Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 May 2024, 05:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2007, 06:52 

On my Dell 2405 i set my screen to 0,0,0 black. My blacks seem pretty good, My brightness is currently at 100%. I notice that i can get an even darker 0,0,0, black turning the brightness down. Should i be considering this as part of my tweak ensemble or does that clip the whites too much?

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2007, 09:08 
Insiders
Insiders

Adjusting the Contrast affects the white point, adjusting the Brightness affects the black point. So you won't hurt your whites by adjusting the brightness. Turn your contrast up until you begin to clip white, then turn it down a notch. Turn your brightness down until you begin to clip blacks, then turn it back up a notch. This is the maximum contrast of your panel. After setting contrast and brightness, you can adjust the backlight to compensate for ambient room light... lower it in a darkroom, raise it in a sunny room (if you have a backlight adjustment option)

If you are getting black washout (dark scenes washed-out by the panels minimum luminance) the tutorial outlined in the first post will fix it... it should also theoretically fix black crush (an overzealous backlight bleed compensation curve built into the panels electronics) by moving the black point in the other direction in the curve.

Check for white clipping with the tests below.

Are the red, green, and blue vertical stripes distinguishable from the thin horizontal white strip at the top?

How about now? (you may need to back away a little to see them)

If you can make out all three shades in both you're seeing all you are supposed to see.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2007, 03:11 

all I can see are two uniformely white rectangles, regardless of contrast or brightness settings ...

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2007, 03:50 

Thanks, i appreciate that. I'm actually working with a 3007-hc and its blackest black is supposed to be darker than the 2405, but out of the box, it looks like a cheapo monitor because of all the blacks its clipping. Its a revision A03.

Thanks

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2007, 04:09 

Wow I can see them on both... but I am using a crt right now... I probably won't see squat on my dell screen... :D

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2007, 04:22 
Insiders
Insiders

all I can see are two uniformely white rectangles, regardless of contrast or brightness settings ...

Sounds like white crush... in your video card driver color options drag the mid-point off the graph and set the white point:

IN: 1.00
OUT: .95 or .90

and see if the color bars become visible after adjusting the contrast. This will allow you to bypass whatever your panel's electronics are doing to the white point. Lower your backlight too if that's an option. Changes are instantaneous so you can leave this page up and keep an eye on the sample images while you adjust.

Click for a larger image

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2007, 11:08 

No equivalent to that in Ubuntu that I know of. And my backlight is already at 0.