Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Sep 2024, 23:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Acrophobia in games
PostPosted: 02 Jul 2009, 05:03 

Anyone ever get any symptoms? How strong? Like when dealing with bottomless pits or ledges and the like.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2009, 08:50 
Insiders
Insiders

Only in real life, and only until rationality comes in. Games? Nope. But a lot of people are freaked out by stuff like that in a game. Or movie.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2009, 10:21 

I'll admit it, I've had it in some fps games on certain maps. I think the worst I got was in Unreal multiplayer on a map with a lot of skyscrapers and rooftop sniping (I think the map was Zeitgeist or something like that) I also got it in Mirrors edge in a few places. I had it watching some movies also (not on tv, only when using our projector) I've never had it in FSX though and that seems strange to me. I like to fly the Ultralight over the grand canyon but it just doesn't get to me like being on a rooftop in other games. I get it pretty bad on Ferris wheels also. the only way I can ride one is if I look straight out in front of me, never down.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2009, 12:09 
Editors
Editors

Not in games. And in real life, I can stand at the edge of a cliff with no problems... it's when I climbing them and get 3/4's of the way up that looking down isn't a good idea... :)

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2009, 16:57 
Founder
Founder

Not in games, though I have it in real life. Haven't played many games with the opportunity. I do get motion sick in real life and in games.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2009, 19:05 

Games, not what so ever. In real life I do get it depending on the situation, easy in tall buildings (not houses though). Occasionally on cliffs.

Was it dafox that I chatted with once who actually got it in games. I remember someone on the forum I chatted with.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2009, 19:52 

Games, not what so ever. In real life I do get it depending on the situation, easy in tall buildings (not houses though). Occasionally on cliffs.

Was it dafox that I chatted with once who actually got it in games. I remember someone on the forum I chatted with.

Games I have very sparse very minor cases. Exclusively in urban settings, and I have to be very high up and in a mood where I am like Shit I cant fall (as I would be in real life) so http://www.kzmod.com is the number one game that I ever feel anything from. And thats really only because I can spend 10 minutes climbing up the building look down and go oh shit I really do not want to fall now.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2009, 20:49 

I get it sometimes, though more from high ledges where I can see everything below vs bottomless pits. It has to be a game that really pulls off that feeling well though. For the most part it doesn't effect me, but in real life, you bet. I even get a bit creeped out looking straight down out a window from a high floor in a skyscraper, esp if I can feel the building sway in the wind.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2009, 21:58 

I'll get a twinge of it in some games. In WoW, for instance, I can feel it a little bit when I fly out over the Twisting Nether in Outland.

In real life, it can hit me pretty bad sometimes. There's a walking bridge here in Nashville across the Cumberland river that's about 30 feet wide. I start getting really nervous when I approach the sides, even with the 4 foot railings. I look over anyway, though :).

Ironically, when I'm up in a plane, however small, I have absolutely no problem.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2009, 22:37 

Ironically, when I'm up in a plane, however small, I have absolutely no problem.
Yeah, me too, that's weird isn't it? I DO get nervous in a small land plane as it approaches the runway though. It didn't help that the only one I've ever flown in was piloted by a neighbor of mine that was practicing his landings via "touch and goes", hopping the plane a bit as he did so. I helped him wash and wax the plane once and he took me around the Puget Sound at dusk. Even let me fly it a bit, very cool. It was a little Piper Cub that he was jointly leasing with a bunch of other coworkers at Boeing.

I have flown in a small sea plane too, and I don't have the same problem landing on water. Something about the reassuring look of the softer surface I guess. I'm sure there are just as many potential dangers landing on water though.