Ghostbusters in Hell"...In 2002, Akroyd said the film would be animated....Filming may begin in late 2009."

Maybe it's just the way Wiki worded it, but would you really use the word "filming" for an animated movie? Seems to be production would be the term to use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostbusters_franchise

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2009, 23:43 

[quote]Repetitive action and music are the games biggest and seemingly only downfalls.
Though big ones considering it's also based on a movie which most whom play it will have no doubt seen both versions of it if not the animated TV series as well. To be honest, I got a bit tired of the GB movies after GB2. Word is they are still pursuing GB 3, but without Rick Moranis. It's a bit confusing as to whether it will be animated or real life though.

"During the 1990s, Dan Akroyd's concept for Ghostbusters III, under various working titles, revolved around "Ghostbusters in Hell"...In 2002, Akroyd said the film would be animated....Filming may begin in late 2009."

Maybe it's just the way Wiki worded it, but would you really use the word "filming" for an animated movie? Seems to be production would be the term to use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostbusters_franchise

They should have used 'production' instead of 'filming'. And as for the downfalls being big, I wouldn't call them disastrously huge. This game is a great addition to the Ghostbusters franchise, even if the gameplay is a little repetitive, and the music is forgettable. Anyone who's watched at least the first movie will appreciate this title, I myself have seen both movies, and only the new Ghostbusters animated series back on Kids' WB! couple years back.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2009, 19:57 

Well all I'm saying is, unless you're really psyched about seeing the Ghostbuster franchise continue, which I can take or leave, a game like this, which doesn't add much new to what the movies had from what I've read, is going to be a take or leave situation too.

IMO, they'd have been wise to either make this game with the content described in the yet to be seen Ghostbusters 3 movie, or make an entirely different story with the same characters and theme, much like Lucas Arts did with the Indie Jones games and some of the Star Wars games.

Rehashing the same old material is repetitive and lazy on their part, and just makes it obvious you're buying into a franchise they're milking rather than building on with new content. It's for those whom have no problem going out and buying action figures, even though they've seen these characters over and over in the movies and TV series.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2009, 20:00 

Well all I'm saying is, unless you're really psyched about seeing the Ghostbuster franchise continue, which I can take or leave, a game like this, which doesn't add much new to what the movies had from what I've read, is going to be a take or leave situation too.

IMO, they'd have been wise to either make this game with the content described in the yet to be seen Ghostbusters 3 movie, or make an entirely different story with the same characters and theme, much like Lucas Arts did with the Indie Jones games and some of the Star Wars games.

Honestly, I was psyched for this to come out. Glad it is out now. Can enjoy it and have been.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2009, 20:06 

Well my take on it is it was fun at first, but needs a new approach. The big old StayPuff guy and the same old lines, characters and story get old really fast.

I have no doubts whatsoever had they made the game about the story in GB3, they'd have had a lot more people interested in playing it. Instead the average ratings are well below 80%, and even that only due to the cult following not minding revisiting the same old corny stuff.

The movies were made some time ago, and today the humor used in them is a bit outdated and tame.