Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 May 2024, 06:31

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 08:18 

I might write up a short FAQ of getting it up and running quickly (no no-one needs to google and read a load of documentation like I did)

A very comprehensive well-written guide to improving the graphics, gameplay etc of Morrowind + Expansions on a modern system is already available at:

http://morrowind2009.wordpress.com/

It is a long page and covers the Morrowind Graphics Extender, mods, tweaks etc etc

[Vality’s trees and grass mod is particularly transforming] :)

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2010, 22:30 

You know there is a morroblivion mod too. It recreates morrowind for the oblivion engine. YOu just board a ship and you appear in Sayda Neen. Its pretty sweet.

http://morroblivion.com/

Its looks better than the mge, but it just the world, no missions or anything and it doesnt draw distance objects like cities or landmarks unless they have been written into the mod(which is very few). Its worth a try though, just to look around. The mod is kinda old and the author stopped working on it years ago. It could of been amazing if it was completed. Still it works fairly well and will make your jaw drop the first time you see it running.

Although I found the MGE awesome, it has a serious flaw since the gamecode for morrowind isnt multithreaded, it generally runs poorly when you increase the draw distance.

But morroblivion runs great since that version of gamebyro engine uses 3 or more cpu cores. I doubt those screenshots you showed were running more than 5-10 frames per second. However if you found a way to run that mod with super long draw distances and 60 fps, please let me know how.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2010, 23:32 

The mod is kinda old and the author stopped working on it years ago. It could of been amazing if it was completed.

The author(s) were stopped by Bethesda. Morrowind is still sold in stores and the mod was/is primarily a dump of existing MW assests into the Oblivion engine.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 00:49 

It was a program that allowed you to dump assets, it didnt actually contain any Morrowind assets.

ALso the mod wasnt shut down so much as topics pertaining to it on the official bethesda forums were locked. The author was not served with legal papers or threatened in any way.

Im pretty sure the author (it was 1 frenchman who didnt speak english) stopped working on it not because he was stopped by Bethseda, but because he was pissed off that they would even consider his mod a threat to their business, which in my opinion, it really wasnt at all.

In fact Im pretty sure Bethseda didnt lose a dime because of the mod.You could even argue that it might of caused someone to go out and purchase a copy of Morrowind so they could use the mod.

Also, since the possibility of missions being added to Morroblivion was nil since they would have to be rewritten completely, the mod in no way replaced morrowind, it just added another area to explore in Elder Scrolls 4.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 14:34 

Offtopic here

We just need one of these for DeusEx1 and we will be laughin!

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 18:16 

ALso the mod wasnt shut down so much as topics pertaining to it on the official bethesda forums were locked. The author was not served with legal papers or threatened in any way.

Thanks, I should have clarified better about what I meant with using the game assets. However, I would say Bethesda was definitely more involved than just closing topics on their forums.

http://thenexusforums.com/index.php?showtopic=49000&st=0&start=0

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2011, 05:21 

Morrowind 2011 compilation released. Killed(sort of).

http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/elder-scrolls-morrowind/news/morrowind-2011-graphical-project-is-attacked-slain-and-looted-by-modding-community/a-2011010784839437023/g-20060330151844646032

Anyone try it?

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2011, 05:03 

Morrowind 2011 compilation released. Killed(sort of).

linkified

Anyone try it?

I tried it, but it kills the framerate on my computer too badly to be playable. I'm talking 2-5 FPS here, and that's with the extra bling turned off in MGE. Morrowind is very much CPU bound, and not multi(hardware)threaded. To me it's just not worth it as the game is great on its own. Granted the graphical improvements were pretty damned impressive. I might get the body, clothing and animation mods on their own, though. The blocky characters and animations always kind of bothered me.

For anyone who still wants to try it, the compilation can still be found here. I took a screenshot of the website for the instructions before it was taken down, and this can be downloaded here.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2011, 08:29 

Cool pack. I don't understand the deal with The Elder Scrolls series modders. I've been in and seen many modding communities for many games. Everywhere i've been people have been friendly and generous with their knowledge, mods, whatever. Only here do all the creators act like total jackasses all around.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2013, 15:52 

Sorry to reopen such an old thread, but after searching the forums I thought this one the most adequate for my question.
I am using Morrowind Graphics Extender 0.9 as part of the Morrowind Graphics Overhaul mod collection. I have three 24" monitors for a total resolution of 6110x1080 (bezel corrected) or 5760x1080 (uncorrected). If I enter these resolutions into Graphics Extender and select Auto FOV the game will run fine across all three monitors, but readable objects (like books, scrolls or the journal) are streched so big that I cant see the top or bottom of them. The character menu however does work fine also. I suppose this would be an easy to solve problem if I knew what I was doing ....