Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 15:17

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Dragon Age: Origins
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2009, 04:37 

Bioware's latest work shall grace our PCs in November.

The big question...

Are we finally getting a 3D Baldur's Gate, or more Neverwinter Nights?

I would settle for a 3D Icewind Dale at this point. Or any 3D Infinity Engine game. Or just a remake of an Infinity Engine game.

Please, no more Neverwinter Nights.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2009, 05:08 

The 30 minute walkthrough I watched made it obvious combat is a triumph.

I am only worried about story at this point, but Mass Effect did that so right, so I have high hopes.

The mod community will make it worth $50 even if the game sucks.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2009, 12:02 
Editors
Editors

I've got it on pre-order.

I must confess, I'm not happy they want to charge you for DLC on the day of release. I think that's flamin' cheeky - blatantly content ripped out of the game so they could charge extra for it.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2009, 19:05 

blatantly content ripped out of the game so they could charge extra for it.

I don't think that's true, if you read the description it sounds very much like DLC.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2009, 20:47 
Editors
Editors

If they'd waited a month for DLC, I'd agree. It's the launch day thing that bugs me. Even a fortnight and I'd be able to stomach it a little better.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2009, 21:05 

Yeah, I agree, I am just saying from the sounds of the content I doubt it was in the game and then removed.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2009, 21:35 

Yeah, I agree, I am just saying from the sounds of the content I doubt it was in the game and then removed.

Well yes but it could have just been put into the game.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2009, 22:23 

[quote]Yeah, I agree, I am just saying from the sounds of the content I doubt it was in the game and then removed.

Well yes but it could have just been put into the game.

Well, they could have also delayed 6 months and added another 20 hours. I think the essential thing is that the game feels complete without the DLC, and I have a feeling Dragon Age will due to its size and early reviews/previews.

For instance, Oblivion had a locked door in the main game that can only be unlocked with DLC. That is a lot worse to me than day-one content...

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2009, 04:53 
Insiders
Insiders

Frankly, it sounds like a scam to me. Baldur's Gate could have been "complete" too if Minsc and the quest to rescue Dynaheir were sold separately (New NPCs! New quests! New battle cries! Witty and clever dialogue! A miniature giant space hamster! Available exclusively online for only $9.99!)

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2009, 05:59 

Frankly, it sounds like a scam to me. Baldur's Gate could have been "complete" too if Minsc and the quest to rescue Dynaheir were sold separately (New NPCs! New quests! New battle cries! Witty and clever dialogue! A miniature giant space hamster! Available exclusively online for only $9.99!)

As I said though, read the decription of the content and it sounds like add-on content, not real game content. It sounds like something you would release after the main game, not like something that would be a part of the game right off.

As I said in some other DLC debate, the game moves through different stages and has been done for a long time now, content wise... they spent the last 8 months doing nothing but porting the already existing content to the consoles. In that time it makes sense their artists, designers and quest makers were working on DLC, which is why it is ready at launch I would guess. Now, one could argue they should put all that into the release anyway, since it is complete, but it's not like the main game is lacking anything from the sounds of it... 200 hours? Mod tools? I think we're good.

Mod tools bring up something else... both of the main DLC "culprits" on PC, Bethesda and Bioware, release mod kits for the same games. At least they are not actively trying to destroy modding to sell their add-ons like Infinity Ward seems to be doing with Modern Warfare 2... you really don't need the DLC, you can make your own or play community made quests. It is purely optional.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next