Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 14 May 2024, 01:30

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2008, 00:51 
Editors
Editors

[quote][quote]The flickering occurred for the first minute or two, but only in the video. When I was actually recording it I didn't notice a thing.

Did you run the game fullscreen or windowed?Fullscreen.
That's good news, but has got my curiosity up.

Would you be willing to fire it up in windowed mode and just record a minute or so to see if it flickers at all?

command line:
Bioshock.exe -window

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2008, 02:22 

Certainly.

I recorded for five minutes. No flickering during any parts of it.

Although The very bottom of the window was cut off, but I'm guessing that's due to the fact that I changed the resolution in-game.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2008, 02:51 
Editors
Editors

Thanks for the testing, Dem.

On random occasions I have been able to record fullscreen without any flickering caused by the overlay, but I've been unable to find an explanation as to why it worked.

I'm hoping that the guide will get enough exposure to get the attention of a coder/developer who might know how to solve the problem, which is the only major limitation, IMO.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2008, 23:46 

The only thing I miss is, when you encode it to PICVideo, do you some other magic tricks, or are you using that file you get?

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2008, 01:39 
Editors
Editors

The only thing I miss is, when you encode it to PICVideo, do you some other magic tricks, or are you using that file you get?

Not sure I understand the question...

VirtualDub will record an .avi using MJPEG compression. You can then edit or convert the file just like a Fraps .avi file.

If I answered the wrong question just let me know and I'll try again. :)

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2008, 10:33 

If I understand it correctly, you did record with Virtual dub, to a file with MJPEG compression. But did you resize them, with an another compression, because the files that you host are Xvid and such.

Also when I encode my fraps video's with MJPEG they are really big, with something like 300 MB for 5 sec. (and a small thing, windows explorer crashes if I want to see the video then, and vlc displaying that video blue overlay like, but windows media player displays it correctly :? )

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2008, 17:12 
Editors
Editors

If I understand it correctly, you did record with Virtual dub, to a file with MJPEG compression. But did you resize them, with an another compression, because the files that you host are Xvid and such.

Also when I encode my fraps video's with MJPEG they are really big, with something like 300 MB for 5 sec. (and a small thing, windows explorer crashes if I want to see the video then, and vlc displaying that video blue overlay like, but windows media player displays it correctly :? )

All the sample footage is raw video capture to MJPEG, except for one BF2 video that I captured directly to Xvid+MP3/avi.

Did you adjust the compression slider in the MJPEG codec before re-encoding a Fraps video? You can customize quality vs. filesize as you like.

Not sure why explorer crashes, and VLC plays my video files just fine. It's possible you have some codecs clashing, or something even more nefarious going on in Windows' multimedia components (that could be causing crashes).

Have you tried loading a captured video back into VirtualDub for playback?

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2008, 23:08 

1.) The video sizes are large for initial sizes, but once you get past a certain threshold they become much smaller per second.

EX: Test clip of Bioshock: 50 seconds, 888MB
Full play of Bioshock: 30 Minutes, 5.9GB

2.) To solve the explorer crashing problem:

Control Panel
System
Advanced Tab
Performance Settings
Data Execution Prevention
"Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select: "
And then check the box for Windows Explorer.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2008, 00:12 
Editors
Editors

1.) The video sizes are large for initial sizes, but once you get past a certain threshold they become much smaller per second.

EX: Test clip of Bioshock: 50 seconds, 888MB
Full play of Bioshock: 30 Minutes, 5.9GB

That's a little surprising. My video captures have always had fairly consistent size differences based on duration.

What setting have you guys used on the MJPEG compression slider? Did you leave colorspace at 4/2/2?

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2008, 18:05 
Editors
Editors

Well I can't get it to work properly.
Anything i record ends up really jerky, no matter what codec i use, no matter what fps I enter, no matter anything.
The in-game FPS is fine however, but yet the video that is captured ends up jerky.

Here's an example of what i mean ... wdada.avi . Keyboard mash filename ... a run through of the CSS stress test.
It was recorded in "uncompressed", but I've converted it with divx to make it small enough to upload afterwards. The FPS is apparently 60.

Look at the fraps counter at the top, completely smooth fps, yet the video is all jerky. I've tried different fps values but it makes no difference. 10 or 10 gazillion, its still jerky. The fps values are the same in VDub and the recorder settings too so I aint done that wrong.

I've spent ages changing each individual setting and codec etc and trying again but the result is always the same no matter what i use. Fullscreen, windowed, no difference. I haven't set up the hotkey thing so i just tab in and out as you can see. Would that make a difference? Don't see why it would. I'm late now so can't carry on messing around with it. 8)

Specs in sig.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next